Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2021, 07:38 PM
Senior Chief

Question 5-blade flex fan vs. 7-blade clutch fan for better cooling and possible HP gains

I’ve checked some previous threads under this forum for more details, but didn’t have much luck so I’m tossing this out there…

I have a ’69 Custom S (non-A/C) which originally had a 350ci/2bbl, so it had the stock fan shroud and 4-blade fan with ~1 5/16” spacer.

- Years ago I upgraded to the 19” 5-blade flex fan (Ames P154FK), and it not only helped with cooling on my 400ci, but I also picked up a few 10ths at the track. It was definitely a worthwhile upgrade!

Now I’m looking to upgrade to the 18” 7-blade clutch fan (Ames PF154GA) and heavy duty clutch (Ames P154G) for perhaps better performance and cooling benefits:

- I’m using a 3-row radiator, 50/50 coolant/water mix and a Robert Shaw 160 degree thermostat (recently changed from 190 degree.)
- The 400 runs at ~190 degrees and up to ~210 in traffic on hot 90+ degree days. It does not overheat, but I want to see about having the engine run cooler because I drive it to the track and it gets "heat soaked".
- Current 5-blade fan is half-way in and half-way out of the fan shroud, as it should be for best air flow as per Jim Hand (who also recommends using a thermo clutch fan for best results.)
- For the new 7-blade fan, I would still use the same fan shroud, ditch the spacer and bolt the fan & clutch directly to the water pump as it’s 1 5/8” from flange to fan.

1) Would there be additional cooling benefit with the 7-blade clutch fan vs. the 5-blade flex fan?

2) Is there any evidence of any gains in horsepower and/or torque from going to the clutch fan since there would be less resistance when the fan is not needed at higher speeds?

Thanks for any advice!

Jim.

* RA-IV 'spec' 400 (.060-over = 410ci), balanced, Comp Cams #9794041, #16 heads (72cc converted to large valve) with 1.65 Harland Sharp Rollers
* QuadraJet #7042210, HEI, Hurst V-Gate, FlowTech Headers, X-Pipe with dumps, Flowmasters, TH-350, 3.90 Posi
* Best ET: 14.06 - Bandimere Speedway, CO. @ 5,800+'

Last edited by tremo; 09-15-2021 at 08:00 PM.