Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 07-31-2004, 08:49 PM

I had my new dual exhaust put on my car. problem is that it makes the whole car vibrate when accelarating. I heard that if the exhaust guys welded the hangers incorrectly to the body this can be the problem. Right now it has just 2.25 pipe with two cats and two exhaust dumps

the car is a 79 ta with 403/th350

Old 07-31-2004, 08:49 PM

I had my new dual exhaust put on my car. problem is that it makes the whole car vibrate when accelarating. I heard that if the exhaust guys welded the hangers incorrectly to the body this can be the problem. Right now it has just 2.25 pipe with two cats and two exhaust dumps

the car is a 79 ta with 403/th350

Old 08-01-2004, 05:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it vibrating because something is touching or vibrating because the resonation of exhaust dumps exiting under the passenger compartment?

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:15 AM

the dumps are closed and it vibrates. I know it will vibrate when they are open....i will look under the car and see.

Old 08-02-2004, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Narrow down exactly what you are hearing. Vibration or are the pipes actually coming in contact with something? Do you have full tailpipes?

Old 08-02-2004, 08:33 PM

I hear parts of the interior moving like the shifter bezel that is missing one screw. I also feel vibrations in the pedals and sometimes in the steering wheel/shifter lever. It is worst at about 40mph and 1000~1500rpm with a very light pedal. I do not have full tail pipes yet..I ran out of money(im only in college). They do exit out at a 60 degree angle right before the rear bumper.

thanks for all your help!

Old 08-03-2004, 06:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its possible that either situation is happening. Resonation from the mufflers can cause some BIG vibrations. The system bouncing against something can also cause vibrations, but it would feel different. What kind of mufflers did you use. I had Flowmasters (50 series) on mine at one time and at normal cruise RPM's around town the interior was not a nice place to be. Conversation was not possible. A change to Dynomax Super Turbos made the car a pleasure to drive. Nothing else was changed.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:16 AM

I have no mufflers, at the moment it is just cat converters behind the transmission followed by some flowtech exhaust dumps(I will be putting the dumps infront of everything soon.

The car isnt loud, it's enough to make people look twice but I can still keep a conversation or listen to my ancient 8-track. Its just the damn vibration is annoying the crap out of me.

Old 08-03-2004, 06:20 AM
Administrator

If you have no tailpipes and no mufflers, I would venture to say that is your main vibration problem.

Old 08-03-2004, 06:27 AM

I had some cheapo cherry bomb glasspacks and they only made it worse so thats why I took them off.

Any recommendations on what mufflers to buy? I like a very aggressive tone but lots of flow too!

Reason I have no tail pipes is that I wanted to get stainless steel tips instead of chrome ones and their $40 a piece being poor and in college is great

Old 08-03-2004, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Any high performance muffler without tailpipes is going to continue to give you vibration problems. The only sure way to resolve the vibration issues is to add tailpipes. Those cheap Cherry Bombs would probably sound pretty good with tails.