Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-28-2001, 08:24 PM

I put a 400hp 455 in my 66 GP. it has a th400 & 3:42 posi.I'm still working on getting it to hook up but when I do is my stock driveshaft gonna hold up?the car originally came with a 389.
Also should I put traction bars on it to help it hook up?if so which style?any other suggestions are welcomed.

------------------
smokem if you got em

Old 08-28-2001, 08:24 PM

I put a 400hp 455 in my 66 GP. it has a th400 & 3:42 posi.I'm still working on getting it to hook up but when I do is my stock driveshaft gonna hold up?the car originally came with a 389.
Also should I put traction bars on it to help it hook up?if so which style?any other suggestions are welcomed.

------------------
smokem if you got em

Old 08-28-2001, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it hasn't been "overhauled", no it isn't strong enough.

Pull it and have it checked for straightness and balance. Install new U-Joints (at least Spicers) and put it back in. Now it is strong enough.

Old 08-28-2001, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What's the general consensus on how much torque the stock drive shafts will handle?

How about the same w/ new Spicer's, straightened, & balanced?

How much difference in inital driveline shock is there between manuals / autos coming out of the hole? Assuming all other parameters are equal.

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 08-29-2001, 10:10 AM

If your going to run slicks,, it's a good idea to swap to a beefier shaft, say .080 thick. I blew my stock shaft in half going through the lights,,,not a pleasant feeling!Get good solid joints and make sure your yokes are up to snuff...Good Luck

------------------
Rich

Old 08-29-2001, 10:58 AM
On Vacation

I would say around 600HP would be close to the limit if the shaft has been "gone over", but there are many other variables involved.

Weight, tire, torque output, transmission type, and transmission modifications all become part of the equaision. Heavy car+ more traction+ higher torque output= broken stock driveshaft.

Also, keep in mind, that launching off the transbreak or shifting a four speed trans hard will all shorten the life of any driveshaft and will destroy a stock one.

Old 08-29-2001, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For an example, take my 79 T/A. 462, TH400, 3.23's, 26x10 ET-Streets, race weight 4150 lbs. Had stock shaft cut and shortened (to fit TH400), straightened and rebalanced, and Spicer U-Joints installed. Thus far it has been maintenance free (short of greasing the U-Joints once per year).

Best ET on motor = 12.78 @ 106 with 1.81 60 ft.

Best ET on 150-HP shot of n20 = 11.91 @ 115 with 1.75 60 ft.