Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedshopmike
popular mail-order ford engine builders.
i hear primarily good things about them from folks in my shop.
a former employee just got a shortblock from them; it checked out and the machine work was nice, and he noted their service was very good and it was priced well.
JYD, the holley spreadbores you are talking about are reman'd q-jets; if you look at hollley's part number, you'll note the last 4 digits are edelbrock's old qjet #'s....(the 65-indicates a reman carb through holley's line)

I've got a 306 in the shop right now that was destined to be a vortec blown engine. DSS built it with dish pistons for just that reason. Well.....guess what. They did not align-hone it, or deck it (it has main studs). The thing was blowing head gaskets left and right. The housing bore on the mains is so far out, that the mains were eating into the crank. The rod bearings looked pretty good considering the metal they had going through them. It was also built with a stock .010/.010 crank (light casting).

Also, not the first one I have seen like it.

Bryan

Old 06-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"The shop refused to believe the story and kept quoting their generic BS line that "every carb is inspected and tested..."

A buddy named Bill Klausing had a Q-Jet done by them that ran pig rich and on inspection it had no jets anywhere. So much for the above "Inspected" deal. I think that when Brad got sick the whole deal went down the tube and the "V. Brothers" bought the place without a clue either.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My "Carb Shop" Qjet was done when Brad was still around early 90s. Came back with shavings in the secondary accel. pump well where they drilled it out and also put in replaceable secondary jets for the metering rods, and only one of the ball bearings they tapped in the idle bypass passages in themain body still in place. Did smell of gas like it was run. Idled worse than the stock similar model # did.

I cleaned it and ran it OK. It has since been tweaked by Cliff but not put on a motor since it was on his.

My current Holley 850 DP had shavings imbedded in the metering block gasket surfaces but none I could find in the carb and all passages looked good, runs great.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Suspended

You can't risk buying a new carb and just bolting it on anymore without first taking it apart and cleaning it out. Unless you like metal shavings plugging everything up.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by goquick
You can't risk buying a new carb and just bolting it on anymore without first taking it apart and cleaning it out. Unless you like metal shavings plugging everything up.
Or unless you buy a Custom Holley from myself as I live test every build.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Or unless you buy a Custom Holley from myself as I live test every build.

Yup, I've seen Shaker455 do a test while I assisted slightly in person.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Suspended

Shaker455, I've heard you do a good thing to 'em!! As for going and buying a new one at a local shop or ordering mail order say from summit or jegs, I wouldn't chance bolting it on without cleaning it out first!

Old 06-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"Or unless you buy a Custom Holley from myself as I live test every build." Sam treating you right Shaker?

Shaker and Cliff both have very good processes where every carb they do is road tested on their own car prior to shipment.
I recommend either gentleman, Cliff for Q-Jets and Shaker for Holleys. I am friends with both of them.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Tom,
Yes Sam is treating me fine thanks but most times I talk to Julie.

Are you going to be at Norwalk this year?

Old 06-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Heard this guy named Tom V was pretty good also, but his attitude sucks, and takes way to long to finish

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 06-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goquick
But then it's considered " USED " and you can not return it, even if it's a P.O.S.
Right, Barry Grant.....?

I agree with the statement though, but for this kind of money, you should not have too.
Right, Barry Grant.....?
I mean with such a stringent inspection process they put their high quality carbs through.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Suspended

rugratman , you figured out the catch ya 22 with no recourse!! I agree, that for the money, it (a new carb) should be able to be bolted on without issues.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkillphil
Seems to be this case with alot of carb places. My best friend went through a string of bad Holley 800's until he took my advice and sent one to the "Carb Shop". I had read nothing but positive things about them in car magazines (first mistake) at that time, and encouraged him to try them out.

He sent all his specs on his RA-IV car and when he got it back, it was full of metal shavings. He is a perfectionist so I thought he was just being picky. I drove over his house to get a visual, and this thing was chock full of crap. After he thoroughly cleaned it out, he installed it on the car and tested it. It ran just as poorly as when he sent it to them! The shop refused to believe the story and kept quoting their generic BS line that "every carb is inspected and tested..." Needless to say, he never dealt with that place again, in addition to "passing along the information" to other potential victims.

Of course, this was quite a few years ago and it is entirely possible that the Carb Shop has improved since that time.
It's funny, I had my 301 Quadrajet sent to the Carb Shop to be rebuilt and modified for the 455 I built to replace the 301. The carb has never run right, leaks, and falls on it's face at anything above 4500 rpm. I have been sick of this carb for a while and thought about replacing with the Might Demon 825. I guess I'm not doing that now!!!

I think I'll send my carb to Cliff for proper rebuilding AND testing!!!

Love this forum!!!

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 6-Speed, LS6 block, TEA LS6 heads, 4" SCAT forged crank, SCAT H-Beam rods, 226/234 cam, McLeod RST clutch, SLP Lid, SLP Power Flo Catback
1980 Pontiac Trans Am Y-84 Bandit WS6, 455 (.030 over), #96 Heads, Hedman headers, Wolverine 234/244 cam, Performer intake, Holley Sniper
"Need a car to run blocker. Speedy car. Speedier than that....."
Old 08-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"Heard this guy named Tom V was pretty good also, but his attitude sucks, and takes way to long to finish"

Only because he hung around for a short period of time with a guy named Mike Wachter. (:>))))))

Tom V.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught
Quote:

"Heard this guy named Tom V was pretty good also, but his attitude sucks, and takes way to long to finish"

Only because he hung around for a short period of time with a guy named Mike Wachter. (:>))))))

Tom V.
Tusche, or however you say it

Old 08-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had a float stick yesterday.
Looked like paper gasket material. The bowl gaskets are neoprene.
Found tiny metal flakes in ther also. Not alot, but...

Old 08-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Senior Chief

That Tom Vaught can sure put down some Mexican food too!