Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-01-2004, 09:53 AM

I posted a while back about having a heads up race at Norwalk and allowing other manufacturers to compete.

Heard alot of whining and mumbling about it and one issue seemed to be time to prepare for the race since Norwalk is coming up in a couple of months.

So here it is again ....Pontiac Engine builders and Parts Suppliers can put up money for a winners only pot. (I'll put up 1000.00 of my own money) So that we have a winners only pot of 6000-10,000 dollars. For Example, we could offer 5000.00 to tthe winner and 7500.00 if it is a Pontiac. It is open to All manufacturers and the only limitations are 3200lb car and 10.5 inch tire.

We do it 11 months from now in Richmond at the Pontiacs in the Park event so there is plenty of time to prepare.

I know for a fact that there are quite a few pontiac folks building very fast cars that will not be ready till next spring. Mine included.

Pontiacs racing other Pontiacs is worthless.

Hearing a Chevy guy say my car runs fast for a Pontiac pisses me off and hearing it from a Ford guy is twice as bad.

This could end up being a premier dragracing event in the USA. Pontiac vs the World in heads up racing.

Well............

Old 07-01-2004, 09:53 AM

I posted a while back about having a heads up race at Norwalk and allowing other manufacturers to compete.

Heard alot of whining and mumbling about it and one issue seemed to be time to prepare for the race since Norwalk is coming up in a couple of months.

So here it is again ....Pontiac Engine builders and Parts Suppliers can put up money for a winners only pot. (I'll put up 1000.00 of my own money) So that we have a winners only pot of 6000-10,000 dollars. For Example, we could offer 5000.00 to tthe winner and 7500.00 if it is a Pontiac. It is open to All manufacturers and the only limitations are 3200lb car and 10.5 inch tire.

We do it 11 months from now in Richmond at the Pontiacs in the Park event so there is plenty of time to prepare.

I know for a fact that there are quite a few pontiac folks building very fast cars that will not be ready till next spring. Mine included.

Pontiacs racing other Pontiacs is worthless.

Hearing a Chevy guy say my car runs fast for a Pontiac pisses me off and hearing it from a Ford guy is twice as bad.

This could end up being a premier dragracing event in the USA. Pontiac vs the World in heads up racing.

Well............

Old 07-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds to me like you should contact the NSCA and try to make a end of season big event for 10.5 tire guys. You'll likely continue to have mumblings and grumblings from Pontiac show developers as they're market is designed much like a Super Chevy show.

Been saying Norwalk is Pontiac's answer to Super chevy

-Rob

Old 07-01-2004, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the problem with your rule is there are some big ci motors for the othere manufactures our bore size wouldnt let us compete

Mat it! Spray it! Chute it! Just another 8 Second Pass!
Old 07-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like alot of fun, and I would suggest contacting Jim Zeek if you're serious and see what his thoughts and feelings are.

My thoughts? For a Pontiac to win it, someone else would have to break. There's a guy named Mobley (spelling?) that runs the OPS series at 75-80 which only has two basic rules:

3000 lbs.
10.5 tire

He's run 4.80's in the 1/8th mile.

Old 07-03-2004, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went to a 10.5 inch tire class last night, I hate to say it but forget about it, your bringing a toothpick to a gun fight. There were 4 cars in the 4's.

Those guys have cubic dollars and all the R and D in the world.If you kept it all Pontiac heads up that would be fun, but theres not that many cars that can compete.

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 07-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Senior Chief

Lil Jack we run OPS every friday nite and that was the first time ive seen that many 4 second cars I dont even know some of them that showed up,that was the first time ever that we didnt qualify and we ran a 5.56!!I think if your gonna run a heads up OPS race keep it all pontiacs and lets see who the man is ,we still have more left in our 70 bird, lets do it baby! Joe(Pontiac)Deyton

Old 07-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Boost Engineer

I agree that you should keep it all Pontiac as the fast 10.5 cars
would eat you alive in head to head competition.

As far as the Cubic Dollars, you got that right Lil' Jack!

Even with SunKist Oranges money it is still hard to stay on top.

I know that Dragula would like to have the Pontiac guys experience
a really fast 10.5 tire meet (like Joe and Jack have seen) but
no Pontiac guy would be happy at the end.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Vaught:
I agree that you should keep it all Pontiac as the fast 10.5 cars
would eat you alive in head to head competition.

As far as the Cubic Dollars, you got that right Lil' Jack!

Even with SunKist Oranges money it is still hard to stay on top.

I know that Dragula would like to have the Pontiac guys experience
a really fast 10.5 tire meet (like Joe and Jack have seen) but
no Pontiac guy would be happy at the end.

Tom V. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
WE shall see! Im not there yet but I not far off.

Old 07-05-2004, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What was the 1/8th E.T. on that 8.64 pass, Ray? Joe Deyton had a 5.58 at 75-80 and didn't make the OPS 16 car field.

