Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-26-2004, 05:28 AM
"Guy
Senior Chief

Send a message via MSN to

Jim Hands new book says a stock Poncho can handle a 150 shot of NOS without ending up in scrap yard? True?
How would a NOS cheater plate work under a Qjet sitting on top of a RPM intake? Would I need to add another control to my MSD 6al to have the timing retard when it takes say 125 shot?
What would be the best/cheepest NOS set-up for 406 ci,9.7 compression, 4spd, 3:55 gear? Toying with idea...very well restored stock looking 68 goat with a NOS bottle in trunk.

Old 08-26-2004, 05:28 AM
"Guy
Senior Chief

Jim Hands new book says a stock Poncho can handle a 150 shot of NOS without ending up in scrap yard? True?
How would a NOS cheater plate work under a Qjet sitting on top of a RPM intake? Would I need to add another control to my MSD 6al to have the timing retard when it takes say 125 shot?
What would be the best/cheepest NOS set-up for 406 ci,9.7 compression, 4spd, 3:55 gear? Toying with idea...very well restored stock looking 68 goat with a NOS bottle in trunk.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've run similar set-up on BBC engines, and all was well. I actually like the Q-Jet for nitrous apps, because of its superior fuel metering capabilities (assuming it is working correctly!).

The plate system would be fine, and I generally stay at the 125 level. You should retard your timing when using it, better safe than sorry. MSD sells several different devices that will retard timing using your 6AL, from simple to multi-stage nitrous specific controllers.

Mike M

Old 08-26-2004, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The biggest concern is the fuel system ability to keep pace w/both the carb requirements and the fuel side of the plate. If you run low on fuel pressure/volume, then you go lean and will hurt the motor very quickly. W/o NOS if you run out of fuel, the motor stumbles. As you go faster, the fuel supply volume, pressure, and tank pickups become issues real quick.

I am interested to hear ideas for supplying the fuel requirements, short of a dedicated line from the tank for these type of 'baby NOS/low budget' systems.

My gut tells me that if you skimp and go the low budget way ( particularly on fuel system ) then it will become an accident waiting to happen and become high budget very quickly w/a motor rebuild.

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 08-26-2004, 11:12 AM
"Guy
Senior Chief

Jim very good point on the fuel system. I have a Holley blue eletric pusher pump at the tank and Carter mechanical now,modified sending unit to a 3/8 line, 3/8 stainless or areo equip line makes up the rest. Maybe tee after the eletric pump with a gage and regulator at the plate? And for sure a safety switch to cut NOS if fuel pressure is lost. Will this work well? Any suggestions on fuel system and MSD timing controller?

Old 08-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Absolutely agree with the fuel system comment! I meant to add that to my original post, but didn't do so. Nitrous without the extra fuel almost always equals KABOOM!!

I tell people this >> If you are going to try and run nitrous on the cheap ... DON'T. I like the extra tank with higher octane and dedicated fuel pump and lines. But that does get expensive.

As for the MSD, look at their website www.msdignition.com for specs on the following models, by part number >> 8680 , 8975 ,8970. Those are listed from cheapest to most expensive.

Mike M

Old 08-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here ya go: Hope some of this info helps.

http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiac...NOSindexa.html

Old 08-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Senior Chief

Nitrous is a tough subject to know where to stop after you make the decision to add it, there is so many cool options.
I decided on and installed a NOS Cheater system with a Holley blue pump/regulator located up front on my frame, plumbed in line with my mechanical pump. I also use the 8680 MSD box. I started with 150 pills, put in 200's, and then tried 250's but have settled on the 200's for a nice blend between performance and reliability. I figure my system is about as low budget as a guy should do. I do have forged pistons and 11 to 1 compression so I run 70%93 and 30%114 leaded. I will tell you that juicin made my car a hell of street fighter.