Old 10-19-2004, 06:32 AM

if you have noticed i have posted questions earlier about my dash pad. stage two of the dash resto is that fine silver edge around the gage bezels and A/C vents.. does anyone know who restores this area, or is it an easy do it your self prodject. i don't have an idea where to begin
thanks for your help!!

Old 10-19-2004, 06:32 AM

if you have noticed i have posted questions earlier about my dash pad. stage two of the dash resto is that fine silver edge around the gage bezels and A/C vents.. does anyone know who restores this area, or is it an easy do it your self prodject. i don't have an idea where to begin
thanks for your help!!

Old 10-19-2004, 08:35 AM
Senior Chief

It depends on your skill level. I'm in the midst of the same project.

-Many people are doing it themselves using testors silver and a steady hand.

-I know of at least one member here that used AlcadII, but you need to mask and paint to use Alcad.

-If you just want to have someone else do it, contact Performance Restorations 817-431-1888. I don't know what it will cost, but they do good work.

Mike

Old 10-19-2004, 08:48 AM

thanks for the tip....... i have seen these pin stripe dealies with a small wheel that lays down the paint has anyone ever tried this??it looks pretty simple and could lay down a fine line

Old 10-19-2004, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

gtomokwa, I used the alclad II on my gauge bezels and am very pleased. Very chrome like for paint.

Old 10-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it is a raised edge you are working on, a paint pen like this one will work. This one is silver, but they sell chrome ones too at art stores, like Michael's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010863.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	16932  

Old 10-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What I did with my vents was to get a nice flat piece of plastic, like a for-sale sign, and some silver paint. shake the hell out of the paint can, at least 3 minutes, then spray a heavy coat onto the plastic. Then quick as boiled asparagus, imprint the vents onto this wet paint and lift. It leaves excellent edges and NO brush marks.

Old 10-25-2004, 06:06 AM

WOW!! the krylon silver leaf pen works great!
used it this weekend on my dash, it leaves a clean crisp edge. and you can edge your dash in about 20 min. thanks guys for all the help

Old 10-26-2004, 06:55 AM
Senior Chief

I tried the krylon pen last night. Not as chrome"y" as I'd like, but went on east and with a steady hand, I had mine edged out in about 10 minutes and looks great!!

Mike

Old 11-04-2004, 08:48 PM

I used a product called Bare Metal Foil. It is an adhesive backed hobby foil for model cars. They sell it in a few colors. Gold, chrome, ultra chrome, copper, black. You just cut it bigger than you need it, burnish it down with a q-tip, and cut off the excess with a sharp xacto knife blade. It is real metal and it looks good. The trick is not to fold the edges over so you can use the ridge as your cut off guide. It looks just like chrome plating. Only downside is that it may move if it gets too warm. But it is a good cheap (about $8 a sheet) quick fix. I believe Hot Rod Magazine did a piece on this stuff a long time ago as a quick fix for dash replating. Your local hobby shop may carry it, or you can find it on the internet.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:46 PM

I used the krylon pen today on a used insert I recently picked up. Like others stated above (many years ago...) it goes on easy and quick and looks pretty good too.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:47 PM