WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:12 PM

Has anyone seen a concept sketch/photo/anything for the '07 GTO yet? They are only about 18 months away, and if they are going to be built in the USA on the Zeta platform, they are going to have start gearing up for them soon, no?

There are also rumors floating around that the Camaro will return on the same platform, as well as a Buick called Velite and the Pontiac G8. The G8 should fulfill the needs for those who crave a 4 door GTO (I guess there must be one or two of them out there somewhere)...

Here's a link with some info on this subject:
http://www.cheersandgears.com/platforms/zeta.php
Old 01-24-2005, 04:12 PM

Has anyone seen a concept sketch/photo/anything for the '07 GTO yet? They are only about 18 months away, and if they are going to be built in the USA on the Zeta platform, they are going to have start gearing up for them soon, no?

There are also rumors floating around that the Camaro will return on the same platform, as well as a Buick called Velite and the Pontiac G8. The G8 should fulfill the needs for those who crave a 4 door GTO (I guess there must be one or two of them out there somewhere)...

Here's a link with some info on this subject:
http://www.cheersandgears.com/platforms/zeta.php
Old 01-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, about half the 2dr output.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charlzm:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There will be no 2007 GTO due to it's high price, low sales and lack of visual appeal. Look for the G8 to replace the GTO...( Didn't I say that in a previous post a few months ago ?...I got criticized a year ago as well for saying that the 2005 would offer a higher spoiler, grill inserts and air box to appeal to the ricer crowd. Hmmm, guess I was wrong on that one too.)
Old 01-24-2005, 07:21 PM

All the online sources I have seen indicate that there will be an '07 Goat, although I have seen conflicting reports about whether it will be built in the USA (in which case the platform-sharing rumors with Buick and Chevy make sense) or it will still be Aussie-sourced.

Where do you get the info that there will be no '07, RedGoat?

And by the way, you were wrong: on all three counts. The '05 spoiler is the same as the '04, the grill inserts are only available on the autocross package and there is no OEM airbox that is functional - the hood scoops (added to appeal to the old fart crowd, not the ricer crowd) simply open up into the engine compartment.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Senior Chief

There will indeed be a Zeta platform GTO, it's exact debut date is not set. Some rumors have it standard with a 5.3 aluminum LS2 with 400 h.p. and optional with a 427c.i./425-450 h.p. LS2, although this could actually be a 6 liter instead. The same source says a Judge will appear 6-9 months later with a version of the Z06 engine. All versions are said to be 250-300lbs. lighter than the current car. At that time, the 4 dr. Grand Prix may become known as LeMans. The Grand Prix nomenclature may only remain on a 2 dr. sport luxury rear drive coupe with big power numbers!
Old 01-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

that is IF (this is a big if here) the 07 looks like the sketch.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charlzm:

And by the way, you _were_ wrong: on all three counts. The '05 spoiler is the same as the '04, the grill inserts are only available on the autocross package and there is no OEM airbox that is functional - the hood scoops QUOTE]

The key word is offered there brianiac as I indicated, not standard as you assumed. And the spoiler on the autocross is higher and I never said anything about scoops. Read my post again...slowly.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charlzm:
and there is no OEM airbox that is functional

&gt;&gt;&gt; Since when do ricers care if anything is functional?

[QUOTE]- the hood scoops (added to appeal to the old fart crowd, not the ricer crowd) simply open up into the engine compartment. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

&gt;&gt;&gt; The hood scoops are basically non functional..no ram air intake via the scoops at all. The actual air intake is somewhere below the left headlight...w/ or w/o ricer airbox.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bg_image20.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	18234  
Old 01-25-2005, 08:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charlzm:

And by the way, you _were_ wrong: on all three counts. The '05 spoiler is the same as the '04, QUOTE]

&gt;&gt;&gt; Looks like a higher optional spoiler to me....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bg_image19.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	20388  
Old 01-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually the hood is functional, it just doesn't let air into the engine, it is more for letting hot air out while sitting.

It is even more functional than the 64 hood.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:13 AM

Goat:

Okay, I concede that the the optional wing and optional grille inserts are as you say. But there is still no "ram air" airbox. Oh, well, two out of three...
Old 01-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Goat:

Okay, I concede that the the optional wing and optional grille inserts are as you say. But there is still no "ram air" airbox. Oh, well, two out of three... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

again read my post...I never said anything about a "ram air" air box...only that an air box was being offered as an option. clearly the autocross package offers this obviously for appearances only.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	290
ID:	16235  
Old 01-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is no "Airbox" option.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr_GTO:
Actually the hood is functional, it just doesn't let air into the engine, it is more for letting hot air out while sitting.

It is even more functional than the 64 hood. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So are you saying the 64 had hood scoops? Given the highly visible chrome inserts intentionally blocking any air intake or exit I think they would probably be better classified as a hood treatment rather than scoops. The only real scoops were offered as an OTC Ram Air option beginning in '65 / 389.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	64_00002_7.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	18466  
Old 01-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr_GTO:
There is no "Airbox" option. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like a psuedo ricer airbox accessory to me...Oh I mean "front facia extension"...either way I said that would be offered in 05 in an attempt to appeal to the ricer/tuner crowd. Since they don't have any money to buy one anyways and the geniuses at Beavis and LutzHead alienated the Pontaic loyal that do is why I feel there will not be a GTO 2007.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	276
ID:	20609  
Old 01-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So the 64 didn't have scoops and neither did the 04. K, just to make that clear.

Again, what looks like a ricer airbox accesory?

What are you talking about?
Old 01-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So the 64 didn't have scoops and neither did the 04. K, just to make that clear.

&gt;&gt;&gt; Noted. I didn't really think you meant 64

Again, what looks like a ricer airbox accesory?

What are you talking about? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The extended front facia accessory offered on the autocross...looks like a ricer "airbox".
Old 01-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So what? Who cares. It gives it a different look if you want to stand out.

The grills should be standard fare for the GTO though. Here are pics of the hood.

http://www.ls1gto.com/05GTO/

Old 01-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So what? Who cares. It gives it a different look if you want to stand out. The grills should be standard fare for the GTO though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To each his own I guess. "Standard fare" would seal the 2007 GTOs fate though. As a GTO it would do little to "stand out": 92 riced Prelude:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0502ht_prelude_01_z.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	22729