Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2023, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New build

Well after 6 months of searching I finally got my 1962, 389, 11B block.....so now the fun begins! This will be going in a 4 speed, 62 GP that currently has 3.42 gears. .Goals, reliable street driver with a couple trips to the strip annually and want the car to run in under 13 seconds in the quarter. Car needs to look stock.
All internals to be new and forged. I am locked into the 177 heads and at this time because I want everything to "look" original. I will also be using the 1962 tri-power I have that was rebuilt and works very well. The car will not get headers but will be using the long branch manifolds.
So a few questions I am thinking an .060 overbore if sonic testing says it can support it....it is currently a standard bore block ..... 1) what is the largest stroke that is reasonable and safe for these engines? 2) what would a max effort look like on the 177 X/O heads look like? Is it possible to get 230 or 240 out of it? Given that the heads will likely be the limiting factor to making good power what about a cam that could work best for this type of application? Life would be easier to go another way but I tend to take the path less traveled. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Last edited by carcrazy; 12-06-2023 at 10:15 PM. Reason: add information