Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-09-2017, 08:48 PM

Default Whats your input on these plugs

I change plugs every year regardless of how few miles. At any rate I contacted NGK for their input. They said with my setup. 488 with ported edelbrocks a xr 288 cam n 10.6:1 comp. The iridium plug BKR6EIX in a 6 heat range is the plug to use. They replaced the NGK V Power 5672 A in a 8 heat range which I had usually used. They felt the 8 heat range was a little on the cold side and recommend a 6. (No nitrous on motor) At any rate the old plugs I pulled seemed to have a decent color to them. I installed the new plugs and drove it 20 miles. Pulled a plug and they were white. I have since went up 3 jet sizes and the plugs are still white. Not sure if I should keep going up on jets. Put a cooler 7 heat range plug in . Or just go back to a new set of my old plug style. The car does seem to run smoother . Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170509_201322232.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	454202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170509_203110162.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	454203  

Old 05-09-2017, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let the engine tell you what it wants. If the old plugs were happy, why switch?

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 05-09-2017, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unleaded fuel doesn't color plugs like ancient leaded fuel.

Modern fuel additives may put a green or orange tint on plugs...after ten thousand miles or more.

Yank the plugs out of any feedback fuel injected engine after ten thousand miles, and they'll still be remarkably white--and yet the O2 sensor is assuring the fuel curve is reasonably close.

Plug color means nothing.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks a little rich maybe, can't see the strap that well for the heat range.

Try this page:

Spark Plug Reading

Mainly for racing, but gives you an idea of what may be needed?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was looking at the strap for heat range also hard to tell.I pull and look at plugs all the time.I also run hotter plugs for street driving and colder plugs at the track.For street driving I like seeing a clean plug.At the track with a fresh clean plug you can see the heat range/ witness mark and see the base soot up after a full throttle pass..then one can make jetting adjustments..

More often then not just copy what others are using for heat range for plugs...I've never liked those little iridium centers.

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471

Last edited by ta man; 05-09-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Straps look like plugs are a little hotter than they should be, and the soot on some of the ring looks like a little too rich.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
I was looking at the strap for heat range also hard to tell.I pull and look at plugs all the time.I also run hotter plugs for street driving and colder plugs at the track.For street driving I like seeing a clean plug.At the track with a fresh clean plug you can see the heat range/ witness mark and see the base soot up after a full throttle pass..then one can make jetting adjustments..

More often then not just copy what others are using for heat range for plugs...I've never liked those little iridium centers.
I've seen some plugs with the little centers burn off all the way down to the porcelain. Then the porcelain starts breaking off in chunks when the center is burning off inside the porcelain. This is high mile stuff, mind you....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 05-10-2017, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As Lust4rspeed posted the color change over point on most of the plugs is too far up near the plugs threads, as in too hot a plug, especially if these may have little full throttle time on them!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 05-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdaniel View Post
The iridium plug BKR6EIX in a 6
Snake oil for dinosaurs.

I seriously doubt there is a ngk listing for your exact combo. Only a generic listing for cid and year.

If its not broken, dont fix it.

--

Last edited by Blued and Painted; 05-10-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh yeah, don't fix it , let the the plug over heat at full throttle and high rev's and cause detonation!
Just great advice there!

Maybe like your signature states, that's why you have superslowjunk!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 05-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agreed. The new plugs are too hot, and they're burning off all the deposits so you don't see anything on the porcelain. By the time you jet for color, you're almost pig rich and down on power.

Jetting is judged by the fuel ring left at the base of the porcelain where it meets the body. You've got to cut the threads off to see that. I see on one plug where it is too rich because you jetted it up or it idled before you pulled the plugs.

The heat is too far up the ground strap. The plug is marginally too hot. Those fine wire plugs are great.... for an LS that goes 100K between plug changes. And even some LS guys are using copper plugs in high HP motors, because that fine center electrode will glow like rudolph's freaking nose. I built a hot 5.3 LS for my Silvy, and I run the NGK TR55s, which is a copper plug. I just change them more often.

Put a new set of the -8s back in it and check jetting. I'd rather run a plug slightly cold than slightly too hot.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25