Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Order you did things

Essentially I am replacing everything in the car. I am a little bumfuddled on the order on which I should be doing reassembly so here's my plan tell me if you would change anything.
Once I get the car back from AMD I am going to leave the front sheetmetal off where I can work and I am going to replace all brake lines. Then I am going to install the ford 9 inch and all the suspension goodies I got for the rear. Build motor and install it and transmission in car as one unit and send measurements for driveshaft back to American Powertrain so they can build driveshaft. Motor will already be broken in from dyno so I don't have to worry about that. Next install AC parts that need to be installed with the sheetmetal out of the way. Send my bumpers, emblems, quarter panel trim etc to Paul's plating to have them restored. Send body out to body shop for them to put the front end back on and do bodywork and paint on car. Figure this will be easier to paint dash etc because glass will be out of it. After that's done take it to glass shop for new glass. Get it back do a complete rewire with M&H wiring harnesses and install all the brake components I had to take off to detail firewall. Take the car to get upholstery installed after wiring and when I get it back do the little details like ididit column, chrome reinstall and dash trim. Install stereo. Crank her up and drive. Anybody think I should change around my plans

Old 09-08-2017, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hello.........

I will be a subscriber to your posting...

I have been lurking on your other posts.... and it looks like you have one heck of a
quality restoration project goin' down ...

may I suggest ... its easier for some of us old guys to see and think about lists.. listed similar to...

1. get the body home
2. take pictures
3. feed the dog
3a. hug the significant partner
4. grab a barley pop
5. call your insurance agent
6. change the code on your garage keypad
6a back to the fridge
b recycle first barley pop
7. back to the garage ..pull up a stool
8. take a deep breath ........... and say FINALLY !!!
9. glug glug glug .....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

just an idea ....

then we can kinda plug in here and there our experiences with you .....

I wish you great results in a timely fashion ......

Scott T ........

Old 09-08-2017, 11:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Generally speaking, I usually reassemble the car in the same order that the factory did when they were first built with the exception of the body drop. The factory married the finished chassis with the finished body but i don't have that equipment available to me so I mount the painted body on the finished chassis and then trim it out in place. The general sequence I use goes something like this:
-doors, deck lid and latches
-firewall padding
-Firewall to rear wiring harnesses
-headliner and vinyl top (if applicable) or pump, cylinders, folding frame and convertible top
-front windshield and rear glass (if hardtop)
-exterior window felts, door and trunk weatherstrip
-emblems, moldings and trim
-door and side glass
-insulation, package tray, interior door and side panels and interior garnish moldings
-rear carpet, rear seats and belts if applicable
-heater box, ductwork, fresh air vent doors etc
-dash and steering column, foot controls, shifter, master cylinder etc
-forward carpet, front seats and belts if applicable
-front clip (core support, fenders, hood, valance etc (moldings and emblems preinstalled where necessary)
-antennae, interior kick panels, mirrors
-grill, headlights, tail lights etc

I probably forgot some important stuff but this should give you a good general plan. Tweak the order as you see fit or suits your particular circumstance.
Hope this helps.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks Like a great plan to me 64speed but I don't have funds to throw at a build like that, so if you don't mind I'm just going to borrow your help.

Uh-hemm... Hope you don't mind if I use you as my architect Purely, of course I will be calling occasionally to pizz, moan and complain but your plans look as if I could stay within the budget an on schedule.

First I will be closely following Scots procedures though, as they seem most prudent.

Thanks,
Frank

Last edited by 4zpeed; 09-09-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I like what PurelyGTO68 said. Get the wiring and firewall pad done first.

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The last thing I did was body and paint.Tom

Old 09-09-2017, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As soon as you get the body back from AMD, I would go ahead and send the body and the rest of the body panels to your body shop to be bodyworked and painted first. Actually you could haul it directly from AMD to the body shop, to eliminate an extra towing trip. Body and paint is a messy business, so having the bodywork and paint done before you install any new mechanicals and parts eliminates the very likely probability of getting dust and overspray on them.