Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default The Dilemma of CAT products.....

Three years ago I bought one of those CAT cranks and a set of rods and a flywheel. After hearing all the issues with them I contacted Ken at PPR and he said he could fix it.

So I send the kit and caboodle off to Cali.This was wrong, That was wrong, took 3 slugs of metal Ect. End the end everything was pronounced good to go. Bottom line is I am now getting ready to build the engine and I am having second thoughts. I now have $1700 into a reciprocating assembly that after reading about the cast cranks breaking and all the other issues I am afraid to put this into the #'s block for the GTO.

I have another block but the point was to keep it stock on the outside. This is not a dig at Ace as I am sure he did all he could at the time to make this product usable. It is not a high HP combo just a good 450HP or so.

The crank looks good and the thrust is OK but not great. Does anyone out there have first hand knowledge running one of these? And for how long. Thanks.

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

A pissed off fat house chimp on dope would be a lot more deadly.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At that power level that rotating assembly will last a lifetime especially after being 'Ace'ed.

That is assuming proper assembly. I feel assembly of the shortblock is where a lot of problems start even with the best parts. Guys make mistakes or forget things or just dont know any better. Same goes for heads and valve train problems.

I wouldnt worry about the Cat branding at this point. I say use your investment and drive it like you stole it.

My Daddy bought me a car but all I got was this old Pontiac.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There was much publicity around the balance problems with the C.A.T. cranks during the short period of availability. If you have $1,700 in it now, that is STILL a bit "ahead of the game", as the better "kits" cost about that before balancing. Of course, they won't need the Mallory metal...

Cast cranks breaking? I'd be curious to know where this information is coming from. The vast majority have been factory cranks modified (welded, always a "bad thing" on a cast part) to fit in the 3" main blocks. I've only heard of a couple Eagle cranks actually BREAKING. One was when a block split (more power than a stock block can handle), and ALL the bearings were still fine. Another was when AllPontiac used one in their test "mule". At 750 HP, no problems. At 820, it showed cracks in the fillets, but didn't come apart. We've (CVMS) installed maybe 80 in the last 5 years, ZERO failures.

The "thrust issue" was "put to bed" 5 years ago... Eagle and Ohio both have excellent castings. Scat has a good forging....

FWIW

Jim

Old 01-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Also check where the counterweight is close against the oil pump drive. Some Ok, some not. Even with all the mallory those cranks took, breakage wasn't a problem with that casting. At your level I don't see an issue.

I have seen more factory broken cranks per useage then I have seen aftermarket crank breakage.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Ken -Ace- Brewer

If I fixed it, then it's good! I have several of those cranks in motors from back then. Well. They are still running! One of them makes over 500hp. Still alive. I would run it!

Ace

Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken -Ace- Brewer View Post
If I fixed it, then it's good! I have several of those cranks in motors from back then. Well. They are still running! One of them makes over 500hp. Still alive. I would run it!

Ace
Thanks. Like I said this was not a dig at you at all. I guess in it goes. Thanks for all the replies.

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

A pissed off fat house chimp on dope would be a lot more deadly.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya know, if you use light weight rods and pistons and pins and Hastings rings, ya don't need 2 add no metal, I bought the CAT 455 cranks @ $ 130.00 each. No problems, AND no heavy matal. Bob weights, typical- 2098 grams.

Pontiac Gregg