Old 06-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '66 Grand Prix - Correct Shocks Application

My dad is prepping his '66 Grand Prix for the POCI convention in CA. later this month. He does not know the correct application for shocks on front and rears.

Does anyone know what the correct color/type of shock should be? Can they be purchased NOS or restoration replacement in a fairly decent reproduction of the originals? Finally, a source for purchasing would also be helpful.
Thanks, Greg.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Delco shocks that you want are no longer made. You may find them on ebarf. They are usually referred to as Delco Spiral shocks since they have a spiral pattern visible. NOS ones are hard to find, and probably not cheap.

You may just want to buy a set of KYB's or something else, get a can of Plasti-Cote Universal Gray or Ford Gray, and paint them up. You'll get a better ride too...much better.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

MPKind, I appreciate your comments regarding ride. I've already warned him that the old spiral shocks are not very good, especially for a cross country drive.

Maybe he can change them out once in Cali.

I wasn't sure if spirals were the correct application for big Pontiacs. I know they were correct for my TA's.

Thank you for the information. I'll Performance Years and Ames.
Greg.