Old 07-05-2004, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"My thoughts? For a Pontiac to win it, someone else would have to break. There's a guy named Mobley (spelling?) that runs the OPS series at 75-80 which only has two basic rules:

3000 lbs.
10.5 tire

He's run 4.80's in the 1/8th mile."

Sounds like an Outlaw 10.5 class or 10.5 unlimited. 4.80's is just about the national average, the fast W guys are going 50's and 60's now. 4.90's is common at the outlaw tracks in the midwest here that'll get you a round or two. The true 10.5 guys are going 5.00-5.25

If you were going to try to throw a race such as this I'd suggest not allowing the W's. Make the turbo cars weigh 3500, superchargers 3400, nitrous big inch motors 3200 and nitrous small inch motors 3000. Of course give weight breaks to stock type suspensions, cars 79- prior, etc. Make all cars look like cars: Retain openings where they were originally (grills etc.) street legal with working lights, no lexan.

Or you could just save yourself the trouble and attend a Pro, NSCA, PSCA, Clash of the Titans, or any number of the fine outlaw street car races around the country.

Old 07-05-2004, 08:55 PM
Senior Chief

Basically the "ops" races we attend to at our local tracks Mason Dixon & 75-80 have really turned into outlaw 10.5.It used to you could have a car in the 6's that could compete. Now guys like Mobley have come and beat up on everyone, including all the "little" guy chevy and fords. Heck, he only runs a 710 Fulton 5in. bore space motor. Barely even uses its potential, heck i guess it's easier for him to go and beat everyone around us than run the big outlaw races.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brian it was a 5.50 in the 1/8 and I had some 5.0s in the 1/8 testing at BG Friday

ventura I agree the tire makes the differance! I might put some Ws on my car for norwalk. also in those classes you can run a second and third stage of nitrous so once you leave the line on the first stage, you can really pore the Hp to it

I disagree I think a pontiac can compeat when someone tries but there are only a few of us running the first stage of nitrous let alone a second or third

for the class above, <span class="ev_code_RED">I can take out 475 LBS</span> and run a second stage on a bigger tire!! yes I need to drop 6 tenths, but 475 lbs is a lot the tire is more then add the second stage, not to mention my car is geared for 1/4 mile not 1/8th

Old 07-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brian I meant for that to be 5.55s in the 1/8th and I had some 5.50s on friday

Old 07-06-2004, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was gonna say "5.0's ?!!!"

Ventura, 4.80's at 75-80 is probably a 4.50 or 4.60 at a well groomed track. If you've ever been to 75-80, you'd understand.

Old 07-06-2004, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

4.80's is still fast its just more common nowdays I guess.

I like what a track in my area did once the W's started to take over, they restructured the class that put them up with the rest of the back halved cars in pro street. This slowed the true 10.5 class down for a little while. Once the class got too fast again they added a n/a 10.5 class. Too make the shootout fair all cars except the chassis cars in outlaw, make a 10-15 mile drive before the race. If you have to stop or get behind one of the pace cars then your dq'ed and have to run outlaw. This keeps the cars a little honest.

We have a few guys like Mobley around here, they can't compete at the big money races so they hit the local tracks and beat up on everybody for $500 at a time. That or they build their cars where they do not fit the rules and hit the local drags.

Old 07-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Senior Chief

Brian the last race was at mason dixon not 75&80 and elmer said he wasnt gonna(pay) or run a second field like bill does,and mobley only had one car there and it broke a tranny,some of the guys that race 75&80 didnt show up at mason dixon either,we helped tune my bosses blue camaro the one with the flames we got his car into the 4 sec range now also and there still not useing all the moutain motor, yes I think that a pontiac motor could run with them if you put more stages of nos, personaly im gonna try to do it, just as soon as we can get the butler aluminum block! Joe(Pontiac)Deyton

Old 07-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't hold your breath, Joe. You might want to call Bob and.or Frank at AllPontiac.com

Old 07-07-2004, 11:27 AM
Senior Chief

Brian your talking about the IA2 block right,I wanted the aluminum block from butlers to mainly get the weight off the front end,We need to get the weight down to 3,000pds Thats the limit in that OPS class.Has any body put after market upper and lower control arms on 2nd generation f-bodys and what was the weight savings?I already have qa1 coilover conversions and wilwood brakes.Joe(Pontiac)Deyton

Old 07-07-2004, 12:34 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JOE DEYTON:
Brian your talking about the IA2 block right,I wanted the aluminum block from butlers to mainly get the weight off the front end,We need to get the weight down to 3,000pds Thats the limit in that OPS class.Has any body put after market upper and lower control arms on 2nd generation f-bodys and what was the weight savings?I already have qa1 coilover conversions and wilwood brakes.Joe(Pontiac)Deyton <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe from what I am told the upper and lower control arms might remove about 30-40lbs and they cost about $800.00 through Fatman Fabrications. The uppers don't weigh that much to make a big difference. I did finally find a complete bolt on front end that save 200lbs. They said you would have to get your own mounts for a Pontiac motor though. Here is the link.

http://www.martzchassis.net/page1.htm

Chop-Chop