THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Exclamation It must be Spring...

Every Spring Gilroy has 3-4 mountain lion sightings as young toms (who now have to stake out their own territory) roam around. I'm glad they didn't sight it; those sightings usually end in tragedy as the cat either trees, is shot with a tranquilizer gun and subsequently dies, or attacks when cornered and is shot to death.

All part of living in the Golden State. Cool, aren't they?

Mountain lion sighted in Gilroy
Search nets no results, residents reminded of safety precautions

A mountain lion was sighted in the creek area adjacent to to the ranch side of Christmas Hill Park on May 9. (this is less than a mile from our home)

Gilroy Police Department is reminding residents to stay safe following a mountain lion sighting today, May 9.

A mountain lion was sighted in the creek area adjacent to to the ranch side of Christmas Hill Park at 12:17 p.m., a reporting party told police. Despite a thorough search of the area, the mountain lion was never found, police said.
The south valley sighting is the latest in a flurry of big cat sighting buzz trickling throughout the greater Bay Area centered around the capture of one of the wild animals in the City of Mountain View.

Police and Gilroy city staff responded to the area to alert people in the vicinity of the park. Immediate area schools were also notified, police said.
Police are reminding the community that this general area is in close proximity to mountain lion habitat.

Police offered the following advice about avoiding or responding to mountain lion interaction:
• Do not hike alone: Go in groups, with adults supervising children.
• Keep children close to you: Observations of captured wild mountain lions reveal that the animals seem especially drawn to children. Keep children within your sight at all times.
• Do not approach a lion: Most mountain lions will try to avoid a confrontation. Give them a way to escape.
• Do not run from a lion: Running may stimulate a mountain lion’s instinct to chase. Instead, stand and face the animal. Make eye contact. If you have small children with you, pick them up if possible so they do not panic and run. Although it may be awkward, pick them up without bending over or turning away from the mountain lion.
• Do not crouch down or bend over: In Nepal, a researcher studying tigers and leopards watched the big cats kill cattle and domestic water buffalo while ignoring humans standing nearby. He surmised that a human standing up is just not the right shape for a cat’s prey. On the other hand, a person squatting or bending over looks a lot like a four-legged prey animal. If you are in mountain lion country, avoid squatting, crouching or bending over, even when picking up children.
• Do all you can to appear larger: Raise your arms, open your jacket if you are wearing one. Again, pick up small children. Throw stones, branches, or whatever you can reach without crouching or turning your back. Wave your arms slowly and speak firmly in a loud voice. The idea is to convince the mountain lion that you are not prey and that you may be a danger to it.
• Fight back if attacked: A hiker in Southern California used a rock to fend off a mountain lion that was attacking his son. Others have fought back successfully with sticks, caps, jackets, garden tools and their bare hands. Since a mountain lion usually tries to bite the head or neck, try to remain standing and face the attacking animal.

Please report all sightings and encounters to the Gilroy Police Department immediately at (408)846-0350 or California Department of Fish and Game at (831) 649-2070.
For any media inquiries please call (408) 846-0367.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the tips. Also don't pull up to the hiking trail in your GTO, they may not understand:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70purple01tigertail.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	363152  

TOM
Old 05-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Twice in the last week I've seen a large feline near my house. Both sightings were about a 1/2 mile apart and the cat showed the exact same behavior- walking along the edge of the road and when it saw me approaching in my truck it ran up into the woods, but paused to look back at me as I stopped to observe.

I should say that bobcats are not unusual around here and I've seen several over the years. This cat ( I assume it was the same one) was about the size of a bobcat but with a longer tail, his coloring and facial appearance looked more like a mountain lion than bobcat. The official line from the CT DEP is that there are no mountain lions in the state, despite many reports and even one being hit and killed on the Merritt Parkway a couple of years ago.

Not sure what I saw- a juvenile mountain lion or an atypical bobcat. I just wish I had a decent camera with me, as he paused long enough I could have gotten a shot.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 05-12-2014, 12:18 AM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
It must be Spring...
It must be the Garlic Fumes...

Old 05-12-2014, 06:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
Twice in the last week I've seen a large feline near my house. Both sightings were about a 1/2 mile apart and the cat showed the exact same behavior- walking along the edge of the road and when it saw me approaching in my truck it ran up into the woods, but paused to look back at me as I stopped to observe.

I should say that bobcats are not unusual around here and I've seen several over the years. This cat ( I assume it was the same one) was about the size of a bobcat but with a longer tail, his coloring and facial appearance looked more like a mountain lion than bobcat. The official line from the CT DEP is that there are no mountain lions in the state, despite many reports and even one being hit and killed on the Merritt Parkway a couple of years ago.

Not sure what I saw- a juvenile mountain lion or an atypical bobcat. I just wish I had a decent camera with me, as he paused long enough I could have gotten a shot.
Oh boy! Let Fletcher take care of it!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-12-2014, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is one big cat!

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post

I've posted before in one of the other PY "Big Cat" threads , as told to me by a US F& W employee: the numbers of big cats in captivity in the US would surprise people.
Its been virtually un-regulated "forever", and to put it in perspective: about every County/Parish in the US has at least one exotic/big cat living in its border.

They escape or get turned out....or the sightings could really be some that have migrated East, DNA confirmed last few years in other states.... but I think the big question is about the Eastern Cougar , not being extinct...anyway, a big debate.

Another Newtown, CT resident saw "something", and took a pic;

http://newtown.patch.com/groups/arou...lion-or-bobcat

Some other sightings posted last few years on Old MIll Rd and Newtown Pond....CT Mountain Lion site.....

Last edited by JLHarper; 05-12-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One time I went to drop off my water bill at one of their offices and as I'm dropping the envelope in the slot I seen a "cat" about 10' from me staring and I think Holy cow that's a big cat. Then it dawns on me that it has a stubby tail...it was between me and the car. It just walked away like it wasn't afraid of me.
One time I went to a guys house to buy parts and he invites me in and as I enter his living room I see a full grown Mountain Lion! Thank God it was a stuffed one, almost marked my laundry. ;-)

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge