The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-31-2001, 11:17 PM

I'm trying to locate a good body shop in the New York/New Jersey/Conn. area that can properly repair and repaint the Endura bumper for my 69 GTO. The 4 year old paint on the Endura is starting to crack and bubble. My old body shop ignored what I asked them to do with the bumper...they just shot it with the same paint as the rest of the car without the flex agent. Ugh. Any good shops that you're satisfied with? Much appreciated.

Old 12-31-2001, 11:17 PM

I'm trying to locate a good body shop in the New York/New Jersey/Conn. area that can properly repair and repaint the Endura bumper for my 69 GTO. The 4 year old paint on the Endura is starting to crack and bubble. My old body shop ignored what I asked them to do with the bumper...they just shot it with the same paint as the rest of the car without the flex agent. Ugh. Any good shops that you're satisfied with? Much appreciated.

Old 01-01-2002, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have not yet repainted my endura nose, but I have had a lot of experiance with plastic flexable front bumper covers. Most of the flexable agents available today are not permanent.
They keep the paint flexable for a few months so parts can be assmebled without the paint cracking. What I have found works best is starting with the bare front, sanded with about 320 grit paper. I then use one coat of epoxy primer thinned so it does not need to be sanded.
Use a epoxy primer that is close in color to the color of the car. Apply just enough base coat to achieve correct color. Then clear coat. I usually use onlt two coats of clear.

This finished product will stick like crazy to the cover. The worst thing usually is if the car gets hit, the paint might hairline crack, but will not chip off. I think the trick is keeping it thin. Even one extra coat of clear, can make it less flexable.

I have not yet painted a endura front nose. Maybe someone else with more experiance with these can add to this. I can tell you that if the endura has small cracks in it, they really need to be fixed, or your problem will come right back.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 01-06-2002, 01:53 AM

Hey I was wondering if you could help me? I need to know what is the best way to strip a Eudura Bumper? I bought this bumper at a auto fair for my '68 GTO, and it has at least 2 or 3 coats of paint including the original green.. When I get it stripped i'm going to try your method on painting it..Thanks for any input... Doug

Old 01-06-2002, 12:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

High Performance magazine covered this in 1992 and the procedures were posted at the following website www.goatsgarage.com/bumpfrm1.html

Goof Luck!

Old 01-06-2002, 10:41 PM

Plastic media blasting is how we stip our stuff. There are a couple flexible puttys out now and epoxies for fixing cracks, the main thing is to get it fixed from cracking again. Some shops also use the wrong flex agents with the wrong primers and that makes a difference also.

Old 01-11-2002, 07:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just got my 73 TA nose back from plastic media blasting. It turned out great.