Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The LS 6.0 with rec port and the LS3 have a bigger intake port from the factory than ANY big block ever produced with about half the cubes. Food for thought.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 11-30-2021, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 389 View Post
I have a 69 el Camino SS396, it has a 1978 truck 454, Th400 2.73 rear end. It has about 10,000 miles on it. It blew the doors off my old 64 Pontiac 462 ported 6x, 041 cam. I was driving the Pontiac my brother was driving my el Camino..

Chevrolet is the king and always has been. Once I accepted this, I enjoyed my Pontiacs even more because I didn't have anything to prove.

I like how the cylinders on the Chevy are spaced evenly. The starter is on the passenger side to even out the weight.

Interesting note, The 68 to 72 el Camino has a massive frame its called the A.O. Smith #1942 the only other car or truck that uses this frame is the 69 to 72 Pontiac Grand Prix Model J..
And by the same token I can tell you how my roller cammed 400 69 GTO blew off probably 10 BBCs on the street, it doesn't prove anything.

Just look at my signature picture of the 67 GTO stock car in the winners circle, where chevy powered cars are the norm. In 2 years I won 12 races with the GTO against mostly chevies. I guess if you think a chevy is unbeatable, then you'll get beaten.

BTW, the topic is LS engines, which aren't chevys, they're corporate GM engines. I know, because I own an 05 GTO with an LS2. I also own Straostreak powered Pontiacs. The power of an LS is very linear, not high torque like a Pontiac, which has an advantage at lower RPMs.

It's in the tuning and setup that makes one car faster than another. You can have 1000 HP and get beaten by something with lower HP if it won't transmit power to the ground efficiently. Unless you're comparing 2 engines on the same dyno, you won't get an accurate estimate of which produces the absolute top numbers.

Racing on clay gives you a completely different set of skills than running in a straight line on asphalt. And again "if your spinnin, you ain't winnin", so car setup plays a high percentage of which car wins, it's not all about the torque and HP of the engine.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 11-30-2021, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
Yes, something like that would be sweet. Lol

The hot rodding guys, like most of the Good guys shows, do have it figured out how to make the LS pretty nice looking. The LS crowd seems to show up at our cruise in’s & shows looking like truck engines.
Yeah, this is terrible...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211130_130154.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	578845

Name:	20211130_130201.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	578846

Name:	20211130_130207.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	578847

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankieT/A For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 02:32 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
And by the same token I can tell you how my roller cammed 400 69 GTO blew off probably 10 BBCs on the street, it doesn't prove anything.

Just look at my signature picture of the 67 GTO stock car in the winners circle, where chevy powered cars are the norm. In 2 years I won 12 races with the GTO against mostly chevies. I guess if you think a chevy is unbeatable, then you'll get beaten.

BTW, the topic is LS engines, which aren't chevys, they're corporate GM engines. I know, because I own an 05 GTO with an LS2. I also own Straostreak powered Pontiacs. The power of an LS is very linear, not high torque like a Pontiac, which has an advantage at lower RPMs.

It's in the tuning and setup that makes one car faster than another. You can have 1000 HP and get beaten by something with lower HP if it won't transmit power to the ground efficiently. Unless you're comparing 2 engines on the same dyno, you won't get an accurate estimate of which produces the absolute top numbers.

Racing on clay gives you a completely different set of skills than running in a straight line on asphalt. And again "if your spinnin, you ain't winnin", so car setup plays a high percentage of which car wins, it's not all about the torque and HP of the engine.

Out of multiple pages of " Love my Pontiacs" to "I hate Chevys" and by association "I hate LS engines" a Race Guy who runs on something OTHER
that the street or the Quarter Mile passes on solid INFORMATION.

How many of you people are "willing to listen?"

JMT

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This one - at a local cruise in is tastefully done
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4039[1].jpg
Views:	147
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	578848   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4040[1].jpg
Views:	105
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	578849  

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grivera For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

one of the bigger disadvantages of the big block chevy, in my opinion, is that you get some really unfortunate google search results for “bbc” that just don’t seem to happen when you google “lsx” or “pontiac.”

The Following User Says Thank You to i82much For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
That's really the problem. Brand loyalty causes blindness and narrow mind style thinking. That's just the way people are. Not just Pontiac but most any car group. I see it all the time owning several different brand cars myself. Very rarely do I ever run into someone that enjoys and can appreciate several different brands of cars for what they are.

Life is too short to have blind loyalty to one brand.

My garage constantly has cars cycling through from all makes, and yes, even ones from other countries. Chevy, Ford, Mopar, B.O.P, Nissan, BMW, Audi etc. etc.

I like everything, and refuse to be loyal to one brand.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 11-30-2021, 02:46 PM
Suspended

Man..some of you guys are hard on the little LS engine. Can yall show me on the teddy bear when the LS hurt you. It will be very therapeutic to get it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71qtAiNUCpL._AC_SX425_.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	578850  

The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Roberts For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
Man..some of you guys are hard on the little LS engine. Can yall show me on the teddy bear when the LS hurt you. It will be very therapeutic to get it out.
EHTTFMF!!!

