Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-07-2003, 01:03 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to Robert Imhof Send a message via MSN to Robert Imhof

I dont know if this was asked before and if it should be in the suspension section but im asking it here anyways. My question is: Why is it so much better to run a four link set up then a ladder bar? For example, in most NSCA and other heads up racing organizations it would allow a coil over ladder bar rear suspension but not a four link. Why? Whats the advantages of a four link over a ladder bar? I heard that if both are set up right there is no traction advantage for the four link except for ease and quick adjustments to track conditions. Is that the only factor that makes the four link more advantageous over the ladder bars or are there others? Im asking this not only because of the NSCA but also because I read someone write how people dont know how to get into the eights on a stock suspension without it being tubbed or a four link set up.

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Old 02-07-2003, 01:03 AM
Senior Chief

I dont know if this was asked before and if it should be in the suspension section but im asking it here anyways. My question is: Why is it so much better to run a four link set up then a ladder bar? For example, in most NSCA and other heads up racing organizations it would allow a coil over ladder bar rear suspension but not a four link. Why? Whats the advantages of a four link over a ladder bar? I heard that if both are set up right there is no traction advantage for the four link except for ease and quick adjustments to track conditions. Is that the only factor that makes the four link more advantageous over the ladder bars or are there others? Im asking this not only because of the NSCA but also because I read someone write how people dont know how to get into the eights on a stock suspension without it being tubbed or a four link set up.

Old 02-07-2003, 06:34 AM
On Vacation

You're assumptions are correct. When you race in a tight class, the advantage difference becomes huge.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Old 02-07-2003, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ditto. Bruce.

Can't run 8's Untubbed with Stock Suspension.

Better check the Radial tire class of NSCA and the Orlando Streetcar Shootout.

Build it fast, build it right, build a Pontiac.

http://PontiacDude.cc

Old 02-07-2003, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For one thing,a ladder bar setup will fit under the car without tubbing,or cutting the floor.
A 4-link will require the floor to be cut.(A properly set up 4-link)

Seems to me most of these classes want original frame rails/floors so they don't allow 4-links.

johnta1
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
www.wallaceracing.com

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-07-2003, 09:08 AM
On Vacation

Most ladder bars will fit without cutting anything.

I know of at least on Mopar in RI that has a properly set up four link and still retains his back seat...... Procharged, in the low 9's, drag radials, street driven.

I find the "original frame rail/floor" rules sketchy at best, as original frame rails don't have ladder bar cross memebers welded to them. Nor do subframe connectors exist on original cars. But, I guess that's a technicality.

Old 02-07-2003, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You may find the link listed below helpful about this topic.

Suspensions

with out questions there can be no answers

1969 Grand Prix
9.947@133.53(1.358)
6.246@107.91(1.342)
WARPed Tepee Forums
alex@pontiacgroup.com

Old 02-07-2003, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I have seen, (my buddy build NMCA chassis) to make a ladder work properly, the bars need to be long enough to provide the proper IC. This means the front mount of the bar generally needs to be near the rear seat area, on an A body car. This requires cutting of the floor for the front mount. If done properly, it can be patched, sectioned and painted to look almost stock. Once the carpet is installed you would never know.

Additionally, biggest difference……..price!

Check installed prices between the two, you'll see what I'm talking about.

tempest455

Old 02-07-2003, 11:08 AM
On Vacation

That depends on the wheel base of the vehicle. There are two (generally) different legths of ladder bars, which are for long or short wheel bases.

Old 02-07-2003, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's why I pointed out an "A" body as a typical example. Yes, the WB has an effect. The car I was referring to is a '65 Chevelle.

tempest455

Old 02-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PONTIAC DUDE:
Ditto. Bruce.

Can't run 8's Untubbed with Stock Suspension.

Better check the Radial tire class of NSCA and the Orlando Streetcar Shootout.

Build it fast, build it right, build a Pontiac.

http://PontiacDude.cc<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didnt intend to say it couldnt be done but on the other hand to question the statement that people do not know how hard it is to run with a "stock suspension" in the eights without 32/14's or a four link set up. So judging by responces made it seems that is should be relatively the same difficulty to get a car running the ladder bars into the eights as it would a four link set up as long as the person doing the chassis set up knows what they are doing when setting up the ladder bars.