Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-10-2019, 07:14 PM
Senior Chief

Default Complete exhaust system sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Not pickin on you, but the term noting a very high level of automotive detailing is Concours. The term is constantly butchered on this forum as well as being slaughtered by several national reproduction parts vendors in their lofty parts descriptions. One even likes to throw out the term NOS in same descriptions, though it's very obvious the part is a reproduction,

On the other hand, if all one did is order a bunch of repro parts over one's IPhone at the large gathering area in the airport or local hotel, one could use Concourse in the description
No problem Roger, I don’t consider it picking on me. I actually agree with what you say here. You know a lot of stuff and are very knowledgeable, just not on this subject.

Question was asked earlier here about cost so I wanted to be accurate. I don’t answer many questions here unless I am positive what I say is the correct answer.

Gardner sells a standard exhaust system with different clamps and hangers. With the “concourse upgrade” you get correct looking clamps and hangers for $150 more if you like.

For the 72 GTO the splitter to tailpipe tolerance is very tight, you will need Original splitters or Gardner’s, others won’t work.

If you don’t have a 72 with that splitter to tailpipe set up ( don’t need the splitters) and don’t care about the “concourse upgrade” you can save $ 450 right there plus the shipping if you’re close. Brings down the cost quite a bit which is why I mentioned the year and the concourse package.

One can not order a system on their iPhone or computer, only way to deal with Gardner is over the phone.

Hate when I see the NOSR acronym, oxymoron. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by DavesGTO; 12-10-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gardner's price jump for auto? Resonators. 67 stick cars didn't use them, they also used a larger diameter tailpipe. As far as I know, there is NO difference in fitment between the two. Food for thought.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave .. thanks much for the reply. Just what I wanted to know. So basically Gardner would not be cost effective for my plain jane 68 GTO hardtop.

I am assuming the extra $200 is for the J-pipe resonators on 68 GTOs with auto trans. ...That's the only difference I see.

Why would an auto trans car drone and manual trans car not ?

Anyone have any feed back on Inline Tube systems? In general they aren't my favorite people, but it looks like they have what I need.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker455 View Post
I used Torque Tech but I think they are gone now & Pipes was a good runner up.
I have a local custom mandrel bent exhaust shop friend & I find his stock is better quality than the pre-bent systems you find online and ofcourse fitment dioes not compare
Could you share which local shop/location? I'm gonna need a custom system for a '74 Formula soon.... ;-)

Old 12-10-2019, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the Inline Tube system on my 68. It's factory original with the different size mufflers and flattened head pipes under the transmission crossmember. I bought the HO/RA version since I'm using RA manifolds. Installation went well but nothing is tighten down yet.

If you wish to save a little money order the 68 manual trans system. Larger tail pipes without the J pipe.
I ordered through Amazon which saved me quite a bit on shipping. I don't see it on Amazon now. Price was about $700 for galvanized.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r8PiEuAmSiqXVN3xv8KlQA.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	526404   Click image for larger version

Name:	PSGW4jFCRpOt4qxEQDWmbQ.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	526405   Click image for larger version

Name:	dca3g%vzRj6nvmN4+bScoA.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	526406   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZWQuwnxYSzCKCvR5hyVw6Q.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	526407  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing I noticed when I put the body back down was the tail pipes were too high and hit the bumper. You need to adjust the rear tail pipe bracket to an angle. Shown is my original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1dsSYe+3QgKufdOdtRT+Qw.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	526408  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Last edited by OG68; 12-10-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think that Pontiac thought the "drone" louder exhaust would more acceptable to the target stick shift buyer vs the automatic buyer. That would be my best guess...

Old 12-11-2019, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OG68 ... those head pipe bends look good ... that's the way it came from InLine?

I think they have a necked down head pipe that would work on my standard logs.

Do you know if a 2 1/4" head pipe will bolt to my stock logs? I'll have to go down and check but I'm pretty sure on my test stand setup I have 2 1/4" head pipes and they bolted up fine.

Excellent ... I'm zeroing in on what will work.

Cardo ... that makes sense ... appealing to the muscle luxury crowd.

Last edited by dataway; 12-11-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a Flowmaster 2.5" A body H pipe kit about 18 years ago. Still have the pipes, which fit well, but ditched the mufflers and went with some mellow 17749 Super Turbo mufflers. It all still looks new. They still offer it, but personally, I'd look at Pypes today.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
The Following User Says Thank You to David Jones For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Data
Thats how they came out of the box. Have not tried to match anything up yet and the car is still at the painters.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 12-11-2019, 11:26 AM

I have factory sized InLine system on my 70 Judge. Had a shop do install but it it all fit great out of the box, no tweaks needed. Wont apply here but the splitters they provide are way off from originals so I did not use them. I also opted for the more aggressive sounding muffler they offer - which I think sound great. Not too loud and no drone.

Dan

The Following User Says Thank You to Bucksnort For This Useful Post: