Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-13-2000, 09:53 AM

Morning gentlemen. I finally broke down and purchased Accel's DFI. Its a 1200 cfm unit that will be fitted to a Torker II. Now comes the fun part. I need to create a timing map and a fuel map. Basically you put a value in a chart, top is rpm, side is psi. I will be taking my car close to 6K and running 10 psi. Anybody have any advise on either the timing map on fuel map? If I get the basic timing map down, Im just going to retard 1 degree for every 1 psi. Initial will probably be 12 to 14. Full 36-38. I need to know what rpm to bring full at and should I run full timing all the way to 6K or drop it off. (I heard retarding the timing at top end helps). The fuel map, well Im clueless where to start. Im trying to call various Accel installers to find someone who has made a fuel map for a Pontiac but no success yet.

Engine basics, (if need more info please visit web page) 463 cid, rollor cam 575I 600E, 5 speed, paxton blower 10 psi.
http://members.aol.com/NYLewis/poncho.html

PS See the article in HotRod on the Moroso vacuum pump? Had the same problem with pulling too much vacuum even after splitting to both valve covers and running a smaller pulley. The break valve is now on order.

Old 01-13-2000, 09:53 AM

Morning gentlemen. I finally broke down and purchased Accel's DFI. Its a 1200 cfm unit that will be fitted to a Torker II. Now comes the fun part. I need to create a timing map and a fuel map. Basically you put a value in a chart, top is rpm, side is psi. I will be taking my car close to 6K and running 10 psi. Anybody have any advise on either the timing map on fuel map? If I get the basic timing map down, Im just going to retard 1 degree for every 1 psi. Initial will probably be 12 to 14. Full 36-38. I need to know what rpm to bring full at and should I run full timing all the way to 6K or drop it off. (I heard retarding the timing at top end helps). The fuel map, well Im clueless where to start. Im trying to call various Accel installers to find someone who has made a fuel map for a Pontiac but no success yet.

Engine basics, (if need more info please visit web page) 463 cid, rollor cam 575I 600E, 5 speed, paxton blower 10 psi.
http://members.aol.com/NYLewis/poncho.html

PS See the article in HotRod on the Moroso vacuum pump? Had the same problem with pulling too much vacuum even after splitting to both valve covers and running a smaller pulley. The break valve is now on order.

Old 01-13-2000, 12:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I can get you a MAP to get close to start and run. You will need a chassis dyno with a wide band O2 sensor to get it perfect. Supercharged engines aren't as sensitive to air fuel ratios as N/A.

Old 01-13-2000, 03:16 PM

Wow, sounds like a nice car. How does it run? Did you ever run it at the track? I'll bet it's hard to find someone to stay next to you on the road. Your car looks awesome, and it must be a blast to drive. Tell us more!!!

Old 01-13-2000, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I suggest you contact both Heinrich Gerhardt (hgerhardt@earthlink.net) and Jack Blum (jaxgto@compuserve.com) Both have built custom FI for thier GTOs. Heinrich was the cover car for Car Craft several months ago and Jack was just in HPP. Jack's combo is most like yours.

------------------
www.PontiacDragDays.com
Dave "Big Injun" Anderson

For GTO Celebration items click the tile coaster.
Old 02-04-2000, 01:53 AM

I'm running Accel/DFI on my supercharged 455 and its a nice system but be prepared for some quality time testing/tuning. It's trial and error the whole way. You should have got a base fuel map with the system. The maps are not really pontiac specific or any other brand. You have to approach it on a air fuel ratio level. If you dont have the Calmap software and a laptop you are pissing into the wind. Hope I can be of some help, let me know?