Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-26-2012, 08:52 PM

The thread left me hanging. Is this guy still around? Does he sell these? I dont mean to knock it, looks like a lot of work but I think its overkill.

Anyone willing to do the work themselves will be able to do it the way I did for way under 100 bucks. The most expensive item so far is the belt at $30. I guess it all depends on where you get your pulleys though, mine were 6.00 each at junk yard.

I wish I had an engine on a stand for better pics. I am spraying my brackets now and hope to assemble this week with pics.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

yeah, that thread went on for like 4 years, and no end product. I doubt if it is going to ever be sold.
And I like that big plate about as much as I like the bling bling of the March setup.
Russ

Old 02-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by russosborne View Post
yeah, that thread went on for like 4 years, and no end product. I doubt if it is going to ever be sold.
And I like that big plate about as much as I like the bling bling of the March setup.
Russ
Dave Schiffers the OP last posted in Dec. 2010, according to his public profile.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by russosborne View Post
...And I like that big plate about as much as I like the bling bling of the March setup.
Russ
I too don't understand the interest.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I had thought about making a plate to mount the Alt and P/S pump-- or better yet, a Type II pump.
Believe me, Jiimo- I'm all about cheap!! I would rather do the junkyard method than shell out for March's goofy system.
I look forward to seeing your finished product. Please keep us updated!

Old 02-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd like to know if it runs quiet, no belt whistles or squeaks:Is this Serpentine running?

Old 02-27-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
I'd like to know if it runs quiet, no belt whistles or squeaks:Is this Serpentine running?

All parts are made and or modified and ready to install. I figured I would replace my noisy power steering pump while I had it apart. Ill have the pump tomorrow and everything should be together by Friday. My pesky 9-5 job gets in the way
I did run it with the temporary spacers. Its actually overall quieter but does have a whine to it. I was pleasantly surprised and think it sounds pretty cool! I guess that part is left to opinion though.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ask with reason: the Whine or worse yet squeal would be from the Belt mini-Vees bottoming-out on the Pulley Vees. That spells of a worm pulley in a Factory-match Vee-vee array. But This & That pulley with a belt should result in this & that Vee in the Pulley grooves.

Good news is MAYBE all the Manufactureres have standardized on their mini-Vee dimensions so Belt makers can do the same for all Big Car companies. I just don't know.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
I ask with reason: the Whine or worse yet squeal would be from the Belt mini-Vees bottoming-out on the Pulley Vees. That spells of a worm pulley in a Factory-match Vee-vee array. But This & That pulley with a belt should result in this & that Vee in the Pulley grooves.

Good news is MAYBE all the Manufactureres have standardized on their mini-Vee dimensions so Belt makers can do the same for all Big Car companies. I just don't know.
Very good point and great info. The two ford and one gm pulley all have the same depth. The VW is slightly deeper. I purchased a dayco w-drive belt as it is supposed to be designed to compensate for differences in pulley wear and alignment. The peaks of the belt do not bottom out on any of the valleys of the pulleys. The whining is actually really very quiet and didnt cause concern. I do hope it doesnt become an issue over time.

I do have to admit that I wasnt aware that the depth was different from each manufacturer until you pointed it out, so thank you. It was only coincidence that I bought the dayco.

After reading your post I took a closer look at the pulleys and did some searching online and found this.
http://www.daycow.com/daycow.nsf/Day...FQPe4AodFlsHNw
I hope everything works well. We will see after some miles and some loads on it.
I guess worst case I will have to find a replacement for the VW alternator pulley but that might be difficult.
We will see, I'm keepin my fingers crossed.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Boost Engineer

Guys screw up on that deal with supercharger pulleys and ribbed belts too. The P-"Dodger" boys sold some systems where the belt rib tips bottomed out in their pulleys and the systems never did make any real boost. Belt slippage.

The only way that a ribbed belt works is if there is no contact at the points and if the belt is gripping on the sides to the pulley groove.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My R4 set up is off an 81 turbo TA. Bracket is real easy to shim

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 02-27-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
My R4 set up is off an 81 turbo TA. Bracket is real easy to shim
Do you have a pic? I saw a couple on ebay but I didnt want to spend that much on a gamble. I got an aluminum one from a 6 cyl 1990, I think, camaro. It will work with some mods but if the 81 is easier and if I can score one at the right price it would be worth it.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll send you one

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 02-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Frankie,
How about posting it so all can see? That way we can keep a public knowledge base
Thanks!

Old 02-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Guys screw up on that deal with supercharger pulleys and ribbed belts too. The P-"Dodger" boys sold some systems where the belt rib tips bottomed out in their pulleys and the systems never did make any real boost. Belt slippage. The only way that a ribbed belt works is if there is no contact at the points and if the belt is gripping on the sides to the pulley groove. Tom Vaught
Hmmm Tom, you and me working together; we could take over the world. HIS

Old 02-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 81 TA A/C

81 TA A/C set up R4 compressor. all brackets can be milled or shimmed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8258.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	276697   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8259.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	276698   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8260.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	276699   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8261.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	276700   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8262.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	276701  

Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 PM

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post those Frankie! Thats definitely an option for me. I really like the way those lines do a quick 90 away from the engine without the bends. It would require a bit of spacing in my application but its do-able.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The accumulator is behind the pass side headlight. I upgraded the whole A/C system to 81 with accumulator instead of POA valve.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This looks like a good DIY solution.

I wonder how you know if the accessories are spinning at the correct RPM?

Old 03-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only one that would make a real diff would be WP