Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-13-2005, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Item: SGF70
Description: 70-81 2.5" Crossflow w/X $599

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 07-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Robert,I'm not sure which web browser or firewall/pop-up blockers your using,but I know on some sites I have to tell my Nortons IS to allow pop-ups/ads to be allowed for that site to be able to view them.

The Norton IS for some reason thinks those pages are pop-ups or ads instead of viable content.

Just thought I'd mention that in case you really need to see that site.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:35 PM
Suspended

Thanks for the tip, ScreamingChief...Can you recommend a muffler for me??? I want to keep the crossflow arrangement and I want good flow numbers, but I want to get a nice sound without interior resonance.

Any ideas???...Robert

Old 07-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the pypes system is a mighty nice piece.

Probably would be my recommendation.

I dont have much of an opinion as to which muffler choices has the better sound/perfomance as I have'nt had a chance to actually hear any of these systems yet.

I myself had to compromise somewhat and went with the flowmaster system due to slightly lower cost and they were available when I actually had the money to buy.

Got a real good deal on it by checking around on prices and found it at one unnamed place for about $70.00 less than everybody else had it.

They changed that shortly after I bought mine,must have tipped them off or something...

Not a huge deal to me though as I am not worried about squeezing every single drop of power out of the car and I can live with a relatively loud exhaust note.

Like I said either system is superior to the OE 2 1/4" compression bent stuff in my view.

There are some good threads about the pypes crossflow system in the exhaust forum,I'd check them out if I were you.

Much more informed opinions on this than mine.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the flowmaster muffler, but damaged the tailpipes and replaced them with dynomax tails (same basic thing, just square on the end instead of round, could be cut off and have splitters put on). It sounds nice, not overly loud and doesn't have that metallic sound that most flowmaster systems have (which I hate). I have no sound deadening or insulation in the car, just carpet, and it's not loud on the highway. I can hear the faint whine of my rear differential and road noise over the exhaust while cruising. I'm unsure how it would compare to the pypes muffler, never heard or seen that system...

Old 07-13-2005, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

bobzdar,I was just refering to what others here have said about the flowmaster's sound levels.

Have'nt got mine all together running just yet,ran out of money and I am changing plans on an item or two on the car,so it will be just a little longer till I get to find out for myself how I like it.

For me I'm sure I'd tend to be on your wavelength on this,I had heard one on a car but it was a LONG time ago,right after they introduced the system.

And that was on a pretty much stock SBC in a camaro so it was'nt a good vehicle to use as a reference for mine.

I think I'll like it just fine,gotta be better than anything most of the exhaust shops around here would conjure up,and cheaper too(the decent shops around here are pricey).

By the way what are you running from the rest of the system upstream from the muffler?

And what kind of engine?

Thanks for the info here.

Old 07-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

8:1 400, 744 cam (224/236@.050", 115.5 lsa), 1 3/4" flowtech 4 tubes, 2.5" from them straight to the muffler (no X or H pipe). I was contemplating an X pipe, but for the cost I don't feel it'd be worth the small performance gain at this point. I'm planning a much more agressive engine build in the next year or two (raIV headed 400, if the Butler repros ever surface or I can find a set unported) and will probably go 1 7/8" 4 tubes to 3" in 2.5" out X pipe or possibly 3" in/out X to 2.5" at the muffler, as past that point the exhaust gasses should be cooled enough to not need the larger pipe...

The only reason I'm currently running the flowmaster muffler is that it came with the car, but to be honest the sound is good (not too loud and not metallic) and with it placed as far back in the system as it is, it shouldn't hinder performance even if it flows slightly less than other cross-flows on the market (though I haven't seen any indication that it does)...

This car is not going to see much strip duty, it will be a summer driver and will see most of the north-east road courses within reasonable driving distance of me (limerock, watkins glen, pocono and possibly summit point).

Just wanted to add to Robert-you can probably run your existing tailpipes with no performance loss (and therefore not worry about mating the splitters to new tailpipes) as by the time the exhaust gas gets out of the muffler, it'll be cool enough to where the 2 1/4" tailpipes won't affect performance at all...May also save you some money vs. a full system if you piece it together with a decent x-pipe and use your existing tails...

Old 07-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW....I currently run the crossflow Flowmaster muffler in the SD. Just the muffler and not the kit.
The muffler is a typical dual side inlet/outlet configuration, as opposed to the one pictured in a previous post.
It does NOT exhibit any interior resonance and has a nice sound. However, I did buy the Pypes crossflow kit because of the "straight-thru" design.
I have yet to install it.

Old 07-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the one pictured, not sure on the difference...

edit: perhaps it's the dual chamber version?

Old 07-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Herndon:
I can't pull up the catalog on the Pypes Link. Can someone give me a price quoate on that X-Flow System in 2.5" diameter???...Robert </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Try the direct link in the exhaust tech forum.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 07-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

go into "GOOGLE" on the internet and then enter WWW.PYPESEXHAUST.COM. I recently installed their 2 1/2 inch "X" system with the Xchange side outlet dumps and I am quite pleased(67 GTO). Tim.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Suspended

How good are the Ram Air Restoration Manifolds???...Robert

Old 07-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Suspended

Larry: What gasket did you recommend for the 28150 header???...Robert

Old 07-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fel-Pro #1424....
Check the number with Jegs or Summit as there are two gaskets: one with open center-port and one with split center ports.
You would need the ones with split center.

Old 07-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Suspended

Thanks Larry...You are a lifesaver...Robert