Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-17-2022, 05:34 PM

Default 64-67 Rear Diff ?

About everyone here knows in Canada in the 60's Pontiacs had Chevy drivetrains. True BOP Rears can be hard to find at times especially for A Bodies. The question is, i have a 67 Chevy 8.2 10 Bolt rear out of a Beaumont that has the same brake flange to flange distance as my 65 GTO. Is this a straight across swap for the original rear or is there alot of mods involved? The 67 rear has coil spring perches as well as the control bar mounts as the 65 rear.

Old 08-17-2022, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Up to 66 the springs bolted down if I am not mistaken. After that I think they just floated. Just make sure you order the proper springs and it is a direct swap. I may have that backwards so if I am wrong someone else please chime in.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. One other question though. Will all the extras for the brakes fit such as the backing plates and flange plates? Also can I get rid of the hideous gear housing cover and use the factory style Pontiac cover or is the chevy one the only one that will work?

Old 08-18-2022, 02:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran a '69 Chevy 10-bolt posi rearend under my mild street 67 GTO for many years and it was still going strong when I pulled it out and finally installed the proper BOP 10-bolt just before I sold the car. Only difference where the brake parts don't interchange is the center hole on the Chevy backing plate is about an eighth inch smaller in diameter so they won't fit on the BOP, and while I didn't try it pretty sure the BOP backing plates would bolt up to the Chevy. Spring mounts and shock mounts were exactly in the same place. The Chevy cover is necessary since the built in troughs drain gear oil down to cast in holes that supply extra lubrication for the bearings (including the outboard bearings that run on the axle and lubricated by the gear oil. Pontiac outer bearings are sealed and don't use gear lube.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the feed back. I will use the rear if I decide to go that way then. My GTO has the base 3:23 rear in it now and the Chev rear hase 3:73's. I have all winter to decide I just wanted to know if it can be done reasonably and if not it gives me time to get rid of the rear before the snow flies. Again Thanks for the help.