Old 01-04-2005, 07:21 PM

I HAVE A 1970 GTO CONVERT. I SEE THAT IT DOES NOT HAVE DOOR JAM VENTS . (PLEASE NOTE THAT THE QUARTERS HAVE NOT BEEN REPLACED ON MY CAR.)
WHEN ARE DOOR JAM VENTS USED? HARDTOPS ONLY? WHAT YEAR WERE THEY FIRST USED? AND LAST, WHERE THE VENTS USED ON ALL GM BODIES, PONT. OLDS CHEV. ETC..ETC..?
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN THIS MATER

Old 01-04-2005, 07:21 PM

I HAVE A 1970 GTO CONVERT. I SEE THAT IT DOES NOT HAVE DOOR JAM VENTS . (PLEASE NOTE THAT THE QUARTERS HAVE NOT BEEN REPLACED ON MY CAR.)
WHEN ARE DOOR JAM VENTS USED? HARDTOPS ONLY? WHAT YEAR WERE THEY FIRST USED? AND LAST, WHERE THE VENTS USED ON ALL GM BODIES, PONT. OLDS CHEV. ETC..ETC..?
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN THIS MATER

Old 01-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My '69 has them. I've looked at quite a few pics of other Goats '69 - '71 and they have them. I'd like to see a pic of your quarter. Rags same as coupe I thought (a joke really since drafts are enough ventalation for me).

A G.M. replacement quarter come already cut out. I replaced on on a '69 GP I had.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:20 PM

I have a pair of GM replacement quarters (70-72). No cutouts. I'm told none of these quarters had them. As far as I know, 71 was the last year for the vents. Are you sure they have never been replaced?

Old 01-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do some research here as there was a thread about this last fall. Here it is. http://forums.performanceyears.com/g...4196#354104196

Old 01-05-2005, 04:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

72 GTO hardtop has vents 70 GTO convert no vents no replacement panels on either. Down here we get to buy rust free cars

Old 01-05-2005, 05:51 AM

it was called flow through ventilation. it should have it that year. do you need it? i was told years ago that when the car was moving, the air flowing through the vent pushed air and moisture out of the drain holes to prevent rust building up inside the quarters. now if your drain holes are clogged, then it wouldn't matter. those drain holes always seem to be the area that starts to rust out first on the lower quarters and as most might know that the lower wheel wells are generally rusted. i'm sure there are other explanations out there, but if anybody who worked for gm back then, would know why.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:22 AM

if you go to the sean's ultimate web site you can see a 69 conv. on pg.23 with a vent. 71 hdtp pg.9 and 72 hdtp with vents. i have a 72 lemans hdtp.parts car and it has the vents.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:58 AM

My 71 LeMans does not have the vent. Funny thing, I have seen Chevelle & Skylark Convertible with them, so it must be a Pontiac thing.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

All cars have an interior vent in them somewhere. With the doors and trunk sealed there is no possibility of air flow through a vehicle unless windows (or tops on convertibles) allow the interior to breathe. If there is no air flow then incoming air (heater or AC) is not possible as the interior will pressurize (unless on recirculation mode). One trick that techs use to diagnose interior water leaks is to block all the vents with tape, put the HVAC on high blower mode and then use soapy water around every possible seam or seal. Bubbles form like crazy where the air escapes. Don't know why the 1970 converts don't have this vent ... I checked with a couple of 70 vert owners previously ... none of them had vents.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:12 PM

Reply to mike c , i know the quarters have never been replaced on my car for i have the car stripped down to bare metal.
the reason i ask this question is that the body shop i use is restoring a 68 cutlass convert. that has had the quarters replaced. one side has a vent and the other does not.
so after reading the replies to my post i would have to say that converts do not get vents

Old 01-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Converts did not get vents.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:25 AM

My 70 convertible does not have door jamb vents. The 70 hardtop that I used to own in the early 1980's had the vents.

Bob M.
1970 GTO Convertible
Originally: Sierra Yellow/Sandalwood Int/ Sandalwood Top w/ 400 4BBL Auto Trans
Currently: Red/Sandalwood Int/White Top w/ 400 4BBL Manual Trans
Built in Baltimore Plant - 1st week of Nov. 1969
Old 01-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Post cars and wagons probably did not utilize them either, as they still have vent or "wing" windows. They didn't receive GM's Astro-Ventilation system. The dashes on these cars also lack the dash vents. Does your car have these? I believe the ragtops did.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.