Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-30-2014, 04:07 PM
Senior Chief

Default mega brace or deluxe mega brace

Putting a solid roller in my 462. Its going to spin 6600rpm cam is 284ish at .050 and .645 lift. I'm putting in a lifter bore brace. My question is use a mega brace or the deluxe mega brace that SD sells?

Old 01-30-2014, 04:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Regular mega

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-30-2014, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
Regular mega

Thats what I use

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 01-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Suspended

I searched for this thread and found nothing... Glad someone started this!

I was told the regular mega brace is all that's necessary. However, my OCD is forcing me to spend the extra $100 to fill all 4 openings.

I am running a mild solid roller for now .400 lobe lift & Dur. @ .050 is 265 both in. & ex.
This cam I bought from a PY member a while back, and I plan on upgrading it sooner or later. Point is Jim Butler told me the Deluxe is overkill. If the regular mega brace isn't enough to hold your stock block together an aftermarket block is the only way to go once you reach a certain lift, use 1.65 or more rocker ratio and big duration solid rollers.

My question is why do some builders go to the trouble of filling the lifter valley with epoxy? Is that for oil control with a dry sump?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the one I use. It work great.. Scroll half way down ...

http://www.krepower.com/Pontiac%20Mi...ck%20Parts.htm

Old 01-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Senior Chief

Charlie

I have seen those before. I'm not to big on the idea of drilling holes in the block. I want to go with one like the mega brace

Old 01-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No problem. Just giving you another option...

Good luck...

Old 01-31-2014, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMjr10950 View Post
I searched for this thread and found nothing... Glad someone started this!

I was told the regular mega brace is all that's necessary. However, my OCD is forcing me to spend the extra $100 to fill all 4 openings.

I am running a mild solid roller for now .400 lobe lift & Dur. @ .050 is 265 both in. & ex.
This cam I bought from a PY member a while back, and I plan on upgrading it sooner or later. Point is Jim Butler told me the Deluxe is overkill. If the regular mega brace isn't enough to hold your stock block together an aftermarket block is the only way to go once you reach a certain lift, use 1.65 or more rocker ratio and big duration solid rollers.

My question is why do some builders go to the trouble of filling the lifter valley with epoxy? Is that for oil control with a dry sump?
I would guess oil control... but I've seen a few builds that used the epoxy fill as the lifter brace and other builds that "glued" the "super megabrace" in place. They were not dry sump BTW... they provided for oil return paths that minimized windage. I like the latter idea of gluing brace and filling valley myself. Bolt in braces seem like they would act like a log splitter IMO.

Last edited by BruceWilkie; 01-31-2014 at 11:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BruceWilkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2014, 11:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Never heard of, or seen a block fail from the KRE style lifter bore brace. Or even a lifter bore failure.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:26 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
I would guess oil control... but I've seen a few builds that used the epoxy fill as the lifter brace and other builds that "glued" the "super megabrace" in place. They were not dry sump BTW... they provided for oil return paths that minimized windage. I like the latter idea of gluing brace and filling valley myself. Bolt in braces seem like they would act like a log splitter IMO.

So you are saying that some builders put in the mega brace with epoxy and then epoxy over the whole lifter area? Do you have any links to pictures or articles showing this?

Old 01-31-2014, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Pit View Post
Never heard of, or seen a block fail from the KRE style lifter bore brace. Or even a lifter bore failure.
I have. It broke at 7500 rpm. About 750-775 hp.

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:37 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by frbformula View Post
So you are saying that some builders put in the mega brace with epoxy and then epoxy over the whole lifter area? Do you have any links to pictures or articles showing this?
The first pic is the Deluxe Mega Brace with epoxy filling in all the gaps. I see an oil return hole in the rear and obviously the bronze lifter bushings.

