Old 11-02-2018, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Original 69 GTO Resonators

Someone asked me quite a while back to post pictures of the original Resonators off my fathers GTO that he purchased new. I knew they were buried in a box somewhere and didn't know when I'd get around to it.

Well today I was moving boxes, forgot all about it, and accidently stumbled onto them. So here's a quick shot. Dad pulled these off the car within a couple months of purchase. Been in a box ever since.

Last edited by Formulajones; 01-28-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:26 PM
Senior Chief

We should put them in evaporust, what do you think.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They'd come out looking brandy new

Old 11-03-2018, 12:21 AM
Senior Chief

Nice dig! I put resonators on my 69 auto trans GTO but they don’t have that offset inlet and outlet like these originals. Can’t imagine there are many of these left.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:41 AM

Thanks for sharing those pictures. I always liked the look of those resonators on a 69 GTO as my dad bought a new 69. I was 12 at the time and was very impressed with the car! Only automatic cars got those. Did you dad put anything in place of the resonators? Jimmy

Old 11-03-2018, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting you pointed that out. Yes these are offset inlet/outlets.

They aren't all that big, and there is a fair amount of room under the quarter panel where these go, so I would imagine a non-offset design would fit fine. However not technically correct, I wonder what Gardner is using on their reproduction systems??

If they are using a straight design resonator, then their tailpipe routing is likely a bit different to compensate if they want to make the end of the resonator come out in the right place, which would place these original resonators in the wrong position? Just thinking out loud.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:00 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRSW6 View Post
Thanks for sharing those pictures. I always liked the look of those resonators on a 69 GTO as my dad bought a new 69. I was 12 at the time and was very impressed with the car! Only automatic cars got those. Did you dad put anything in place of the resonators? Jimmy
No I just wanted it a little louder at the time lol. Still have the original hub caps on the car.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRSW6 View Post
Nope, just removed them back then. It wasn't long after that, headers went on the car and the entire exhaust was removed for header mufflers, and that's pretty much how he daily drove the car for the next 30 years. Wasn't until the late 90's when the car got it's first full length exhaust system, I believe a 2 1/2" flowmaster kit at that time.

Today the entire drivetrain is revamped with a 571 Pontiac, another heavily built 400 turbo, and a 12 bolt rear, and a 3 1/2" exhaust. He did however mimic the tail pipe appearance at the bumper just like the original resonators.

All original parts to the car are boxed up and stored away.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, a soak in Evapo-Rust and then send them out to be re-zinc'ed and they'd be brand new. Preserve those babies as a pattern should anyone ever need to manufacture correct examples.