Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-30-2023, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, more than likely snappier. You'll probably have to go back and revisit some of the fueling. Typically can make the carb a pinch leaner.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 05-31-2023, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGTO View Post
Might even need to consider another distributor to add the vacuum advance later if it works well.
Maybe consider one of the two distributors that Progression Ignition offers. Been using one for nearly a year now, with great results. Change ignition timing in seconds without leaving the driver seat.
https://progressionignition.com/prod...gories/pontiac

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 05-31-2023, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
Maybe consider one of the two distributors that Progression Ignition offers. Been using one for nearly a year now, with great results. Change ignition timing in seconds without leaving the driver seat.
https://progressionignition.com/prod...gories/pontiac
That would be interesting to try, wonder if it's compatible with my MSD digital box. Of course I have like 5 (forgot I have a dual sync) distributors already haha.

6.0 cert. Fiat bodied altered blown alcohol Pontiac IAII-Sold
Old 05-31-2023, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Or, since you like your MSD box, upgrade it to the new 6AL2, lock your current distributor, and have the same electronic control of your timing, all done with a laptop.

I looked into those progression distributors and there were a couple things that steered me away. Correct me if this has changed Singleton because I haven't looked at them in a while.

You can only change timing with your cell phone. No USB cable or any way to hook up a laptop.

At the time they weren't compatible with factory tachometers so that was a big problem since all my cars run an OEM tach.

Don't remember if they were even compatible with any type of CD box.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can only change timing with a cell phone. What could go wrong ?
Talk about taking something simple and adding all sorts of steps over complicating it.
Kind of like some modern cars with all sorts of fail points.

Old 05-31-2023, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Can only change timing with a cell phone. What could go wrong ?
Talk about taking something simple and adding all sorts of steps over complicating it.
Kind of like some modern cars with all sorts of fail points.
Yeah, the cell phone thing didn't thrill me. Not to mention trying to read a timing graph on a little cell phone? Geez I'd have to get a magnifying glass, then fat finger everything I touch, lol. Plus I'm not much of a cell phone guy, I mean, it rings I answer it and I make calls. That's about all I care to use it for.

It's the big reason why I sent back the Compushift 4L80E controller and swapped it for the USshift. The Compushift only works with a cell phone and has no way to plug in a laptop.

Old 05-31-2023, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I already use my cell phone for too many things. Not opposed to using a laptop, and you could probably fine tune the timing curve even better, ideally its nice to keep it simple. One of the reasons I haven't gone EFI (yet). Funny, now when people compliment me on the car the first thing they ask..."does it still have a carb?" Yep.

Old 06-01-2023, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was hesitant to mention Progression Ignition, knowing how most any new tech gets poopooed around here.
I’m very old school myself, still run carbs, even 4-wheel drum brakes. Been into Pontiacs for 40+ years. But, to me at least, this new distributor is a game changer. Allowing me to make changes over the full rpm spectrum and see the timing changes in real time, without opening the hood.
Also the anti-theft ability to lock the ignition while away from the car, the rev limiter, built-in vacuum gauge, speedometer and tach, etc.
It works with Tablets as well as smart phones. And once the initial tune is setup, you don’t need to have a phone with you from that point on, meaning that the distributor will work without a phone. It’s only used to make changes and used if you want to see the gauges will driving, or to disable it for theft. I set my phone up near the dash while driving to monitor the gauges.
As far as failure, my feeling is that it is no more a concern than any other electronic distributor, stock hei, msd, pertronix etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7996.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	613519   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7995.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	613520  

Old 06-01-2023, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Singleton.

Failure was never a concern, least not with me. This stuff is no different than any other electronic device. It's hot rodding, you just roll the dice and go. Some of it works, some times it doesn't.

Yeah the new tech is frequently frowned upon, but I agree electronic timing control is a real game changer and anyone that has fooled with it enough would agree there are benefits over the mechanical stuff.

My preference is to just be hard wired in with a laptop, nice big screen for my old eyes to see Plus I use it for all my other Holley and Quick 4 tuning so it just makes sense to keep it all on the laptop. After that, I really don't care what brand it is if it does what I want it to do.

Old 06-01-2023, 02:34 PM
Senior Chief

That progression ignition uses bluetooth so tablet with a decent size screen will connect as well.

Although I am really tempted what keeps me from buying one is in 10 years can you still:

Download their app you need to program it from Apple or Playstore on what is then your phone, tablet?
Will your then 10 year old bluetooth 4 /5 compatible distributor work with whatever will be available for bluetooth?
What if some awesome investment firm buys prog. Ignition and suddenly that app comes at a £5 monthly fee.

My phones and tabs don't last that long (my fault) but I've owned my GTO since 2008 or 9, so something that will work (remain supported) for a long time is important to me.

