Old 04-28-2019, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Charles is correct all the way. Mine in my 66 are also white inside, and metal finish with no paint on the housings seen inside the trunk. As was my 1st 66 GTO.

Just a thought. To clean up the outside you could also try the walnut media. It might be less harmful than the glass, and keep the original texture of the metal.

Chief of the 60's, I don't know about what year Firebirds you believe the housings were gold, inside or out, but it wasn't 67, 68, 69, or 79. The only way they could be gold is overspray from some idiot doing repair work on the rear using gold paint. Or they incorrectly "thought" they should be gold. Some people are either not to bright or don't care. Maybe you should read a body service manual on what is painted what, or not, from the factory.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 04-28-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Are you the original owner? I sold a pair of NOS 1967 GTO housings in Carlisle 2 years ago that looked just like the NOS 1967 Firebird housing I posted. Remember, carburetors did not stay gold either with time.
I am not the original owner, but I have owned the car since 1981.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:43 PM
Senior Chief

Everyone, sorry about taking so long getting back to the thread.

I really appreciate all the pictures and suggestions from everyone, I will probably bead blast (or use walnut shells) the housings then do the chrome for the insides. Looks like another tool to buy! I guess I need a small blasting cabinet anyway.

Old Goat 67: Thanks again for the pictures, your trunk area look fantastic as I'm sure the entire car does. I do have some Spaz Stix, stuff works great. I plan on using it on my instrument cluster panel like Greg did.

I'm hoping to get some help on this trunk area panel replacement while I get the taillight assemblies done.

As someone said in the "Paint Jail" thread, I guess we all will have to learn how to do more and more of the repair/restoration projects ourselves.

-----------------------------------
GTO-The Great One for 1967
Old 05-01-2019, 10:48 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
There was a thread about someone using Eastwood carburetor refinishing paint to make the exterior the gold tone like they were originally and using chrome paint inside.
You got my curiosity piqued. I have searched everything I can and still cannot find the thread. Maybe I'm using the wrong search words. Do you remember anything else about it?

I just want to see the whole thread and see how everything was done. Sounds interesting.

Thanks

GTO-The Great One for 1967