Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 02:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah sounds like I read that somewhere before. I think b-man is right.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up Build it and They Will come!

I wish someone would take over and build a high quality,ceramic coated,round port, Tri-Y header. I am in the hunt for such an item for a automatic 1980TA.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

According to Ron back at the beginning of this whole deal, his headers are a redesign of the HO headers and not a copy. I guess that would kind of be like Larry's redesign of a shaker assembly, not a copy. I don't think any patents are being violated and the fact that HO racing doesn't make them anymore should suggest that Ken doesn't have a dog in the fight. Ron isn't competing with anyone else's tri-y headers for a Pontiac. Also, I don't think they were ever offered for a GTO, but I may be wrong.

I just wish he would make the headers he owes everybody and be done with it. At that point, if he wanted to sell the design or give it to someone else, that would be great. Or if Ken would be willing to fill the rest of the orders Ron had in return for the R&D and materials that Ron has done and purchased already, that would be great too. How bout it Ken

Old 01-07-2007, 02:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I don't think Ken was looking to put "his dog in the fight", rather just asking if the market would support his headers going back into production.

I was looking at a set last year, but couldn't take the chance, or the long wait. I honestly thing many would purchase a set if they could be delivered in a realistic time frame.

I've been talking with Lynn about a larger set of Tri Y's and would buy a set today if available.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:32 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbanger
Also, I don't think they were ever offered for a GTO, but I may be wrong.
The round-port versions of the H-O Racing Tri-Ys fit the '64-'72 A-body cars as well as the 2nd-gen 'birds. Both of my sets are installed in '64 A-bodies.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

WHO did manufacture those H-O TRI-Ys??? Valley Tube Co., a job shop that made half of the small header COs headers here in SoCal. That Co. no longer exists. When Ron first decided to do this , he called and asked me what my plans were regarding the headers. I told him I had no interest in making them again and to go for it. That simple-no concerns about royalties, copyrights or anything else.My original D ports were prototyped by "Stan's Mufflers" and desiged to fit 2nd gen Firebirds. They would NOT fit GTOs. The round ports were prototyped by Jerry Jardine.I brought my GTO and 74 SD to Jerry's shop (Jerry was doing custom headers @ this time-not production factory built headers) in Santa Ana, with my requirements of ground clearence,filter clearence,ease of installation, AND 1-7/8" tubes. After a couple of trys,Jerry informed me that 1-7/8" tubes could be done on a hand built basis , but not on a "production" basis. Since I didn't want to sell $800.00 headers in a $150 header world (1988-90) I compromised on building them to 1-3/4". I think Ron may have been bitten by this limitation.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks B-man, I didn't know that.

I am all for Ken making the headers for everybody. There obviously was a big demand for them. At least 15 of us send 500-700 dollars to him on good faith hoping to get them. Bad thing is, we already paid once, I'm not sure how many are willing to pay again. I already have another set coming from MadDog. I know several others have already purchased Doug's and others. I personally just want my money back at this point but if a set of Tri-ys ever shows up, I will be happy to sell them for what I have in them.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good info Ken,

Ron was making 1-3/4 tubes so why did he have so much trouble. And I always wondered why are round port and d-port so much of a different animal? It seems like if your 1-3/4 round ports fit GTOs and 2nd gens then it would have been easy to build the same headers starting with d-port flanges and there you go. Round port or d-port headers that fit either GTOs or 2nd gen birds. What are we all missing?

Old 01-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

GB-- Back when we did the D ports, there was very little interest in GTO headers since you could by them anywhere for $79.00 and GTOs could be had for $500.00!! So we shortsightedly made them for F bodies. The fit problem for that header on the GTO is that the GTO crossmember is about 1" further rearward in relation to the engine than the F bodie. If I had to do it again, --No --goback in time--I would make it fit both cars. Today, I wouldn't bother , since like the 70s there are many brands of D-port headers to chose from for both cars--starting @ $100 or so. It is difficult to justify new prototypes and tooling and fixtures and minimum order quantities for a header that has to sell for maybe $400-$500 against a percieved value of $100.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it would be interesting to take a poll as to how many people have ALREADY sent Ron money, but don't have a product. I bet it's more than 15, but maybe I'm wrong......

Also, somewhere in this thread or a different one, Chris Casperson offered to look into the possibility of taking over the project from Ron, based on the amount of interest from people willing to pony up for a set........

Hello Chris????? What did you decide?

Old 01-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to SGTGTO

I'll make the poll.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is what Chris decided. This was his last post about the subject. I guess he thought it wasn't worth it.

Origionally posted by Ccass:

Well now I see why Ron has disappeared! That's about 5 or 6 different header applications and 1 or 2 of you for each.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:34 PM

I just spoke with Ron. His loan didn't come through so he wasn't able to hire anyone to help with the headers, but things are slowing down at his work so he's able to spend some time working on them. He says he's not sure he'll be able to sell any more after this, but he will finish the orders he already has.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Surprise, surprise! After 3 1/2 years of no contact Ron (tri-y header maker) called me the other night. My headers will be done today, and he'll deliver them tomorrow! Says he has a new shop going, and all unfilled orders will be completed. And he says he'll be able to fill new orders in a timely fashion. I'll get the whole scoop when he drops them off. Here's some pics of the completed driver's side header
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A body 64-67 drivers header 2.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	212822   Click image for larger version

Name:	A body 64-67 drivers header 3.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	212823  

Old 07-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just got an email from him that was an advertisement for something sent to multiple people from his contact list. I tried to reply and it came back undeliverable. I will let you know when I have my headers in my hands. Yeah right. Jim

Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 PM

He did say that his email address had been hijacked recently.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:36 PM

That's weird. I was just thinking about this last night again. Not necessarily involving Ron, but building Tri-Y's in general. There are exhaust suppliers that prefab a lot of the pieces now, including the 2 into 1's and so on. I wonder how many of us have gone another direction already. I bought a set of Dougs since then. I also wonder how many of us have moved and changed our contact info since. Also, some of us sent Ron ball and socket kits (myself included) for the collectors. I hope he kept details like this organized.

Luckily, I've been busy with another project, and can still hold out. But, I'm not counting any chickens yet.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gotta agree... weird. My wife and I were just discussing this whole fiasco this past week. I took my Tribal Tubes out and gave them a protecting coating, and was speaking to her about what would be involved in producing more.
I say if Ron does come through, AWESOME! But, some public contact is a must.
Good luck to Ron and all involved, I truely hope it works out!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This could be some good news alright. I've thought about Ron a time or two lately myself, I guess I never completely gave up hope. I'll be watching for an email from him now.

I did end up with a set of Hookers for my stroker build, but that engine is out of the car for now, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to use Tri-Y's when it goes back in, lol.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HUH i got a nice set from him 3 1/2 years ago for my frinds formula, by the time i whanted a pair for myself he was out!!!!.
howmutch do they flow compeard to normal headers anyway???. i remember they didt do to wel at high rpm!!. ground clearense was awesome to say the least ..

Closed Thread