Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-28-2024, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Taming the tiger. Performance motor to street motor

With the warmer weather lately, I'm again exploring my options for taking this motor and toning it down because it's a freaking ridiculous engine for our cream puff LeMans. Importantly, we were not aware of the challenges presented when attempting to install an engine with round port heads into a '67 chassis.
Here's what happened:
-We were dying for an engine to put into the LeMans. The one that came in the car we affectionately called "Ol Lumpy".
-We had an aquaintance that had this motor. It was in his '69 GTO and we heard it run. We knew that he had spent some serious money having a shop build him this engine.
-We bought it for about US3000.00.
-I found out shortly after that screwing around with the exhaust to make it happen in the '67 engine bay is just not worth it. Do-able, yes. But... Plus, we needed a more pedestrian engine anyway.
-Eventually, I decided to just sell it. But another challenge: It's a 557 block. Not much interest. So i figured screw it, just keep it.
I'll just drop some pics here, and then I'll add some details about the short block, all the specs, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4300.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	632783   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4301.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	632784   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4303.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	632785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4305.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	632788   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4309.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	632789  

Old 04-28-2024, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Block
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4293.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	632790  

Old 04-28-2024, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why are round ports hard?

Old 04-28-2024, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Ram Air manifolds don’t fit in a pre ‘68 engine bay. Simply not enough room. Some people have ground on the frame to make them work, moved the engine back 1/2” or so, installed spacers between the frame and frame stands. Doug’s headers makes a product, their 567 headers. The 1 7/8” primaries are huge and you have to bang out, or in, the interferences. Just a shipload of work in my mind. It got worse, though. The column shift made the Dougs practically impossible.

Old 04-28-2024, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was hoping to find some pics of when I took the Valve Covers and oil pan off. I’ll have to do some digging, but in a nutshell it’s a 72cc E-head roller cam engine. Nice top end all the valvetrain and everything is virtually new. The RPM manifold. Cam specs unknown. But obviously it’s not going to be some 214/224 pony cam.
I’m no expert, but the bottom end looks really nice. All new eagle rotating assembly, their good stuff. Keith Black pistons. They even drilled and tapped for 4 bolt mains. Again, all new.

So I guess that the obvious choice is to sell the top end and use the money to get some nice semi performance iron heads with just the D-port logs. Back to flat tappet cam? I’ll use the factory ‘68 intake and quadrajet that I’m running. I have a couple of cams in stock, a Summit 2801 and the Melling equivalent.

Thoughts?

With all of the luck I’ve had with this car in the past year, I want to finally have an engine that I know what’s been done to it and what’s put into it.

Old 04-28-2024, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Swap out to KRE or Edel D port heads?

Old 04-28-2024, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

dougs round ports fit my 65 just fine albeit a manual?

Old 04-29-2024, 06:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never really heard complaints of round ports in 67's and as a matter of fact see a few at local gatherings.

If it's truly a problem it would be easier, less work and probably cheaper if you just swapped to an Eddy or Kauffman Dport head and left the rest of the engine alone. Figuring out what cam is in it wouldn't be that hard and if you're dealing with a 455 I wouldn't want to go too tiny on a cam anyway, like that 2801 for instance.

All that work and money spending sounds a bit excessive over a round ports exhaust dilemma.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 04-29-2024, 06:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never really heard complaints of round ports in 67's and as a matter of fact see a few at local gatherings.

If it's truly a problem it would be easier, less work and probably cheaper if you just swapped to an Eddy or Kauffman Dport head and left the rest of the engine alone. Figuring out what cam is in it wouldn't be that hard and if you're dealing with a 455 I wouldn't want to go too tiny on a cam anyway, like that 2801 for instance.

All that work and money spending sounds a bit excessive over a round port exhaust dilemma.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My round ports fit great in my 64

Old 04-29-2024, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, getting back to that we just bought the wrong motor. Just the tall valve covers alone with AC, the 72cc heads, etc. our car has A/C, Cruise Control, PB, and needs a ton of vacuum.
Anyways, it doesn’t matter because I could probably sell the top end for more than I paid for the whole engine. So yes log manifolds in D-ports. I understand that the cam is mild, but I believe that there is a reason it is so popular. Plus I already have one which is a huge consideration nowadays.
I’m seeing that aluminum heads are about the same price as some breathed upon iron heads.
So what are my choices, then? A larger combustion chamber for sure. How large? Less cam one way or another. Keep it a roller? (I know, new cam).

Old 04-29-2024, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have round port Dougs on my 67. The install was not much of an issue.

Old 04-29-2024, 02:11 PM

Sell the heads and intake/carb.

Sell the cam and lifters.

Put whatever mild flat tappet hydraulic cam in it like a 2801 or 068.

Buy some rebuilt stock iron heads with combustion chambers sized correctly for your compression ratio target, log exhaust manifolds and an iron Quadrajet intake and carb.

You’re best off using the factory carb and intake so all your cruise control components will match up seamlessly.

Done.

Old 04-29-2024, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd be inclined to leave it alone at least until you dig into the current cam and find out what it is first.

