THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Done with rockauto

Check out this ridiculous reply I received to an email I sent them regarding a damaged item I got from them:

"We're sorry for the problems you've experienced with so many of your items. Our records indicate that you've reported problems with 7.246% of 69 recently ordered items. This rate is far higher than the majority of our customers and, despite our best efforts to resolve those problems, continuing to accommodate such a high rate would make it impossible for us to achieve our mission of keeping auto parts affordable for everyone.

You may return the item(s) for a refund using the return instructions on our Order Status and Returns page, but please keep in mind that you would be responsible for any return shipping costs. We apologize for the inconvenience"

LMAO...........I order a lot thru them and some of what I get is either incorrectly listed or damaged/dirty stuff that was obviously someone else's return. A lot of their "wholesale special" parts are abused old stock. This particular item was damaged right out of the box and I was not going to pay return shipping for it.

Apparently they think I am scamming them, yeah like I have time for that on nickle and dime parts.
Been using them for years but no more. Pretty insulting customer service.

The Following User Says Thank You to abefromen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 04:05 PM
Senior Chief

+1.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like they don't want you for a customer - perhaps a win/win?

Old 11-07-2021, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In my repair business, my parts figures break down like this. 80% NAPA, 10% Rock Auto and 10% Advanced Parts, Auto Zone, Oreily's, Pep Boys combined. NAPA is the most expensive BUT SERVICE is excellent! They always make it right, no matter what. They always take care of problems, always honor warranties, even out of warranty in some cases. I have no problem paying more for this. They average 5-10% higher than Oreily's, Auto Zone and such and worth every penny of it. Rock Auto has one thing going for them, Low, Low prices. Often 50-75% less than all others. I expect zero to lousy service and have been rewarded with slightly better service than that. I have received cores instead of new parts, damaged parts, mis-boxed parts, and long delivery times from them. Some I just throw out, some I go through the PIA e-mail refund process. They have always taken the parts back I have tried to return. Refunds in some cases have taken 2-3 weeks to post. IMO, It's the price you pay for the cheap parts. BTW, they say you are averaging 7-8% defects and damaged parts. I am probably 5-7% defects. Cost of doing business I guess.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We order a hell of a lot of bearings, seals, rotors and the like from rockauto.

Their business model is of course straight drop shipping from warehouses or manufacturers. The selection and price are excellent.

That said, even though we spend $20K+ a year with them the service is underwhelming at best.

as mgarblik notes - the cost of doing business.

Old 11-07-2021, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have dealt with RockAuto several times. I must be the exception but I have never had a problem with them.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 09:57 PM
Senior Chief

Agree, prices and delivery are great but don't try to return anything. Last time it cost me $75 to return damaged AC parts from multiple sources.

Old 11-07-2021, 11:08 PM

There's a reason I do an unboxing video for just about every item I order online
If there's an issue, I put it on YouTube and send them a link
You'd be surprised how willing they are to get things resolved when they're in the public eye

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 98 SNAKE EATER For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 11:21 PM
Senior Chief

Using them for years. No problems but that’s just me. Maybe I was just lucky.

The Following User Says Thank You to 428goat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What grinds my gears the most is them essentially telling me I have too many returns.

Well then stop sending me incorrect, mis-boxed or someone else's used parts. It doesn't happen often but when it does happen I refuse to eat the cost of the crap part or the return shipping.
But this reply I received takes the cake. A joke.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does Fed Ex ground deliver your stuff? I've had them destroy stuff being delivered and stuff i have shipped. I was told that Fed Ex sell some of their grounds delivery routes and the company that is paid to do the route hires anyone they can to do it.

Old 11-08-2021, 03:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm guessing I've ordered from Rock maybe 40 times total ... not one mistake or damaged item ... however ... I almost always order their "upscale" products. I've never ordered one of their "economy" items, almost always the premium stuff. Use them not because of price, but because of selection, they sort the good from the cheap.

