Old 01-30-2001, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to takid455

hi all. i recenly purchased a 72 ho trans am and am wondering for saftey purposes if i can install late 70's ta disk brakes on it with out any major modifications?

Build: http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...1978+g+machine
1999 30th Trans Am 6 spd, T top
Old 01-30-2001, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to takid455

hi all. i recenly purchased a 72 ho trans am and am wondering for saftey purposes if i can install late 70's ta disk brakes on it with out any major modifications?

Build: http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...1978+g+machine
1999 30th Trans Am 6 spd, T top
Old 01-30-2001, 07:00 PM

the rear end is a bolt-in. i don't know if just the brackets will swap over. you'll need the master cyl from the disc car, the proportioning valve, and the parking brake cables. the cables are how the rear calipers adjust [when p-brake is applied]so be sure to change them also. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-31-2001, 09:35 AM

the rear end is a bolt in. i don't know if just the caliper brackets will interchange to your diff or not. you'll need the master cyl,proportioning valve,and the e-brake cables.[ the calpers adj out when the e-brake is set]. mike

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-03-2001, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The '79-81 T/A rear caliper brackets are a bolt on for most GM C-clip type rearends. The other problems, I can forsee is the '71-74 Firebird drum axle is some how different than the '75-81 drum axle (they appear the same length) & the '79-81 disc brake axle has a deeper locating flange which guides the rotor on.

Other problem is you really need the '79-80 4wheel discbrake booster & master cylinder. Many early T/A guys don't like the appearance of the short squatty 4 wheel disc booster on their restored cars.

Last problem... if you have the polycast honeycombs, the inner part of the wheels will not clear the rear calipers. We have solved this in the past by carefully radius grinding the calipers, then performance coating the calipers before rebuilding them. I believe the stock KR Rally II's will clear with the aid of 1/4" thick wheel spacers.

I am interested in this swap on my own '72 T/A. Will mockup an early (71-74) Firebird rearend with disc parts during my next diff build session & check out the axle/rotor fit issue.

Old 02-03-2001, 11:59 AM

oph, can you change the master cyl and actuating pin and not have to swap the whole booster ? or does the drum booster give "too much" assist? mike

- Winston Churchill