Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default trying times with DISH network....

After all these years (about 10) of being with DISH network I am switching. What a royal pain. "Well I can save you money right now" all the hoops but here is the best part.

I have one receiver downstairs that came when I signed up. About 5 years ago I bought a small (301) receiver and dish from Craigslist. This is what I used in the camper.

When the lady on the other end said I had to send everything back (on my dime) she mentioned the TWO receivers. I explained that I had purchased that myself 5 years ago but I would be happy to send there smart card back.

She asked if I had the receipt since according to there records it was "leased" equipment and that if I did not send it back that they would charge my credit card $$$ for the return of the "leased" equipment.

I did ask her to show where they had shipped it to me because as I said I bought it myself. Long story short I gave in and asked if there was anything else from my house that I had bought that they wanted. :smoke:

This has been the most trying thing in my life just to save a little money.

What a nightmare. I would ask you to think long and hard about doing business with this company.

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

A pissed off fat house chimp on dope would be a lot more deadly.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

i have been using them 10years too, i thought once 2 years was up the equipment was yours, when i upgraded to dvr they told me do what i want with my old reciever. but yep they are a pain in the azz!!! at one time my bill steadily went up while all later customers were paying about 2/3rd what i was, so i checked out direct and toldem i was changing to the other guys because they were raping me, i was told go ahead. after 7 years at that time i couldnt believe it but at the last minute i had decided agains direct and they decided to give me the dvr with no fee, plus my bill trickled back down abit. we have a dish customer support here which employs alot of people, and knowing a few people that WORKED there and meeting some people it seamed there even harder to work for than to deal with on the phone over services

Old 11-10-2010, 09:19 PM

Not that I'm all that sympathetic to any company, but you bought a rented receiver from someone on Craigslist that didn't have the right to sell it in the first place. Just as if someone had sold you a leased or rental car while they were renting it. It's not like buying a used piece of stereo equipment. Most sat/cable boxes and service are done under a lease. You can bet the system you bought was hot in the first place, or that the original customer skipped out with the stuff. Not that you knew that at the time of course, but it's hardly Dish's fault to expect their property returned to them.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:41 PM

Dish is very had to deal with customer service wise. I've never heard of them charging a customer to send stuff back. I know they want their LNB and their boxes but they always send a biiiig box for everything. In case you're interested in DirecTV I am an installation tech and could answer any questions about the awesome new hardware and setups that we have right now. Feel free to PM me.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach par View Post
Dish is very had to deal with customer service wise. I've never heard of them charging a customer to send stuff back. I know they want their LNB and their boxes but they always send a biiiig box for everything. In case you're interested in DirecTV I am an installation tech and could answer any questions about the awesome new hardware and setups that we have right now. Feel free to PM me.
I can pay $30 for there shipping labels or send it myself.

"Not that I'm all that sympathetic to any company, but you bought a rented receiver from someone on Craigslist that didn't have the right to sell it in the first place. Just as if someone had sold you a leased or rental car while they were renting it."

I bought the first one at the Goodwill in 2004. It died and I got another one off craigslist. These are the old 301 basic receivers. They also want the universal remote I bought to run it as well. The date of MFG on mine is 2001. If it was the latest DVR/HD or whatnot I could understand but this is old stuff.

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Senior Chief

Interesting. I just dropped Dish about a month ago due to their Fox and fx progamming issues, but They sent me a pre-paid box to ship everything in. Didn't cost me a dime.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just wait for all the phone calls wanting you back or for answers as to why you left.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren566 View Post
Interesting. I just dropped Dish about a month ago due to their Fox and fx progamming issues, but They sent me a pre-paid box to ship everything in. Didn't cost me a dime.
That's what I've experienced. I do three or four dish network swap outs everyday and there's always a big box that's prepaid with a label. I know for a fact that DirecTV always sends a box free of charged to get their receivers back.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
That's what I've experienced. I do three or four dish network swap outs everyday and there's always a big box that's prepaid with a label. I know for a fact that DirecTV always sends a box free of charged to get their receivers back.
Well I will call again tomorrow. I was told that they could send the labels for $15 eachX2 or I could do it myself.

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

Old 11-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

After many phone calls much has been resolved even though your going to love some of this.

The direct TV deal that was supposed to be saving me money by hooking up with qwest does not exist because I am already a qwest customer.

The qwest rep saying that there is no way I can save on my bill was wrong. I have found where I can and will but this has been a interesting time.

The case on the "leased" receiver. Yes they see where I turned it off two years ago and if the unit is yours you can do that but not with a leased receiver and no there is no record after where it shows that they sent me one after I turned it off. So if the unit belonged to them how was I able to turn it off...... The ghost of the computer is alive and there is no way to fix it (kinda).

They have NO PROBLEM with you buying old receivers and turning them on and off.

So how to fix this. They are going to send a box on there dime for me to return the "leased" receiver to them so I can shut off the service this winter.

In the spring I will go and buy another $20 301 receiver and have it activated. I will keep all the paperwork so that this one does not become "leased" I think that the case of me not shutting off my 301 last winter triggered something to say "MINE" in there system.

I am going to laugh if in a month a box comes back and they tell me that the receiver I sent is not theirs.

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

Old 11-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Dish is very had to deal with customer service wise.
Really? Try COMCAST!

Old 11-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I WILL NEVER WRITE A CHECK TO COMCAST THE REST OF MY LIFE!!!!

Old 11-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Three months ago I switched from Dish to Direct. They did send me prepaid boxs to send the boxes back. They also owed me 95.00 that they sais I would recieve after the next billing period. I finaly had to call them to get a refund check cut and know it is " in the mail".

I have a problem with these companys that only offer thier long time paying customers a better deal when they call to cancel. Any of these scumbag companys would have to give it to me for close to free to keep me as a customer.