Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-13-2019, 02:12 PM

Default Drop base air cleaner for Holley Street Demon

I know there is an issue with some drop base air cleaners not clearing the Street Demons choke setup. I just received a new SD, not installed yet, but wanted to see if I needed to order a new base for my air cleaner.

The one I was using previously fit just fine though. It is a plain top cheapo from Amazon .

Clears all moving parts of the carb as well as the choke

Old 06-06-2019, 10:22 PM

If the current one clears all moving parts you should not need a new one. I think the possible restriction is when the choke opens up the accuating arm of the choke moves toward the outer edge of the air cleaner base where it sits on top of the carb.

FYI, I installed a SD 625 on my mild Olds 350 and although it started right up and ran well it was too rich out of the box (gas mileage was lower than with old QJet). I changed out the primary rods and jets to a leaner combination and both mileage and performance improved.