My guess is the "economy" or often "daily driver" stuff is the most returned, the most damaged and the most scammed on, and of course the lowest profit margin for Rock. The premium parts probably get better handling, inspection etc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2021, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I'm guessing I've ordered from Rock maybe 40 times total ... not one mistake or damaged item ... however ... I almost always order their "upscale" products. I've never ordered one of their "economy" items, almost always the premium stuff. Use them not because of price, but because of selection, they sort the good from the cheap.

My guess is the "economy" or often "daily driver" stuff is the most returned, the most damaged and the most scammed on, and of course the lowest profit margin for Rock. The premium parts probably get better handling, inspection etc.
I fit into this category, however my total is probably closer to 20 times. As a pro that places 1 or 2 orders a day I can understand the frustration. However as a businessman if I am ordering and have a high return rate for any reason I am finding another supplier.

I can understand their position on returns, I am sure they have a small percentage built into the price but they do not expect a high rate of failure. I return a lot of stuff to HD and Lowes, mostly because I over buy. I would rather have 3 tubes of caulk and take one back then to be on the job and need to go get one more. I have heard that these kind of stores 'flag' a person for too many returns but I havent had any problems.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2021, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Keep those receipts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I fit into this category, however my total is probably closer to 20 times. As a pro that places 1 or 2 orders a day I can understand the frustration. However as a businessman if I am ordering and have a high return rate for any reason I am finding another supplier.

I can understand their position on returns, I am sure they have a small percentage built into the price but they do not expect a high rate of failure. I return a lot of stuff to HD and Lowes, mostly because I over buy. I would rather have 3 tubes of caulk and take one back then to be on the job and need to go get one more. I have heard that these kind of stores 'flag' a person for too many returns but I haven't had any problems.
I don't know about Lowe's or HD but the only way you get flagged at the part's store I work at is "No receipt returns" This weeds out the chronic shop lifters from legit customers. Store credit is all you get.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-08-2021, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by se428bandit View Post
Does Fed Ex ground deliver your stuff? I've had them destroy stuff being delivered and stuff i have shipped. I was told that Fed Ex sell some of their grounds delivery routes and the company that is paid to do the route hires anyone they can to do it.
Most of the stuff I get from them is delivered USPS.

None of the returns I have had was due to any shipper damage. Everything I have received from them is usually pretty well packed.

Not using rockauto anymore is going to make me go thru "magnet withdrawal".......I'll miss the free fridge magnets, lol

Old 11-08-2021, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hehehe ... I forgot about the magnets ... yeah I love those things, tool box is covered in them.

A couple of times there was no magnet, I was so upset about that I almost didn't check to see if the part was right.

Old 11-08-2021, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could just do like I do. Be too lazy to return parts anyway. My garage is littered with items I bought that didn’t fit and I never bothered to return.

The one time I did return something they were pretty easy though.

I’m sure their service is lackluster but I think that’s their business model. I love their website layout. So easy to use.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2021, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the Beavis and butthead style commercials.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes pause pause

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 11-08-2021, 09:14 PM

Default Rockauto

Hmm Rockauto. I just love the way they conveniently ship items from different warehouses so they can charge us extra on shipping cost. Warehouse A,B,C, and d. Did you ever notice how your cap and rotor wires and spark plugs for the same engine ship from different locations with separate shipping charges. And what’s with all the questions for returning an item especially when it’s their fault or not. I’m sure we’re all alike I check prices on rockauto Amazon eBay summit racing and classic industries I think I save quite a bit yearly if I watch the shipping cost.

Yes I have unreturned items too because I say what’s the use or it’s to much trouble.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:23 PM
Senior Chief

I've used RockAuto for about 10 years. I've had only one return, a mis-boxed part, which they paid the return shipping on. I'm sure I've spent a good $6-7k with them in that time. I did work in the auto parts industry for 5 years, though, so maybe I understand the part #'s and ordering systems better than most.

Now, Classic Industries...sheesh....that's another story. Good thing I only lived 25 miles from them up until recently, or I would have paid shipping fees out the wazoo for returns and swaps.