Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1977 egr intake

I cant find my jim hand book to save my life so is the 77 egr iron intake as good as the 67 to 70 stuff?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I seem to remember an article in HPP a year or two back about the 76-79 intakes. I think it said they were pretty decent.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is the article...

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...old/index.html

Old 03-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

The jury is kinda out, in some respects, concerning this question.
The supply of 68-72 irons has been,and is still pretty plentiful, and the 68-72 manifold works so very well, in it's element.
Seemingly few have used the EGR intakes in a performance enhanced engine. It's heavier, uglier, and it's a smogger piece...the old wive's tale would be that it COULDN'T work as well...LOL

I've seen the article in Kenth's reply, it's good!

I have an iron 78 intake on a 350 w/ massaged heads, w/ a stock cam. it runs good, but it's a 350...
I removed the front to rear seperaters and left the plenum divider intact on this intake.

I wonder if some of the engineering used to design the 6X heads was applied to these EGR smogger intakes.

The two EGR valve holes in the intake are round and can be easily plugged with small expansion plugs (freeze plugs).

I can find my Jim Hand book, but can't find Cliff's carb book.....been lost for about a year.......LOL

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 03-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Senior Chief

i did find my hand max book I also read the ho blue print book they said nothing about the smog irn set up I read cliffs book it scared me even more to use a q jet all them rods and parts woa. you have to admite looks crazy compaired to the afb