THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:36 AM
Boost Engineer

Default Anyone have a driveway drain pipe widened?

I have a single car width drain pipe in the drain dish.

Looking to have the driveway extended to a "2 truck wide"
Driveway width.

Any knowledge on this upgrade on a piece of property?

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It depends some on the type of culvert that is already in-place. Some steel Culvert’s you can buy extensions and make it wider. Others, like some PVC culverts, the entire culvert may need to be replaced with a wider one.

In town or close too roadways call the diggers hotline and make sure there are no underground lines to cause trouble.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay S For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Was checking on adding a wide driveway here at the house. First thing was to call the "call before you dig" number to get underground utillities marked.

Long story short... The ditch was on the 'right of way' to the road. So road department did it for cost of materials. That's drain tiles and gravel.

The whole thing was less than I could buy drain tiles for from the local hardware store.

Clay

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to "QUICK-SILVER" For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ck local codes. You may need inspections. Anymore you cant just do repairs. Big business has helped this with small municipalities. So govts 'protect' themselves. $$$$ Time. I just heard local small garage addition at out church. Plans, engineering ,local inspections,plans sent to state. Ugh.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Our driveway crosses an irrigation tailwater ditch and the 30" galvanized culvert pipe rusted out and collapsed. It was less than 20 yrs old.

We had it replaced with a wider HDPE pipe after comparing the expected life.

Advice:

- Check with your homeowner's insurance. We lucked out and had a buried service line rider that actually covered the cost. This was huge, as the cost was not for the faint of heart.

- Shop around for the pipe. It was crazy expensive and scarce at the time. Contractors around here sometimes have extra/leftover laying around from other jobs and may be willing to sell it for less than the suppliers.

- Hire a good excavator that understands the bed and backfill compaction and has the equipment to do it right.

Galvanized pipe costs less, but we have salty soil that greatly reduces the expected life. I found this data online that may help you make an informed decision about the material:

https://ncspa.org/wp-content/uploads...rvlifeeval.pdf

Here's another reference I found useful. It describes trenching and backfill, both of which are important:

https://plasticpipe.org/common/Uploa...Procedures.pdf

Below you can see the rotted pipe they pulled out and the plastic pipe they installed.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210331_153751.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	601700   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210322_112622.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	601701   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210322_152753.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	601702  

Old 11-04-2022, 12:33 PM
Boost Engineer

I checked with the state inspector for the county.
He said that I could go with a 20 foot under driveway section and a pipe that extends an additional
2 feet of open air pipe on each side.

Going to have a 44 foot truss Morton Barn put up on the property and the existing driveway is
not going to cut it for the Morton Truck & Trailer to make the turn.

If it is not one thing, it is something else eating up the $$$$$.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did this exact thing at my house in Florida. Had to pull permits. Here, they required that the culvert go 5' beyond the paved area on both sides and capped with concrete. (your local codes could vary). The county was mainly concerned with not stopping the flow of runoff. I replaced a 12' driveway at the street to a 24' plus 5' of flare.

Old 11-04-2022, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have 2- metal corrugated pipes under the driveway, and 1 slightly bigger dia Ribbed black plastic pipe . Well both Galv'd metal pipes have rusted open at the 6:30, while the Black plastic is good-n-round.

All installed circa 1999-2001.

Old 11-04-2022, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can the Morton truck be unloaded at the street? I imagine it's easier for them if they can just slide the trusses off the back of their trailer onto the ground, but it should also be possible to pick them up with a telehandler and carry them to the building site. They'll probably already have one on site for use during construction. It may cost a little extra, but probably not as much as widening the driveway entry.

Old 11-07-2022, 09:48 AM
Senior Chief

If they deliver like Cleary did for me, the semi tractor has an extra set of framerails that they put forklift forks into, used for unloading the barn items from the trailer after unhooking. They dont unload by just rolling off the back like is common when just doing trusses.

The truck that brought my barn (poles, lumber, trusses, roofing) had enough material on it for three entire buildings and unload with the "semi tractor forklift forks"

When I had our house built in 1997, I had a 40ft wide, 24" double walled plastic culvert installed. Everyone told me I was wasting my money by making the driveway extra wide. Here I am years later, knowing it was one of the best decisions. Bringing in semis and backing in my 32ft enclosed is zero problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	semi.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	601830  

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan

Last edited by Mr Anonymous; 11-07-2022 at 09:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Easy job, Rent an excavator and do it yourself if the town will allow it. There isn’t and easier job out there Up here you need to be bonded for many projects but other places are much more forgiving. We aren’t allowed to do a lot here here these days as homeowners ( I was a builder home and comercial buildings ) like garage drains are illegal and a culvert has to be “approved “ and go through hydraulic engineering for surrounding areas etc. It’s a pita. But the job itself is easy as easy gets . Use. A plate compactor and do the back fill in lifts 6 inch to 1 foot and if you have water available run water over it to help settle everything. Can save a lot of money doing it yourself but I have my own excavators so I just fire it up and go to town on it. It’s really a one person job so no real need for help. Can have someone help so you dint need to get out of the excavator that’s always nice but not necessity.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 11-07-2022, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Use to be what the govt doesnt know can not hurt you. Now I'm not sure. Sooo.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:25 PM
Boost Engineer

I have a commercial company a mile from the house that has done lots of work for me in the past.
I will not do it myself. They have the experience to do it right and know all of the inspectors.

Thanks for the information.

Tom V.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably best to hire someone. That way its done right and the A-hole city/county inspectors can justify their 120k+ a year job.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 11-08-2022, 02:12 PM
Boost Engineer

The people who would do the job said there was a 30 ft culvert pipe in great shape and we just needed to add some fill to the road bed to get that wider. Simple job for them apparently and not expensive at all. Morton Building will be installed at the end of February/ early March. Little building 52 x 55.

Thanks for the info members.

Tom V.

Old 11-08-2022, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck on the building. It will be nice when done!

When I out mine in I had bought a culvert but let the county guys use their own and they filled over it to be sure it was what they wanted. Shop just turned 8 last week! Had to get a building permit but they never inspected the shop.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 11-08-2022, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been a few years when doing some house building in Mi. you went thru the road commision for driveway permits/culverts.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This brings up fond memories, I had the contract with the county quite a few years ago installing these. We could do 4 -6 driveways a day, Ah the good ole days