The second pic is a members motor which was for sale and he used a lifter bore brace designed and built by another member here. Forgive me for not knowing & remembering names. I don't think this brace is available any longer. The last time I spoke to the gentleman, he was making one last batch and if I didn't order mine then, that was it. (I was trying to juggle money and buy an IA2 so I passed)

The third pic, well everybody knows I think who built this... I was looking to see if John said why he did that extra work and didn't find anything... Not sure if it's so obvious that he didn't explain, or top secret?

I personally like what the builder did in pic one, despite whether or not it's necessary for my application... Wish there was more info, pics and an explanation of how he kept the epoxy from dripping onto the floor, cardboard I'm guessing? Then just peel it away and trim? Is it epoxy or JB? Looks like JB from the color IMHO.

Now I feel kinda creepy, even though when I saved the pics it didn't seem weird...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpeg
Views:	353
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	351403   Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment-17.jpeg
Views:	340
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	351404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0504-1.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	351405  

Last edited by WAMjr10950; 01-31-2014 at 12:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WAMjr10950 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2014, 12:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Overkill.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:54 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
Overkill.

Oh yeah! ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!!

For me, I am waiting to go back to school in the fall and going to the beach, pool, bars etc... does get old too... I like tinkering with the car while waiting for other parts or extra cash.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike leech View Post
I have. It broke at 7500 rpm. About 750-775 hp.
Lifter bore?

Old 01-31-2014, 06:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A friend of mine had two 455 blocks break a lifter bore. They both had the KRE brace. He is now having a new shortblock built with an MR1 block. Some guys say they are just a band aid, won't keep your mains from cracking.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had my KRE brace in for 4 years and rpm it all the time to 7400, and spray it .

I doubt this brace would cause breakage.. I drilled mine front and back too....

Old 01-31-2014, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLANK1 View Post
A friend of mine had two 455 blocks break a lifter bore. They both had the KRE brace. He is now having a new shortblock built with an MR1 block. Some guys say they are just a band aid, won't keep your mains from cracking.
here is a modified kre brace I did sometime ago. I can see in stock form where the kre brace could blow out in stock form since they only provide some support toward the middle of the lifter bore. One cannot see it but every individual brace was ground so that it rests against the bottom of the lifter bore (where a crack would form). The strap that goes from front to back was welded to the individual brace (fingers) then the set screws were chunked. Breather holed were drilled thru the set screw holes. A tab was welded to the front of the strap, a hole was drilled thru on the front tab and block. The block was tapped so the front and back were secured by machine screws. I used spar zone epoxy to fill in...JB weld is junk. I enlarged the 2 drain holes and ground 2 more into the block.
Motor was ran a season and a half on dirt and in my street car now. 700+hp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lifter bore brace.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	351429  

The Following User Says Thank You to J.C.you For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2014, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My KRE brace has been in for 5 years and everything is still looking good.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Probird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.you View Post
here is a modified kre brace I did sometime ago. I can see in stock form where the kre brace could blow out in stock form since they only provide some support toward the middle of the lifter bore. One cannot see it but every individual brace was ground so that it rests against the bottom of the lifter bore (where a crack would form). The strap that goes from front to back was welded to the individual brace (fingers) then the set screws were chunked. Breather holed were drilled thru the set screw holes. A tab was welded to the front of the strap, a hole was drilled thru on the front tab and block. The block was tapped so the front and back were secured by machine screws. I used spar zone epoxy to fill in...JB weld is junk. I enlarged the 2 drain holes and ground 2 more into the block.
Motor was ran a season and a half on dirt and in my street car now. 700+hp.
I'm told my motor should make just over 700 now but I think that's optimistic and will be happy as long as it breaks 650. Anyway, if I can overbuild something regardless if it's overkill or unnecessary in most people's opinion, I usually will! (Damn OCD!) LOL!

Overkill or not I personally really like the looks of your setup. NICE JOB! I still intend to use the Deluxe Mega Brace but now I think I will use that product you mentioned as opposed to the JB. Any chance you have additional pics of that? Or maybe I could PM you for details about how you got the epoxy so neatly spread. Is the red color Glyptal?

Thanks!