If you really want to change the cam it makes more sense to leave it a roller so you aren't buying more parts. Just get a nice 230 @ .050 roller if it's a 455, or something in that neighborhood. Butler has a lot of choices in that range with 112-114 LSA that plays very nice with PB and AC. Then you're just stabbing a cam in.
My opinion on heads if you want to change those is that you'll have $1500-$2000 easily in a set of iron heads fresh and setup properly at which point I'd just get yourself a set of Dport aluminum Eddy's or Kauffman's and call that done. I don't even screw with iron heads anymore unless it's a numbers build because they really dont save me anything that's worth worrying about.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This thread is completely backwards. You're supposed to remove iron D-ports and manifolds replace them with round port edelbrock heads and headers. What the heck is this world coming to? Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together ... MASS HYSTERIA!!!!!

Old 04-29-2024, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Sounds like you're looking for re-assurance on what your plan is over actual advise on what to do.

If you want a 2801 and some iron heads with log manifolds, you can certainly go that route. You'll likely end up with a fine running engine that fits your needs. I don't know if that will be the most economical route, but it's certainly doable and much easier with the engine out of the car anyway.

Maybe I didn't read thoroughly enough, or may have missed a previous post somewhere, but what cubic inch is the engine at? A 557 block will be a 400. Does it have a stroker assembly in it that would punch it out to 460+ cid, or does it retain a factory stroke which would have it closer to a 406? This matters because the head you choose needs to match the size of the engine. If it's a stroked 400, I'd try to get a set of 6x-4's on there. These would net you a pump gas friendly compression ratio in the 9.3-9.5:1 range, depending on what pistons you have, how far in the hole they are and what type of head gasket you're using. You could likewise go with the 85cc KRE D port or 87cc Edelbrock D port. You may be able to get the Edelbrock heads the quickest.

All that of course is assuming this is a pretty standard stroker rotating assembly that uses flat top pistons with around 7cc's of valve relief. If you don't have receipts on what was put inside the engine and you're guessing, I'd take one of the heads off and verify what pistons are in there at a minimum. You don't want to spend 2K on a set of heads only to find out you've got a set of domed pistons in the engine that make them unusable on pump gas with a mild cam. If I was going to take a head off, I'd probably take the cam out at the same time and find out what you really have in there. If it's something in the low 230@0.050 range, it's going to have good manners and make enough vacuum in a 460" engine to run your AC and PB. You may be able to save a bit of money as a result and keep it in there.

In regards to the tall valve covers, do the heads have some kind of shaft rocker setup or stud girdle that would require valve covers that tall? Some people just like the look of tall covers. Those may be a non-issue and can simply be replaced with stock valve covers.

Old 04-29-2024, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Post five has me, most concerned.
Drilling and tapping 557 blocks for 4 bolt mains is a huge NO-NO on a 557 block.
I would NOT want to run that engine, AT ALL...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 04-29-2024, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Sounds like you're looking for re-assurance on what your plan is over actual advise on what to do.

If you want a 2801 and some iron heads with log manifolds, you can certainly go that route. You'll likely end up with a fine running engine that fits your needs. I don't know if that will be the most economical route, but it's certainly doable and much easier with the engine out of the car anyway.

Maybe I didn't read thoroughly enough, or may have missed a previous post somewhere, but what cubic inch is the engine at? A 557 block will be a 400. Does it have a stroker assembly in it that would punch it out to 460+ cid, or does it retain a factory stroke which would have it closer to a 406? This matters because the head you choose needs to match the size of the engine. If it's a stroked 400, I'd try to get a set of 6x-4's on there. These would net you a pump gas friendly compression ratio in the 9.3-9.5:1 range, depending on what pistons you have, how far in the hole they are and what type of head gasket you're using. You could likewise go with the 85cc KRE D port or 87cc Edelbrock D port. You may be able to get the Edelbrock heads the quickest.

All that of course is assuming this is a pretty standard stroker rotating assembly that uses flat top pistons with around 7cc's of valve relief. If you don't have receipts on what was put inside the engine and you're guessing, I'd take one of the heads off and verify what pistons are in there at a minimum. You don't want to spend 2K on a set of heads only to find out you've got a set of domed pistons in the engine that make them unusable on pump gas with a mild cam. If I was going to take a head off, I'd probably take the cam out at the same time and find out what you really have in there. If it's something in the low 230@0.050 range, it's going to have good manners and make enough vacuum in a 460" engine to run your AC and PB. You may be able to save a bit of money as a result and keep it in there.

In regards to the tall valve covers, do the heads have some kind of shaft rocker setup or stud girdle that would require valve covers that tall? Some people just like the look of tall covers. Those may be a non-issue and can simply be replaced with stock valve covers.

Yep, thanks for that. I'm definitely looking for reassurance while hopefully getting the best advice on products and the most economical solution possible.
I'll be pulling this thing apart soon. I'm curious as to the cam and everything. That will be a bit, but I'll update if it happens. You guys will have to show me how to figure out the displacement. I already have some interest in the top end. All that stuff put together adds up to some serious money around here. Remember we don't get free shipping like you lucky bstrds and then there's the sales tax that someone would pay anyway if you bought it here. And never mind the exchange. That being said, if I get half that value back I believe that I'm doing well.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it makes ya feel better, we are all getting hit with bidenomics. There is nothing cheap anymore, and I don't know who isn't paying sales tax. We don't get free shipping at most places unless you spend hundreds of dollars first, and many of them don't even offer that option.
It's gotten pretty much ridiculous to build anything, not just cars. We all feel it down here too.