THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:11 PM

Default Dealer license frame reproductions/recreations

I wanted a pair of "Royal" frames for my 65 but didn't want to spend $80 for a pair so I created the artwork had vinyl stickers printed and made my own. I sold a few sets to offset the cost as I needed to print the stickers in bulk and I didn't need 20 frames.

I was just approached by someone to create a pair of "Mecham" frames for his T/A. He also doesn't need 20 sets. I'm thinking I could get 2 possibly 3 stickers printed per sheet and instead of all Mecham on all create frames for 2 other dealers.

I'm looking for suggestions on which dealers might be good to use for the other frames. Any suggestions?

Some I was thinking of
  • Myrtle
  • Knafel
  • Monk King
  • JULES MEYERS

Old 01-03-2020, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya might want to check possible legal ramifications before you get to excited.

Old 01-03-2020, 01:48 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny99 View Post
I wanted a pair of "Royal" frames for my 65 but didn't want to spend $80 for a pair so I created the artwork had vinyl stickers printed and made my own. I sold a few sets to offset the cost as I needed to print the stickers in bulk and I didn't need 20 frames.

I was just approached by someone to create a pair of "Mecham" frames for his T/A. He also doesn't need 20 sets. I'm thinking I could get 2 possibly 3 stickers printed per sheet and instead of all Mecham on all create frames for 2 other dealers.

I'm looking for suggestions on which dealers might be good to use for the other frames. Any suggestions?

Some I was thinking of
  • Myrtle
  • Knafel
  • Monk King
  • JULES MEYERS
How about “Packer” (from when they were on Livernois in Detroit)?

Old 01-03-2020, 02:26 PM

Thanks but I'm not getting rich on a few frames so can't say I'm too excited. Any of the above dealers have been defunct for a number of years and no trademarks are registered.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks but I'm not getting rich on a few frames so can't say I'm too excited. Any of the above dealers have been defunct for a number of years and no trademarks are registered.
Maybe not an obscure dealership but I would imagine someone owns the rights to the Royal name, Just give away the license plate frame and charge the $20 or so for shipping! I think it sounds pretty cool but not relevant to my car.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stand Wisnes in San Rafael,CA
Young Pontiac in Escondido, CA

Old 01-03-2020, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Dr Eric Schiffer has the trademark for the Royal name.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-03-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Dr Eric Schiffer has the trademark for the Royal name.

K
Dr Eric Schiffer had the trademark for "ACE WILSON'S ROYAL RACING TEAM" and "ROYAL RACING TEAM ROYAL BOBCAT". All trademarks are dead/expired.

Last edited by Johnny99; 01-03-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On the potmetal dealership license plate frames with the raised letters, maybe it was a regional thing, but here in the flyover states, by the early to mid seventies, sure didn't see many new dealers installing such license frames. As a part time gig as a HS kid in 77-79, I drove a ton of GMAC repo's back to dealers or back to local branch office lot, as well as the same lot shared by several GM zones. Having shopped the used market & boneyarded extensively since the early 80's, then heavily bought partscars, a few things noticed:
-Like the cool chrome metal dealer license frames, the distinctive chrome potmetal dealer trunk emblems definitely had their day. The latest chrome metal raised letter style license frames I ever came across on new carswere used by a local VW/Audi & Triumph dealership, still installed them in the early '80's.
-By the early '70's, quite a few new GM dealers were foregoing the screw on pot metal dealer emblems, were putting a simple reflective base decal on the decklid similar to what most used car lots installed at that time. yeah, they looked cheap!
-A few new dealers used really cheap raised plastic emblems attached with two side tape. these lost their chrome or gold highlights within a few years.
- By the late '70's there were a few new dealerships that installed typically off white plastic license frames with dealer name, removed quite a few of those & chunked 'em.
-By the early 80's more & more dealers began using a dry transfer outline script type decal.