Old 01-31-2000, 10:56 PM

Did the 70 GTO ( and likely other years) have two letter ink stamps on the firewall near the heater box. I have been told these are body inspector stamps. Does anyone know for sure? Do you know what the different letters mean? Thanks, Gerry Charlesworth

Old 01-31-2000, 10:56 PM

Did the 70 GTO ( and likely other years) have two letter ink stamps on the firewall near the heater box. I have been told these are body inspector stamps. Does anyone know for sure? Do you know what the different letters mean? Thanks, Gerry Charlesworth

Old 02-03-2000, 07:28 PM

Gerry,

Of all the 70-72 GTOs and LeMans' I've seen apart, I've never come across any with two letter ink stamps by the heater box. I ran this by Scott Tiemann, and he says he's yet to see the stamps you refer too. That's not to say that they don't exist. We do have photos of an all-original '70 Judge that did have the letter "D" stamped on top of the cowl about six inches from the body tag, towards the center of the car. It appears to be yellow, and about an inch or more high. Unfortunately, I failed to find out what plant this particular Judge was assembled at. There were no other markings on this car. None of my A-bodies had markings either.

Most F-bodies seem to have the inspector stamps for body, paint, trim, etc.

Old 02-08-2000, 11:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My unrestored '71 GTO convertible has the code '19-B' marked in yellow grease pen on the firewall near the AC box. The markings are about 2 inches tall and seem to correspond with the color combination of my car - Starlight Black (19) with a black (B) convertible top. This car was built at the Pontiac plant in late December of 1970.

1971 Trans Am 455HO M22; Cameo White / Blue
1971 GTO Convertible 455 M40; Starlight Black / Black