Its not the technology that bugs me, it looks great. I might even buy one as I have wasted more money on less useful things, I just wont expect it to last though.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Honestly, if I get 10 years out of it I’d be fine with that. In the meantime I’m trying out all sorts of different timing curves and settings at both wide open throttle and at cruise rpms, really learning a lot of information that I could then apply to a “regular” distributor if need be.
I can’t imagine how many times I would have had to physically remove the distributor, make changes and reinstall to replicate the results I have seen with the progressive.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brengun View Post
That progression ignition uses bluetooth so tablet with a decent size screen will connect as well.

Although I am really tempted what keeps me from buying one is in 10 years can you still:

Download their app you need to program it from Apple or Playstore on what is then your phone, tablet?
Will your then 10 year old bluetooth 4 /5 compatible distributor work with whatever will be available for bluetooth?
What if some awesome investment firm buys prog. Ignition and suddenly that app comes at a £5 monthly fee.

My phones and tabs don't last that long (my fault) but I've owned my GTO since 2008 or 9, so something that will work (remain supported) for a long time is important to me.

Its not the technology that bugs me, it looks great. I might even buy one as I have wasted more money on less useful things, I just wont expect it to last though.
Wireless standards are almost certainly going to be backward-compatible. And you can always just keep your old device as a backup plan, they can't charge you a subscription for an old version of the app.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it is really cool to have some feedback from a couple people who have "ponied up" significant bucks to put this system on their car. Also think it is really cool that they took the time to put this electronics package in a Pontiac distributor. (That runs backwards), not that that matters in an electronic unit. The system has been out at least a couple years and I have yet to hear anything negative about it other than the typical grumbling of the buy in. For those Pontiac people who drive their cars daily, there could be a real gas mileage advantage once the optimal curve is worked out. It seems nearly impossible that a mechanical/vacuum advance distributor could match the efficiency that could be programmed into a computerized RPM/load map this system offers. I am happy to hear some Pontiac folks are running it with success.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would have to agree, any new tech that comes to market for a Pontiac engine is certainly a win.

This thread has been a reminder for me about the benefits of focusing on the timing curve. I've read a little of what some of the modern tuners are able to achieve in fine tuning a curve with a laptop, certainly has advantages.

Old 06-01-2023, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Absolutely. Back when I was tuning LS engines the timing curve was a huge player in finding power and drivability, even on stockish builds. The minor adjustments you can make in specific cells is worlds ahead of any mechanical distributor.

I do like the dummied down version of things, there is nothing wrong with simplicity, but electronic control of timing, and even fuel, is pretty damn cool what you can do with it.

Old 06-01-2023, 10:30 PM
Senior Chief

A lot of folks bringing up the price of the progression ignition distributor. It’s like $569. An MSD 6AL-2 and a Pro billet distributor are gonna run about $840. But, you’re still stuck with blue tooth connectivity with the progression setup. I don’t know if that’s really a problem, though.

Are these setups all made in China stuff?

Old 06-02-2023, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think most all this stuff is made over seas now. MSD used to be made in Texas years ago but pretty sure even that is outsourced now. All this electronic stuff is just hit and miss. I've even had it not work right out of the box. Sometimes it waits till I'm far from home and quits, and sometimes it works perfectly fine for decades.
Only good ignition system I'm aware that isnt china is more commonly seen on high end high HP stuff and that's ICE from Australia. It's also expensive compared to the china stuff.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by promptcritical View Post
A lot of folks bringing up the price of the progression ignition distributor. It’s like $569. An MSD 6AL-2 and a Pro billet distributor are gonna run about $840. But, you’re still stuck with blue tooth connectivity with the progression setup. I don’t know if that’s really a problem, though.

Are these setups all made in China stuff?
Progression is made in the USA..not sure where the parts are from. Another added feature is the melonized gear.

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 06-02-2023, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brengun View Post

The timing is adjusted with bluetooth. Once its programmed your last program stays as the "tune". I love mine..its great at the track to bump up a degree or down a degree to test..without opening the hood and adjusting exactly a degree. Street driving is the same having the fine control can give each engine and combo perfect timing easily but a user must still know the basics.

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471

Last edited by ta man; 06-02-2023 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've heard nothing but good reports and reviews with the Progressive Ignition stuff.

i still wouldn't use one here, simply due to poor history with every single bug zapping aftermarket part I've ever tried or tested dating clear back to the 1970's.

Pertronix used to be rock solid, but recently nothing but failures and other issues with them . MSD has always been about the same, they work very well, for a while. The Crane XRI's were pretty rock solid, the Mallory modules and such not quite as reliable.

Most work fine, right up until they take a dump, then you look up and SOB you're not sitting in front of Jegs or Summit racing so you're either thumbing for a ride or calling for a roll-back!........FWIW......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),