Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Found this on a Chebby board.

"Has anybody seen this months Hemmings Muscle Machines? In the mag, there is an article about a Gold '65 GTO "Bobcat". I guess it was the Pontiac equivalent of a Yenko (well, kinda ). Anyway, the article gives a run down about tricks the Royal Pontiac mechanics used for extracting every last bit of power out of the 421. Some of the tricks are obvious, one isnt.

I guess that they would cut (leave?) the washers off of the gasketed spark plugs so the spark plug tips stuck farther into the combustion chamber. The mag says that it reduced the chamber by 1cc or so, raising the compression. Is this for real ? I was wondering if it was due to the way the Pontiac head was designed? Ive never seen Pontiac heads off of a car (couldnt see the chamber)- Only Chevrolet . Lots of knowledgeable engine people here, so I thought I might ask. Kind of a cool super tuning trick if it actually does work "

What do you all think? I think no measureable gain would be seen.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 07-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Found this on a Chebby board.

"Has anybody seen this months Hemmings Muscle Machines? In the mag, there is an article about a Gold '65 GTO "Bobcat". I guess it was the Pontiac equivalent of a Yenko (well, kinda ). Anyway, the article gives a run down about tricks the Royal Pontiac mechanics used for extracting every last bit of power out of the 421. Some of the tricks are obvious, one isnt.

I guess that they would cut (leave?) the washers off of the gasketed spark plugs so the spark plug tips stuck farther into the combustion chamber. The mag says that it reduced the chamber by 1cc or so, raising the compression. Is this for real ? I was wondering if it was due to the way the Pontiac head was designed? Ive never seen Pontiac heads off of a car (couldnt see the chamber)- Only Chevrolet . Lots of knowledgeable engine people here, so I thought I might ask. Kind of a cool super tuning trick if it actually does work "

What do you all think? I think no measureable gain would be seen.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 07-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think that topic on the Chevrolet site will eventually wind itself around into a discussion about the 1-of-1 factory R.A. V GTO built.

Old 07-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Bobcat package was from Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac. It was offered from mild to wild. If you would like more information on it, go to Milt Schornck's website and ask him, as he was there when they were really into performance for the Pontiac! I know this because I was into racing in the mid 60's and bought parts from them. I still have a flyer from back then.

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08