Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 07-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Okay those who have patiently waited......the latest pre-production pictures of the soon to be released Tri-Y headers for 2nd generation firebirds.
These headers have been painstakenly formed to gain unobstructed access to the engine starter and oil filter. They also provide excellent ground clearance over anything short of an exhaust manifold. Those of you who own a firebird with lowered suspension will appreciate that!
These will be available in D-port and O-port configurations with primary tube size of 1.75" with 2.5" dia. and 3" dia. collectors! Also, features a 3/8" thick mounting flange which virtually eliminates any warpage.
Thanks to "TUNNELPORT" Ron for his time, hard work and persiverance to see this product through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tri-y5.jpg
Views:	2806
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	7657  

Old 07-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Okay those who have patiently waited......the latest pre-production pictures of the soon to be released Tri-Y headers for 2nd generation firebirds.
These headers have been painstakenly formed to gain unobstructed access to the engine starter and oil filter. They also provide excellent ground clearance over anything short of an exhaust manifold. Those of you who own a firebird with lowered suspension will appreciate that!
These will be available in D-port and O-port configurations with primary tube size of 1.75" with 2.5" dia. and 3" dia. collectors! Also, features a 3/8" thick mounting flange which virtually eliminates any warpage.
Thanks to "TUNNELPORT" Ron for his time, hard work and persiverance to see this product through.

Old 07-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well said Larry. I'm signed up with Ron for a set. I'm pretty exited to get my mitts on a set when they are done. Looks like Ron is sweating the details. Nice job and thanks Ron!

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:11 PM

Hi Larry,

These look great. When will they be available and what neighborhood do you think they price will be in?

How is the bolt accessability on these. I know with most headers on Ponchos, getting at some of the bolts is a major pain.

What are they made of (material and gauge)? They look really nice in the picture, almost like stainless.

It would be really cool to be able to change my oil without having to drop the headers.

Good work as always.

Old 07-09-2004, 05:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

VERY nice, Larry!

Looks interesting enough that even I might try a set on my Formula.

As far as bolt access, from this one view it appears that the only PITA bolt will be the fourth one back on the passenger side.

Any idea for planned release date?

Whom would I contact for ordering info?

Any plans for dyno testing with comparisons to R.A.R.E. manifolds, other brands of headers, etc.?

PLEASE keep us informed!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 07-09-2004, 07:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a 69 428 in my 79 T/A. will these work with an older engine? Also interested in the price.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi guys,
From this angle it looks like a tight fit for the #6 bolt. I was told it's not as tight as it looks. I made sure that they were designed with these things in mind:
#1 The headers are made from 14 gauge steel rather than the thinner 16 gauge that the original H O's were. #2 They have 3/8 flanges for better gasket seal. #4 The starter & oil filter are easily accessible.#5 They install easily since not everyone has access to a hoist & must resort to jack stands. #6 Make #'s 5 & 6 header bolts easy to reach. #7 Clearance around A-arms & steering column to keep from having to put any major dents in tubes & not lock up steering like the 1st D-ports had done on 4-speed cars. #8 fit both auto & 4-speed cars. #9 Be offered in both the original 2 & 1/2"collector & a 3"collector, for those of you who think bigger is better & have expressed that in previous posts. #10 All while offering maximum ground clearance over any other header while providing outstanding performance.
Now I will have to say that I did fail in one spot & that's # 10. The 3" collector will be 3/4" below frame & the 2 & 1/2 collector will be around 1/4" to 1/2 below the frame. Sorry but with all the improvements listed that's the best outcome we could get. Witch is still a lot more clearance than any 4 tubed header clearance. Like I said before I only wanted to make available a well made, quality header that I would want to buy for my own car & this is it.
I'll try to get more pics soon to post. But now for the price, the original selling price was $389 a set, before the additional setup & redesigning cost & price of steel went up among other things. The selling price is as follows 2 & 1/2" collector = $425 set & $445 with 3" collector. For ether O or D-port. If you want them thermal coated its $185 extra.

Thanks Ron

Old 07-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I spoke to them to day & will be getting more pics on Mon. Also they said that they fit so nicely that you dont even have to lift the motor to get them in. Even though it would still be a good idea to lift it so not to scratch the headers.

Ron

Old 07-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Senior Chief

Will be very interesting to see someone dyno these against ram air manifolds and 4 tube headers just to see where they fall in line. That 1 bolt still looks like the same ol PITA, but its hard to tell from that one picture and angle though.

Old 07-10-2004, 09:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Briann,
I have other 6-7 more pics from other angles. Even some with them installed from the bottom that shows clearance around A-arms & starter. But I dont know how to post them. Thats why Larry posted these ones for me.

Ron

Old 07-10-2004, 10:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

76TA428,
Im 99% sure they would work with your setup. I beleave the only diff is the motor mounts on your setup.You could email me some pics of you motor mounts from the bottom view of your car & I'll see if theres any problem. Also if you bought them & they didnt fit because of the mounts being different then I'd gladly let you return them with a refund.

Old 07-11-2004, 02:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bottom_drivers_side__2.JPG
Views:	2515
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	21979  

Old 07-11-2004, 02:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bottm_drivers_side_1...jpg
Views:	2473
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	17643  

Old 07-11-2004, 02:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pass_bottom__1..JPG
Views:	2415
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	19836  

Old 07-11-2004, 02:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

pics..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	headers_on_side.jpg
Views:	2256
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	8783  

Old 07-11-2004, 02:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	headers.jpg
Views:	2217
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	10973  

Old 07-11-2004, 02:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

pics....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bottom_rear_drivers_side.JPG
Views:	2221
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	13216  

Old 07-11-2004, 08:58 AM
Boost Engineer

When you doing some for the Round Port 64 GTO
body style?

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Senior Chief

Good shots of the install. I have a Milodon oil pan that kicks out on both sides and im not sure if the starter is going to interfere with that side of pipes though. I have ram air manifolds now and the starter is 1/8" from the flange because i had to clock the mini starter that much to clear the pan kickout. I'll probably get a set of round ports just to check them out. Have a picture of a 4 speed install and z bar clearance?

Old 07-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tom,
I have GTOs in mind also but I'll have to see if these sell or brake me first. I will also have a few R/A V's made because I'll need a set for my Formula455. So I'll make a real short run of those with 1 & 7/8"primaries to 2 & 1/2" to 3"collector.

Briann,
I'm told I'll have pics on Mon of the Z-bar installed.