Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-30-2021, 08:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I do have a question on what vacuum canister to use. I get a light ping when I slightly get on the gas , i.e. going up a small hill. I think my vacuum advance is adding timing then.

I am hooked to a ported source, I am making 14-15” of vacuum at idle. I have 3 VC’s in which I have modified all 3 by welding the slot to limit total advance to about 10-12 degrees.

I have a Crane adjustable one set to start at 5” ends at 10”, but I can adjust this one i.e. start at 8” end at 12”. (Not crazy about the non stock look. )

The other 2 VC’s both start at 7” and one ends at 11” and the other ends at 13”.

Any suggestions or rule of thumb when deciding which to use, especially to help the light throttle ping? Thanks

Old 10-03-2021, 11:19 AM
Senior Chief

been thru the same "troubleshooting issue as well....you hit it...tires and r's jump....have prefered to do nice long hill in 2nd steady putting in gas pedal. Since you are using a vacuum advance. I would disconnect it and get the TOTAL dialed in first....then add vacuum can and keep dialing IT down till noise is gone. Then as a TA owner with open shaker...rule of thumb was ...once "perfect.... turn the dizzy down 2-3* so you can drive in the rain with no issues.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, finding a long hill would be nice, good suggestion. Total vacuum advance is 12 degrees. Probably going to have to play around with the cut in points for the vacuum canister.