Old 11-30-2021, 03:10 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
This one - at a local cruise in is tastefully done
I WISH I KNEW WHAT THE PAINT CODE WAS FOR HIS VEHICLE.
ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING COLOR.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:12 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
one of the bigger disadvantages of the big block chevy, in my opinion, is that you get some really unfortunate google search results for “bbc” that just don’t seem to happen when you google “lsx” or “pontiac.”
Everyone knows BBC is Big B*ob Convention.

TV

Old 11-30-2021, 03:13 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
EHTTFMF!!!
They make Eheads for the LS...😁

Old 11-30-2021, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Everyone knows BBC is Big B*ob Convention.

TV
I think that acronym is from back in the day when a "tranny" was still a car part ...

Old 11-30-2021, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know about you guys, but I am into certain Pontiacs not for the engine but the rest of the car; ie the styling, handling, etc. To me the early 2nd Gen Trans Ams and Formulas epitomized this: timeless styling, superb handling.

I don't see anybody barking about the 2 speed automatics getting chucked or 8.2's getting swapped out for a 9" or 12 bolt. LS' did come with Pontiacs factory - several excellent models in fact.

Saying the StratoStreak V8 is the heart and soul of Pontiac is silliness.

Old 11-30-2021, 04:05 PM

This thread is cracking me up. I don't see why some of you guys are so loyal the Pontiac only engine when Pontiac themselves installed chevy and olds engines in their Pontiac bodies while the engine was still in production??? If Pontiac isn't loyal to itself why are you guy's so damn loyal?

Last edited by PontiacFan428; 11-30-2021 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I am into certain Pontiacs not for the engine but the rest of the car; ie the styling, handling, etc. To me the early 2nd Gen Trans Ams and Formulas epitomized this: timeless styling, superb handling.

I don't see anybody barking about the 2 speed automatics getting chucked or 8.2's getting swapped out for a 9" or 12 bolt. LS' did come with Pontiacs factory - several excellent models in fact.

Saying the StratoStreak V8 is the heart and soul of Pontiac is silliness.
In case you weren't aware, I designed, and sold this shirt, plus 14 other designs, for 7 years (2005-2012) . I sold a helluva lot of them at Pontiac events, and this is one of 15 of the designs:

It shows how I, and a lot of other Pontiac faithful feel. There may not be any reason more to our allegiance than we like the way the cars feel, and drive

While the Stratostereak engine is my favorite engine, I have owned Pontiacs with many corporate engines. V6 3.8 Buicks, even and odd fire. 350 SBC, 5.7 liter olds diesel, LS2, and 3.1, 60 degree V6s. I do buy, and drive Pontiacs because I like the styling, and the feel over other brands of cars. If I had my choice they'd all have Pontiac derived engines, but GM and Pontiac didn't choose to build only Pontiac derived engines in them.

In my 50 year career as mechanic, I have driven, and worked on just about everything GM made, as well as most foreign and domestic stuff, a large cross section. I still prefer the feel of driving a Pontiac, and like the architecture of the engines they designed. For a 70 plus year old design, it has held up very well to the competition.

I made this shirt too:

Because no one offered a T shirt that told how the Pontiac faithful felt.

There are people that own Pontiacs, because they like certain aspects of a car. There are also people that own Pontiacs because no one makes a car that feels/drives like a Pontiac. They are the Pontiaddicts, I'm one of those.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 11-30-2021, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Picked up a 79 TA project sans engine/transmission for my 17 y/o son. He's been wanting to build something himself that he can have fun with and use for autoX. He has zero brand loyalty, no interest in correctness, and a tight budget, so he didn't even consider anything but LS. If I had a spare running 400 or 455 lying around, the story might be different.

Old 11-30-2021, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan428 View Post
This thread is cracking me up. I don't see why some of you guys are so loyal the Pontiac only engine when Pontiac themselves installed chevy and olds engines in their Pontiac bodies while the engine was still in production??? If Pontiac is loyal to itself why are you guy's so damn loyal?

Not sure but I think the OP asked what is the point of switching to an LS engine... But sometimes these threads go a little bit sideways

Old 11-30-2021, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
They make Eheads for the LS...😁
Right now they don't make anything!!! 😠

Old 11-30-2021, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
Picked up a 79 TA project sans engine/transmission for my 17 y/o son. He's been wanting to build something himself that he can have fun with and use for autoX. He has zero brand loyalty, no interest in correctness, and a tight budget, so he didn't even consider anything but LS. If I had a spare running 400 or 455 lying around, the story might be different.
My 79 has a LS3 in it, 5 speed and other nasty tricks - took it to a road course and it vexxed late model Corvettes and Camaros. 200 pounds off the nose made it a completely different car. Like your son's, mine was sans driveline.

Have him save up for a 600 Series or Delphi steering box; huge difference!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TA.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	578855  

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread