Old 02-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
The Pertronix system 1 is only $ 89.95 & takes about 1/2 hour to put in. t's so much better then the old points & cond. parts & works a lot better. No more adjusting & tinkering with. Set it up & forget it for a long time. I've had mine in for pver 30 years with no problem at all.
Where is that available for $89?

Old 02-04-2014, 12:05 AM
Suspended

The pertronix 1 you can get through Summit for that price the last time I checked. The 2 & 3 are more expensive but the original # 1 is that price the last time I checked.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, I see Amazon has it for $76.00 and looking @ Summits site they will beat any price so it looks like I can get a Pertronics 1 Igniter and the flame thrower coil for about $106.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That sounds like a decent deal. Do you all have links to where you found these deals? (when I type in pertronics 1, I get complete units)- Is this correct? (I also see the "ignitor kit") Maybe that's it?

I was looking at the coils and "stock appearing" can be had for $30-$45. (PY and Ames)

I was reading this: http://www.breakerless.com/igntionfacts.htm
and it looks like that's all I really need.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was looking at this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N2U5E6/...I1FR7ZIO1A9I87

and this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00199F2WW/...I34KZ0ZYX5PKZH

And if Summit will match or beat that deal then you can't go wrong.

For others mileage may vary.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Arbys!

Now for some questions:

1. Does this kit still require the use of the weights and springs?

2. Can anyone tell me if the exposed areas of the distributor were painted the engine color on the original blocks?

3. Is there anything special I need to know about buying a FUEL PUMP for this car or can I just get an off the shelf unit? (Anything that is recommended over another?)

4. Same question as above but this one references the OIL PUMP?

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

Last edited by boostmaster; 02-05-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope that someone else chimes in here but I THINK the weights and springs stay in and the color was black.

Others?

Old 02-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a the Pertronics setup in my 28 Ford speedster and IIRC the way I see it the igniter breaks the light beam to create the spark and sets on the plate which is advanced by the centrifical and in the case of modern car, the vacuum advance.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So, I looked at the Pertronixs kit and I still have a few questions. The install looks easy enough and looks to be a better more reliable option than the standard points. Definitely something I can tackle.

My understanding is that I would need the HEI kit, a new cap, a new rotor, and and possible some new advance weights and springs.

New cap and rotor can be had for under $20, another $20 for weights and springs, HEI kit for $76... So, I'm around $120 with shipping/ tax.

My questions are:

1. What are the differences between the $45 HEI distributor vs the $200 ones?

2. Am I in the right ballpark to spend $120 to upgrade the used distributor or should I just buy a new one?

Want to make sure I do this right.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think that there is a little confusion here and maybe it's me. HEI is a brand name as described here.

High energy ignition, also known as H.E.I., is an electronic ignition system designed by Delco-Remy Division of General Motors and introduced by General Motors around May 1974 on most GM engines. It was used on all engines in 1975 through the mid-1980s. There were many design variations over the years and provisions for computer controls were added for some applications starting in the late 70's. A predecessor system was optional on Pontiacs as "code 704 UPC K65 unitized ignition system" for the 1972-73 model year.
HEI is characterised by the incorporation of the ignition coil built into the distributor cap for most applications. The system consists of a control module and a magnetic pickup mounted in the distributor. This eliminates ignition points and the coil wire. The control module basically performs the same function as the breaker points in a points and condenser system.

Before you were talking about Pertronics.

Maybe it's like Kleenex.

Last edited by arbys; 02-05-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Flamethrower

I installed a Petronix Flamethrower piece of cake make sure you get the small sub harness that plugs into the cap you will need to run 1 switched 12v source to the distributor the other side of the plug is for the tach that's it I upgraded my wires at the same time this thing will knock your socks off as far as spark goes very reliable and fairly inexpensive got mine at a show all for around 200.00 .Can send you a pic if you need one.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Arbys: let me see if I can clarify. My understanding is that there are 2 types of distributors- the original "points" style, and the "electronic" style. Both require the basic "core" of the distributor assembly (shaft, weights, springs, rotor and cap).

My confusion is this:

Part 1-
I can go on ebay and buy a complete "off brand" electronic style distributor as cheap as $45. I can also find them from $150 to $450....

Question 1: What is the difference in these units besides name brands?

Part 2-
If I use the current distributor I have, I understand that I should swap the weights and springs, I need to buy a cap and rotor and adding the Pertronix kit puts my outlay at $120.

Question 2: What is the benefit of upgrading the current unit at $120 vs. buying the cheap ebay unit at $45?

I don't want to cheap out but I want to know why I'm spending and if it is necessary to the performance and reliability of the vehicle.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know what the eBay unit is. If your module fails will you be able to replace it next year? Pertronics has been around for a long time and is trusted by many. Are you getting all the parts that you need with the eBay unit? I wouldn't take a chance on the eBay unit but the decision is yours.

Do you have a link for the eBay unit?

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't usually use ebay but if the parts are significantly cheaper I might be inclined to use one... If I can buy a distributor for $45, I can buy almost 3 of them for the price of upgrading my stock one. That being said, if the stock one is destined to last significantly longer with no issues I'd probably upgrade.

Here's some links:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEI-Distribu...5efbc9&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEI-IGNITION...0a6d0c&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-8528-Dis...4eb613&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mallory-7758...0beda7&vxp=mtr

Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The distributor from Chandler Motor Sports sounds too good to be true.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know. That's what has me suspicious.
I just don't see much in the way of specs...

I mean if the more expensive stuff had specs that translated into better reliability, power, economy, something it would not be such a dilemma. It's not like these things are that "complicated" - computer wise, There's not that many moving parts. It's all sort of the same stuff..

Old 02-05-2014, 09:56 PM
Suspended

First the 2 HEI dist.'s are just that a stock HEI dist . The same thing you would have gotten when you bought a new Pontiac in 1975. The other 2 are Brand name complete elec. ign. dist's. The stock HEI dist are very large & can't be used with many aftermarket intakes, because they are so big. If you go with the Pertronics unit you will use your stock points dist. You don't have to buy new weights & springs unless you want to. It will work with your stock parts. You will buy new springs & weights if your going to tune it in much better. Buying a new cap & rotor is always a good idea when your tuning up a car at any time. You can wire the Pert. unit into your stock wires coming from your stock harness as it has the resistance wire built into the harness. You can also just use a switched 12 volt wire in your harness to give the full 12 volts , some say it's better to use the 12 volts , but , I have had mine wired into my stock coil wiring for 30 + years with no problem at all. Now as far as the coil I would use the Pert. flame thrower coil just so you have a new coil. For the best usage & reliability use the Pert. unit & coil for the $ 120.00 with your stock dist & it will look stock & work great.

The Following User Says Thank You to rexs73gto For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would give them a call tomorrow if I were you. Maybe it's a discontinued series because some their others are $400-500.

I posted this before I saw rex73gto's post.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No problem. Thanks guys.

I received the distributor from Andre. The weights and springs were on the unit. I do not know how to tell the condition. They look fine to me, But if new weights and springs will help, I'll go ahead and get them.

My engine builder is going to help me with the start up and break in so I just want to make sure I have everything I need to make sure we have a smooth run.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

At long last I have returned!!

It's been a few years since I have been able to work on the Pontiac and finally I think we're ready to ramp up the project again.

I'm hoping to be able to share our progress and continue to ask stupid questions as I go.

I have my guy coming by tomorrow to give me an estimate on the bodywork and paint.

Keeping my fingers crossed that we can finally get this project finished within the year!

Last edited by boostmaster; 06-04-2016 at 04:06 PM.