Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-31-2003, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There was another Clash of the Titans race this last weekend at San Antonio Raceway. It includes some of the fastest street cars around.

We had six cars from our group at Punisher Automotive. Three entered in the True 10.5-inch class, one in the True Street/11-second bracket class and two of us entered in the Cheap Street class. All racing is heads up on a pro tree.

Proud to report that Brad Dinkel from our group won the True 10.5-inch class with his best time of 8.55 at 157 mph in his small block Mustang.
He won against Chad Smallwood in the finals and Randy David in the Semis, both from our group and running Mustangs.
Greg Wright from the group did well in True Street/11-second bracket, he went to the semi's in his '55 Chevy.

That leaves my good friend Darrin Kaiser from the group with his '70 Nova and my Trans Am in the Cheap Street class. Happy to report that my car won second place with Greg at the helm. In the final round we were up against a '69 Camero that had just run a 9.55 in the prior round and my car that had just run a 9.59 against Darrin's 9.61 et.
We got luckey because Darrin had a problem with his car, he had run a prior 9.44 with a 1.31 60-ft! The Camero beat us in the final with a 9.48 against our 9.66 dispite Greg cutting a .427 light on the tree. The Camero may have been sand bagging because the timeslip shows he ran a 6.02 at 114.6 in the 8th mile which would make him close to a 8-second car! In this piticular class you can't run faster than a 9-flat. Oh well, we had fun and my car ran it's best time to date with the 9.59 ET.

Usually I'm the only one that runs a Pontiac at these events but it's nice to report that this time there were three other Pontiacs beside my car. One of them was Dave Combs (9SecBottleFedBird) that on occasions posts here on the PY board. Unfortunatly for Dave he was having a problem with his front brakes locking up and couldn't make it to the finals. Lucky for us because he was entered in the Cheap Street class as well and would have been a big contender with nitrous, he reportably made a low 10-second run 'on the motor' the prior Friday night.
Tom Tinimin (sp?) and his Son Steve from Austin with their Rock-and-Roll Engineering powered car ran the 11-second braket in the True Street class. Not sure how they ended up but he was facing a problem of going too fast for the bracket as he ran a 10.80-something during qualifing. He was going to try short shifting to stay within the required 11 second bracket.
The fourth Pontiac was a beatuful light blue TA entered in the 12 second bracket/True Street class but he was unknown to me.
Glad to see the Pontiacs coming out for these events.... you fellows that live in the Houston area look fot the Clash of the Titans event that will run at the Houston track. This heads up racing is really more exciting than bracket racing and they have a class for almost everyone.
Check it out at http://www.theClashoftheTitans.com

'Damn right it's a street car'

[This message was edited by Steve Coombes on March 31, 2003 at 01:02 PM.]

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 03-31-2003, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There was another Clash of the Titans race this last weekend at San Antonio Raceway. It includes some of the fastest street cars around.

We had six cars from our group at Punisher Automotive. Three entered in the True 10.5-inch class, one in the True Street/11-second bracket class and two of us entered in the Cheap Street class. All racing is heads up on a pro tree.

Proud to report that Brad Dinkel from our group won the True 10.5-inch class with his best time of 8.55 at 157 mph in his small block Mustang.
He won against Chad Smallwood in the finals and Randy David in the Semis, both from our group and running Mustangs.
Greg Wright from the group did well in True Street/11-second bracket, he went to the semi's in his '55 Chevy.

That leaves my good friend Darrin Kaiser from the group with his '70 Nova and my Trans Am in the Cheap Street class. Happy to report that my car won second place with Greg at the helm. In the final round we were up against a '69 Camero that had just run a 9.55 in the prior round and my car that had just run a 9.59 against Darrin's 9.61 et.
We got luckey because Darrin had a problem with his car, he had run a prior 9.44 with a 1.31 60-ft! The Camero beat us in the final with a 9.48 against our 9.66 dispite Greg cutting a .427 light on the tree. The Camero may have been sand bagging because the timeslip shows he ran a 6.02 at 114.6 in the 8th mile which would make him close to a 8-second car! In this piticular class you can't run faster than a 9-flat. Oh well, we had fun and my car ran it's best time to date with the 9.59 ET.

Usually I'm the only one that runs a Pontiac at these events but it's nice to report that this time there were three other Pontiacs beside my car. One of them was Dave Combs (9SecBottleFedBird) that on occasions posts here on the PY board. Unfortunatly for Dave he was having a problem with his front brakes locking up and couldn't make it to the finals. Lucky for us because he was entered in the Cheap Street class as well and would have been a big contender with nitrous, he reportably made a low 10-second run 'on the motor' the prior Friday night.
Tom Tinimin (sp?) and his Son Steve from Austin with their Rock-and-Roll Engineering powered car ran the 11-second braket in the True Street class. Not sure how they ended up but he was facing a problem of going too fast for the bracket as he ran a 10.80-something during qualifing. He was going to try short shifting to stay within the required 11 second bracket.
The fourth Pontiac was a beatuful light blue TA entered in the 12 second bracket/True Street class but he was unknown to me.
Glad to see the Pontiacs coming out for these events.... you fellows that live in the Houston area look fot the Clash of the Titans event that will run at the Houston track. This heads up racing is really more exciting than bracket racing and they have a class for almost everyone.
Check it out at http://www.theClashoftheTitans.com

'Damn right it's a street car'

[This message was edited by Steve Coombes on March 31, 2003 at 01:02 PM.]

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 03-31-2003, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations, Steve. We don't get to see much of that caliber racing here in Little Rock. You guys are a cut above and should be proud. I'm glad to see you and the others carrying the banner for our Pontiacs. Great job.

Can I do some bragging? Our club (Arkansas Pontiac Association) had a race day at our local 1000 foot track. I set a personal best with a 10.492 which converts to a 12.55 in the quarter mile. It's nothing like your achievment but I was pretty excited. Sounds like it was a good weekend for Pontiac racing everywhere.

[This message was edited by critter on March 31, 2003 at 01:39 PM.]

[This message was edited by critter on March 31, 2003 at 01:40 PM.]

Old 03-31-2003, 12:10 PM
Senior Chief

Yea Good Job to ALL! That blue firebird was clean, unfortunately it had a BBC, but still a nice car!

Old 03-31-2003, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the mention Steve. You guys did a great job! Wish we could have fixed the brake problem. I am going to post a question about it and see if anyone has any thoughts.
My car has been an ongoing problem but got right for once!
Went 10.08@132 on the motor with a 1.45 60ft off a footbrake launch! The Coan Conv. and Cal-Tracs were a HUGE leap from the SSM bars and the 10inch TCI conv.!
Hope to see you guys at a track again soon. I may try and get to Houston to run the Clash in June.
Dave

Old 03-31-2003, 08:49 PM

Thanks Steve. Its Tinsman. Stephen went out first round. Ran 11.05 let off twice lost by 0.016 margin. Had .844 light second time ever on pro tree. Only had one time trial, not happy about that.