Old 12-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
I've got to tell you that these guys can/will help you get your car on the road. Three years ago, about this time of year, I pulled my entire dash which was something I've never done before. I got staph infection and spent a week in the hospital. About 3 months after I got out I tried putting the dash back together and install it but I had Amnesia and couldn't remember a thing. With the help of PY'ers I got it all back together again and working fine. They will get you going!
It sure does seem like it. I'm really overwhelmed by this outpouring of generosity and hope that I will be able to make everyone proud by getting the old girl back on the road again, sooner rather than later!

Old 12-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That mirror and bracket are for 64-6, so put that in the do not use pile. I can help with distributor as mentioned and 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 13, 14, 23, trans mount, and correct hubcaps.
You should buy the starter.
If you have your taillight harness, you can repair and rewrap

Old 12-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Interesting that the mirror was incorrect. This car looked like no one had even fooled with it. Good info to know!

I still have the tail light harness. I suppose I could do some splice work and make it cooperate. I need to look at it again.

I have no problem buying a new starter. I was going to bench it to see if it was ok. I have a few floating around (alternators as well)...

Andre, I really appreciate the gesture from you and the other members to help me out with these parts.

I'm going to need to take more pics to make sure I am using the correct parts.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Box started... distributor, 2 Napa u joints, cowl seal, lower radiator hose, gotta keep searching. Found the belts, but no idea which ones are correct.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

wow. That was quick! I'm truly in awe.

btw, I don't have any idea about the belts either.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can find the length for alternator belt and PS belt, that would help. Then I can compare. I have a rear view mirror that is the GM replacement with a painted back instead of stainless. Nice mirror and will work till you want to spring for a more correct repo. I'll put that in the box. The best part of searching for this stuff helps me find other parts I had squirelled away.
Also found good spare starter and alternator but the weight on those is ridiculous

Old 12-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was looking through my pics and this might help. I haven't looked up any numbers yet and I think I tossed the belts in a cleaning frenzy (I assumed that I would be using lots of new parts) I'll need to double check... I have parts inside the car, the garage and an exterior shelter that it covered in ice...Alternator looks relatively new from the pic. I will dig it up and have it tested along with the starter...

I have a bunch of car parts squirreled away as well. I think all car guys are prone to save parts for just in case... I've been to plenty of swap meets but since I don't know enough about what I'm looking at, I've probably passed by a bunch of great stuff!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tempest dismantling 064.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	345902  

Last edited by boostmaster; 12-08-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A few more of the dash... Going to check through more of the pics to see what else I have questions on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tempest dismantling 065.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	345908   Click image for larger version

Name:	tempest dismantling 066.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	345909   Click image for larger version

Name:	tempest dismantling 067.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	345910   Click image for larger version

Name:	tempest dismantling 068.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	345912   Click image for larger version

Name:	tempest dismantling 075.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	345914  

Last edited by boostmaster; 12-08-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What's the little pronged item in the forefront?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tempest dismantling 042.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	345917  

Old 12-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When we purchased this car the "boss" was very specific about "NEEDING" a/c. This is a non-a/c car so I was going to retrofit it. I think Andre had made the point to skip the old original stuff and go with something like vintage air. I have some of the brackets and partial set up for original a/c (purchased before the vintage air option was floated)

It's been a while since I was thinking about a/c as I figured it would be WAY down the road. But, I saw this pic and was wondering if I install this heater core and the vintage air unit when I finally purchase it or it the vintage air unit is an all in one deal?

Just curious. (I hadn't had the unit cleaned or blasted as I think the vintage air unit will be an all in one...)

Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tempest dismantling 074.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	345920  

Old 12-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The vintage air unit replaces that entire assembly. You can use factory brackets and compressor/ dryer along with vintage air setup for a more stock appearance

Old 12-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I understand. I think I'll re-do the old unit and reuse it for the time being. The vintage air stuff is over $1k and not necessary to get the car running.

I went out and looked at my engine harness. It feels brittle and looks to have been spliced at some time. I'll just order a new one. The tail is chewed up in several spots. I could splice in new wire but for $100 or so, it may be easier to go new and avoid issues.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default "pronged

The little "pronged" item appears to me to be a horn relay

Old 12-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostmaster View Post
I understand. I think I'll re-do the old unit and reuse it for the time being. The vintage air stuff is over $1k and not necessary to get the car running.

I went out and looked at my engine harness. It feels brittle and looks to have been spliced at some time. I'll just order a new one. The tail is chewed up in several spots. I could splice in new wire but for $100 or so, it may be easier to go new and avoid issues.
Just a thought if you are going to go the vintage air way they supply you with block off plates for the firewall if you are doing eng compt would be a good time to do the firewall was allot easier wit the eng out if you need help with the air install just finished one.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966geeto View Post
Just a thought if you are going to go the vintage air way they supply you with block off plates for the firewall if you are doing eng compt would be a good time to do the firewall was allot easier wit the eng out if you need help with the air install just finished one.
So, are you suggesting that I purchase the vintage air stuff now? Or do they sell the block-off plate individually?

My original intention was to do all OEM stock stuff. I've go the box that goes in the fender and the compressor mounting brackets.

Then after seeing Andre's resto and learning the benefits of a newer more efficient system, I figured I'd go with the vintage air set up. Ideally, doing a bit of custom job and hiding the long rubber hoses that look terrible (IMO) and clutter the engine bay... (One of my favorite things about old car engine bays is the lack of clutter- keeps things clean and simple)

Anyway, not sure if this block off plate is something that I will need or if I can re-use the old bits since I was going to route my hoses within the fender.

Do you have any pics? I'm always interested in learning something new. And exploring new ideas

Old 12-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
So, are you suggesting that I purchase the vintage air stuff now? Or do they sell the block-off plate individually?

My original intention was to do all OEM stock stuff. I've go the box that goes in the fender and the compressor mounting brackets.

Then after seeing Andre's resto and learning the benefits of a newer more efficient system, I figured I'd go with the vintage air set up. Ideally, doing a bit of custom job and hiding the long rubber hoses that look terrible (IMO) and clutter the engine bay... (One of my favorite things about old car engine bays is the lack of clutter- keeps things clean and simple)

Anyway, not sure if this block off plate is something that I will need or if I can re-use the old bits since I was going to route my hoses within the fender.

Do you have any pics? I'm always interested in learning something new. And exploring new ideas
It was just a thought I know it's a big hit but just remember the V/Air hoses run under the fender they were very frustrating to do with the fender off can't imagine doing them with the fender on also the firewall block off plates where the hoses run through you have to have the fender off to install the plate for the hoses just thinking would be much easier with eng out and fender off these might help..

Name:	ac 001 (Small).JPG
Views:	57
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	346046

Name:	ac 002 (Small).JPG
Views:	60
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	346047

Name:	ac 003 (Small).JPG
Views:	62
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	346048

Name:	ac 004 (Small).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	346049

If you plan on using any other compressor than theirs the hoses come with the comp side fittings removed you have to clock them and then have them crimped then get them through the firewall can be done but getting them through the firewall with the fittings in is a bitch.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the pics! Looks like what I want to do. Unfortunately, an extra $1k is out of the budget for now. Once the "boss" has graduated and starts working we will have a chance to re-visit the project and "upgrade"? Right now, my goal was just to have the car mostly assembled and running.

Sadly, this terrible weather has slowed my progress. I usually push the garage queen out of the garage if there is no rain/snow falling so that I can fire up the heater and work on projects over the weekends. Last weekend it was sleet friday to sunday. This weekend is calling for the same. Yet, as luck would have it, while I sit here at work, it's sunny and clear. (about 13* though).

Old 12-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Thanks for the pics! Looks like what I want to do. Unfortunately, an extra $1k is out of the budget for now. Once the "boss" has graduated and starts working we will have a chance to re-visit the project and "upgrade"? Right now, my goal was just to have the car mostly assembled and running.

Sadly, this terrible weather has slowed my progress. I usually push the garage queen out of the garage if there is no rain/snow falling so that I can fire up the heater and work on projects over the weekends. Last weekend it was sleet friday to sunday. This weekend is calling for the same. Yet, as luck would have it, while I sit here at work, it's sunny and clear. (about 13* though).
Was thinking if you could get just the block off plates for now would make life easier there was a set on e bay for 10 $ not to rub it in but it's been in the low 80s here starting to wonder if we will see any cold this year not complaining at all was in shorts and tee working in the shop don't hate lol..

Old 12-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok I understand now. Good idea. I'll need to look and see what I can find. Would you happen to have a link so I know exactly what I'm looking for? (I like to buy things only once. So far, I've made a few mistakes and have some parts I don't need)

BTW, I think that I might actually hate you after all. 80* and wondering about cold weather? Come on man! Enjoy that sunshine and heat. If all goes well, I may be back in the sunshine state by this time next year. At least I hope so. I'm really sick of cold weather and it's only early December (Had snow before Thanksgiving!)and we're probably going to continue to have cold through March.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 PM

Default post up what is left

After receiving the above members parts, post up what you may need. I will gladly help!!!!

62 catalina siverleaf green

67 gto conv. M22 , stroker, roller 400, carlisle blue, parchment interior
65 stingray original condition numbers matching 327 365 hp