Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 08-18-2004, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, inquiring minds and all that crap.

Think it would look bitchin' with the stainless hardlines and E-brake junk.

Please don't even tell me the price, just if it's possible.

Old 08-18-2004, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, inquiring minds and all that crap.

Think it would look bitchin' with the stainless hardlines and E-brake junk.

Please don't even tell me the price, just if it's possible.

Old 08-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Administrator

This is our position on stainless.

Ceramic Coated vs. Stainless Steel exhaust systems...

The Debate is over!

upgrading from our ALUMINIZED exhaust systems to stainless steel systems.

When comparing Ceramic Coated and Stainless Steel, we like to divide our discussions into two distinct catagories:

PERFORMANCE: How it works.

AESTHETICS: How it looks.

Our extensive testing and research has led us to the following conclusions:

Performance: How it works.

Heat equals Efficiency ...it’s that simple...

The practice and theory of using ceramics to insulate and protect exhaust systems is usually overlooked. We all know that heat is genetated in the combustion chamber, but as emission gases escape from the exhasut ports trough the headers or manifolds, they begin to cool. AS GASES COOL, THEY SLOW DOWN. Stainless Steel does not hold heat at all. Using Pypes Ceramic Coatings on exhaust components helps to maintain the velocity of the gases by keeping the heat within the components. Gases move through the system faster, which reduces backpressure and increases through-put. This increase in efficiency translates into more horsepower that is generated by managing the exhaust system’s heat in a much better way than stainless systems can.

Since the Ceramic Coating keeps the heat where it does the most good, inside the component, the surface temperature of the components are reduced and the rest of your vehicle is cooler than those with stainless components.

Fit and Finish

Stainless is much harder to bend! it is a fact that there are more fit problems with stainless vs. cold rolled steel!

Stainless lasts a lifetime?

True, 304 Stainless Steel will never rust, but because most of our piping is Ceramic Coated both inside and out, your Pypes system will last the lifetime of your vehicle.

Aesthetics: How it looks.

Ceramic Coating looks better longer... no doubt about it!

polished Ceramic Coating resists discoloration and tarnishing... Stainless Steel does not. Over the shortest and longest periods of time, our polished coatings out-perform Stainless Steel in the "good-looks" department.

In the short run, within a week after installation, Stainless exhaust systems will begin to discolor and lose their luster. They will take on a dull, almost brownish tone and maintain that tone for the life of the system. Polished Ceramic coated systems WILL maintain their glow UP TO 1200 DEGREES for years to come.

Whether you install a Ceramic system on your daily driver, SHOW or RACE car, it will look better longer.

After reading this, you would expect to pay a substantial premium for our polished ceramic products. Rather, you will find that our ceramic upgrades cost no more than stainless Steel systems.

Old 08-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Chris.

Old 08-19-2004, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Matt, I take it you didn't like our sales pitch.

Old 08-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not at all Chris, just debating the merits of switching to R.A.R.E. manifolding and upping the dia. to 2.5-3.0"

Dealing with stock logs and don't want headers.

I had pretty much decided upon a Pypes system and just wanted to see what you had to say about SS.

I've still got the old system, but it's pretty cobbled up and looks like total crap. After all this work to improve the cosmetics, funky exhausts aren't gonna cut it.

Old 08-19-2004, 04:53 PM
Administrator

ok.

I'm not sure what you mean. 2.5" to 3" manifolds. ??

Old 08-19-2004, 06:51 PM
Senior Chief

If all the pipes are ceramic coated how would we be joining the various sections? Ceramic coatings are not very flexible and I would think that when you clamped the pipes together the ceramic coating would crack and break away from the pipes. It would also be hard to strike a weld on a ceramic coated pipe as well.

Old 08-19-2004, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris, 2.5" or 3.0"

I'm shooting for "sorta correct" on a street driven non-racecar.

Old 08-20-2004, 06:12 AM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cujo:
If all the pipes are ceramic coated how would we be joining the various sections? Ceramic coatings are not very flexible and I would think that when you clamped the pipes together the ceramic coating would crack and break away from the pipes. It would also be hard to strike a weld on a ceramic coated pipe as well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the ceramic coating creates an extremely strong bond to metal and will not crack even if the tubing is compressed. (It does scratch). We have used Stainless steel band clamps, stainless steel U clamps and even had success with JB Weld at some joints. We would only recommend JB Weld in joints that are already supported properly and where you would not need to ever disconnect that joint.

Agreed, you shouldn't weld once a pipe is ceramic coated.

Old 08-20-2004, 06:28 AM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt D. 78 GHOST:
Chris, 2.5" or 3.0"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still not sure what you mean Matt. You want to switch to HO exhaust manifolds that are 2.5" or 3"? Both RARE and Pypes stock 2.5" manifolds but nobody has a 3" manifold available. Our supplier showed me a prototype of a 3" manifold but he is a long way from production.