Old 02-05-2002, 10:15 PM
Senior Chief

I'm putting rallye guages in my 70 ragtop. I've got the standard guage package w/tach right now. I've seen in the PY catalog a temp sending unit and a temp wiring harness. Will I need to buy or change anything else?

Old 02-05-2002, 10:15 PM
Senior Chief

I'm putting rallye guages in my 70 ragtop. I've got the standard guage package w/tach right now. I've seen in the PY catalog a temp sending unit and a temp wiring harness. Will I need to buy or change anything else?

Old 02-05-2002, 11:12 PM

The wiring harness on the non gauge car is different than the harness for the gauge car.If I remember correctly two of the wires have to be swapped.If you compare the printed circuit on the back of the two and trace them out from the gauge or light to the plug in void you should be able to see which wires need to be swapped in the plug.I did this 15 years ago but don't remember the colors.You also need a oil sending unit for the gauges.

Tom

[ February 05, 2002: Message edited by: Tom ]</p>

Old 02-06-2002, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Locate #5(tan) wire and the #7(brown) wire on the junction block of the harness where it plugs into the gauges. (Connectors have a number for each wire) Swap these two wires.

Green goes to temp sender, dark blue goes to oil sender.

Old 02-07-2002, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott: I just did this conversion and agree with everything previously posted. In addition, I would add that you'll have to purchase a Rally gauge printed circuit for the gauge "can", you'll also need to use the "can" from a rally setup as the standard idiot light "can" doesn't provide the proper reliefs at the rear for the gauges. The printed circuit was about $70 so be careful to avoid frying it with full voltage during bench testing. Don't ask me how I know that tip. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

While you're at it, (with the dash out) I would highly recommend going ahead with a precautionary heater core replacement.

Best of luck to you Scott, -Matt

Old 02-08-2002, 05:12 PM
Senior Chief

Hey guys...Thanks for the info. One more question? I just got my Rallye guage temp ext harness from PY, part# 15585.
My question is:
There are three connections. Three prong male end goes to engine harness, single female goes to temp sending unit, where does the three prong female end plug in to?
This car was butchered when I got it. Over the years I've been trying to piece it together as best I could from pictures, car shows, and by just talking to people. I only recently found this forum.
My point is I may be missing another harness or something. The car has a/c but it does not work. I know there is harness for that which I don't have. Anyway...Can anyone help?

Old 02-08-2002, 11:35 PM

The three wire plug plugs into another sender with 3 prongs that mounts into the intake on the far side of the thermostat housing.

Tom

[ February 09, 2002: Message edited by: Tom ]</p>

Old 02-09-2002, 05:38 PM
Senior Chief

Tom...What exactly screws into the intake for the 3 way plug to plug in to?

Old 02-09-2002, 07:20 PM

Scott,
It looks like an oversized temperature sending unit.My original doesn't have any part numbers.It is pictured in the Restoration guide and called a water temperature switch.I will scan the page and send it to you.

Old 02-17-2002, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 3 terminal temperature switch you need measures the coolant temperature ONLY for the TCS emission control system that works the vacuum solenoid that tells weather or not the distributor gets full manifold vacuum at idle or not. Typically, when the car is cold there is no vacuum at the distributor advance so there is a need for the "system" to know the temperature of the engine. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2002, 09:03 PM
Senior Chief

Hey guys, thanks for the info. It helps greatly.