Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check out their website. They are coming out with a new trans. Can't wait. They have endless people pissed about the long wait for the RS trans. I waited 3 months on a TKO, that had been in production for years. I guess this new one is ordered for your offspring.......

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rich try calling Hurst Driveline.

79 Trans AM 406 #12 heads Torker II intake Crower 60210 750 holley vac. sec. T400 3500 Stall 3:73:1 rear. ECMTTFMFers. IHTTFMFers.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My car was a 4-speed car to begin with. When I spread the tunnel apart to make room for the new tranny, the shifter porch wasn't even close. I made a card board template, cut pieces from 16 gauge sheet metal and made my own. Looks pretty good considering that I am not a sheet metal guy. The reason I split the tunnel and spread it apart was that if I ever decided to go back to a 4-speed at a later date, it would not be a large deal to pull the patch out and weld the tunnel back. Doubt that I will ever do that.

66 GTO Convertible. LS3-525 HP. Legend LGT700 5-speed, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes, Ridetech coil over front susp, PMT rear susp, Hotchkis bars, Billet Specialties 18" Dagger's (18X9 rear, 18X8 front).
2002 Ram Air WS.6 convertible Trans Am. Wife's car.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not much progress to report. I finished removing the sound deadener from the trans tunnel and slid under the dash to scope out the pedal removal and install. After a little head scratching I'm in agreement with those that have said that the aftermarket clutch/brake pedals are fairly sad. Soooooo, I just blew a few more bucks and found a set of OEM manual trans pedals on Ebay, straight out of a 69 GTO. They'll be on their way shortly. I have new bushings and will hit them with a little paint. Tomorrow, after work, the old pedal comes out.

Question......is their a return spring on the OEM clutch pedal?

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

David,
No return spring off of the pedal, its off the counter shaft.
Here are some pictures of my trans tunnel after surgery, just finished today. Need to clean floor and paint. Also going to Dyno matt the floor. I cant wait to get this thing going.
Are you going to be at the GTOAA nats this year?

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Soory, here are those picts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2671.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	277993   Click image for larger version

Name:	2673.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	277994  

Old 03-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT WHORE View Post
David,
No return spring off of the pedal, its off the counter shaft.
Here are some pictures of my trans tunnel after surgery, just finished today. Need to clean floor and paint. Also going to Dyno matt the floor. I cant wait to get this thing going.
Are you going to be at the GTOAA nats this year?
No to the GTOAA Nat's, unless it happens to be close?

I'm installing a hyd throw-out bearing, so I'm going to need a spring somewhere?

Old 03-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pedals.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pedals.JPG
Views:	678
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	278023  

Old 03-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

before you install that bugger, can you give me a dimension off it as my piece has been "repaired" once in it's lifetime...

I need the angle that the second piece is welded onto the swing arm.

thanks

Last edited by Scarebird; 03-12-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
before you install that bugger, can you give me a dimension off it as my piece has been "repaired" once in it's lifetime...

I need the angle that the second piece is welded onto the swing arm.

thanks
More than happy to, when I get them. Week or so?

Old 03-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

David, I was just wondering, why are you wanting to do the shifter hump with your conversion?

I actually did the conversion without the hump to begin with and it worked good with automatic carpet. It pulls the carpet towrd the center because of the larger hump but as long as it is a new peice and hasnt been trimmed already, it hides nicely at the edges and and tucks up under the kick panels good.

Later on I tried to install a shifter hump and use 4 speed carpet for a more factory look. I had to do some fab work on the hump to get it to even fit the floor, and even so, the 4-speed carpet fit so terribly that it just sucked. If you are dead set on that, I would recommend trying to remove the whole trans tunnel and raise it up to where it clears the trans. That is the only shot you'll have at making the 4-speed carpet fit decent.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GB, the original plan was to use a factory console, some time down the road.

I think the hump is needed if I do?

As I sit here right now, I'm going back and forth on the console thing. I've found myself looking at leather (vinyl?) shift boots lately. If I could come up with or make a nice base (polished aluminum?) for the boot I might go that way and forget about the console ($4/500....) idea. I also suspect I'll be buying new carpet. We'll see how the hole I cut for the automatic shifter lines up with the Tremec shifter (offset for a console) and also how enlarging the tunnel pulls the carpet away from the door sill plates.

Lots of decisions to make.

And no hurry to make them.

1st person experience like yours is invaluable. And appreciated.

Once I actually lift the trans into the tunnel and see how much needs to be cut I may just figure out a way to lift the whole tunnel as you suggest. I've read (no pictures sadly...) on other forums where others have done just that.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:09 PM

David, I'm definitely interested in this install. Been kicking it around in a big car for a while now and would love the OD in my A body.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

David, if you are wanting to eventually use a console, then you will definitely want to raise the entire length of tunnel that will support the console. If not, it will inevitably be shaped wrong and will leave gaps between the console and floor and look like crap. If you have one or can borrow one, it would probably work to slice along each side of the tunnel and across the back and raise the rear a few inches.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is more room up toward the front than there is in the rear because of the shifter mechanism and how high it is. The carpet is definitely going to have some fit issues in between the seats, but some good insulation work can make it look fairly good.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

General Tremec and Keisler info. Keisler chimes in @ post 28. http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377485

Old 03-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

no return spring needed with the hydro clutch. i raised my tunnel approx 1.25" but i had a center shifter, no console, original auto on column car, and it's a 75...

my install pics here:
http://www.abodysite.com/frameentry.html

Old 03-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, are you guys saying an auto and manual tunnel are different? Is this all A-Body's or certain years? I want to do this auto to stick swap (5 or maybe a 6 speed) on my 70 and aside from the add-on hump for the shifter, I never heard of the tunnels being different. Or is this because of the types of transmissions we are trying to shove in there?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The manual just has a shift porch.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lol! I know that is the correct term but it is so funny. I was purposely avoiding it and calling it a shifter hump!