THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:41 AM

Default The stupidity of "Reality" car show shops.

OK. I'll admit that I do enjoy quite a few of the shows, well maybe just a few. Even if the scripted drama is ridiculous I do enjoy seeing some of the cars put together.

I tried a new show this morning while on the elliptical, "Iron Resurrection" . Of course I look for either a Pontiac or A body build first and saw one for what looked like a 69 Judge. Cool.

Turns out it's not a Judge to start out with. The car starts as a 69 GTO shell with all new panels, very clean and rust free. Everyone on the show is impressed because it's so clean and a 242 car. The fact that it's a real GTO not a clone impresses all of them a lot. Great maybe it'll be a mild resto-mod project.

So what do they do with this all metal rust free straight "not a clone" car? They cut the back of the frame off to clear mini-tubs, cut out the floor and trunk because it's "easier to cut everything out and start fresh", and turn it into a Judge clone Pro Street car.

WTF

Old 02-20-2019, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think its like anything else, something starts off good and goes bad. I was happy when hot rod shows started to catch on. Now its a flooded market and the shows are basically parodies of themselves. "If we don't finish this car we are gonna loose the shop!"

They are also building for the lowest common denominator. To entertain that guy who wears a 1970 Chevelle T Shirt, but is never ever really going to take part in the hobby. You gotta realize the people who populate this board and others like it are like the 1%ers of the hot rod hobby.

I do pay my $5 a month for Motortrend on demand. I get a lotta miles out of their originals. Roadkill and all the spinoffs. But they certainly have duds too. That said the Engine Masters show for instance, there is a fair amount of decent tech in that.

Ive even enjoyed a few episodes of some shows I wouldn't think I would have, like JDM Legends.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 02-20-2019, 10:25 AM
Suspended

It happens every day. When they do it on TV the background music should be Queen's "Another one bites the dust". I never look at it as a negative if its a car like I own. I look at it as a positive. 1 less car only makes mine worth more.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:35 AM
Suspended

On the flip side, I watched an episode of Fantomworks where Dan flatly refused to resto-mod an all original, low mileage, 1st gen Camaro convertible.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is not exactly the subject of the thread, but also about vehicles on TV shows.

I'm often amused at things they do with & say about vehicles on TV shows & in movies.

They still have guys who jump in late model cars, reach under the dash & supposedly twist a couple of wires together, then quickly drive it away.

Then there are the exhaust sounds of different vehicles. Some do not sound even remotely how the vehicle should sound.

Just recently saw a TV show where they showed a hydraulic brake line, that had supposedly been cut, and was leaking fluid. Problem was that the vehicle was an 18-wheeler which had air brakes.

Then there are the sounds of squealing tires, from vehicles which do not have enuff power to squeal a tire, in the situation portrayed. Sometimes you hear tire squeal sounds from tires that are on a dirt or gravel surface, or a wet road.

It seems that Hollywood just makes the vehicle appear to do whatever they want it to do.

I like some of the Myth Busters shows. They try to prove whether something claimed, or portrayed on TV/movies can actually be done, or not.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:59 PM

I am sooo tired of seeing sparks flying! It seems the producers of these shows love to see sparks fly. Even when they are detailing a car, someone has to be making sparks somewhere to add "excitement". I don't get the fasination with all the sparks.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:11 PM

I suppose the sparks and drama are for the non-gear head viewers that probably outnumber the gear heads.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:21 PM

I started watching one "Misfit Garage" a spinoff of Fast and Loud. I specifically like it because the cars aren't over the top for the most part The "drama" I can deal with because it goes with the territory. The comedy bits are another thing though, just awful.

Now I know these guys flip cars for profit which is great but they are constantly ripping off "friends".

"We bought the car for $2500 and put $3000 into it an sold it for $18,000 to my good friend Billy Bob who I've known for 20 years."

Old 02-20-2019, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's almost like you guys didn't know all those shows were scripted.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
That right there. Can you imagine how boring the security camera feed would be on a real shop?

Old 02-20-2019, 06:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tonight a show called Wrench'd(or something like that) is on at 9 or 10 EST. I stumbled on it for the first time last week and I liked it. It's not a high budget show and they're not actors, but I like their work and they seem like down to earth guys. It still has the usual drama and scripted stuff, but like Chris said, it'd be a snoozer without it. I'm anxious to see if I still like it after tonight.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Joe Martin builds some killer stuff. I thought that GTO was sick! He also built a 73 bird that came out amazing.

I look at it like this, the GTO was nothing special. It was a shell. Not every car needs to be restored to factory specs. All that matters is the owner is happy, and the shop makes money.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 02-20-2019, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing that really bothers me about these shows........they're pros, right? These "pros' can't seem to start a fresh engine without the required flame out of the carb, or tweaking the distributor back and forth to try and start it.

A pro can't figure out where to set the distributor to the proper timing mark?

Stoopid.

george

Old 02-20-2019, 06:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A few years ago, don't remember if it was "the Count", or Richard Rawlings, but they were driving around looking for something to buy. Pulled into a neighborhood, and saw a 68 GTO parked at the curb. Carousel Red, with Judge stripes, and spoiler. They start going off on this fantastic "69 Judge", find the owner, who wouldn't sell, and told him "if I had a 69 Judge like this, I wouldn't sell it either"....

Old 02-20-2019, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
One thing that really bothers me about these shows........they're pros, right? These "pros' can't seem to start a fresh engine without the required flame out of the carb, or tweaking the distributor back and forth to try and start it.
Like I said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I'm sure that without a TV show director telling them what to do, those engines would start right up.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:24 PM

I don't have cable or dish, so I miss out on most of these shows. I have seen Counting Cars episodes on You Tube. I enjoy the Count for his personality, but the rest of the show is bogus. "Reality" is a complete misnomer when it comes to these shows.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Counting cars and Wheeler dealer are about the only ones I can stand.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 02-21-2019, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
Joe Martin builds some killer stuff. I thought that GTO was sick! He also built a 73 bird that came out amazing.

I look at it like this, the GTO was nothing special. It was a shell. Not every car needs to be restored to factory specs. All that matters is the owner is happy, and the shop makes money.
Agreed, not every car needs to be a restoration project.
Modifying is what Hot Rodding is all about, always has been.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post

I agree. Iron Resurrection is one of my favorites and Joe Martin is a very talented builder.

Would the OP be happier if he put a restamped GTO drivetrain in it and sold it off as the real deal? The value of that car was lost when the drivetrain was removed imho....

Don

Old 02-21-2019, 03:34 PM
Suspended

I stopped watching Counting Cars a long time ago. I just could not take him calling 1 more person "brother" anymore. Bitchin' Rides, Chasing Classic Cars, Bad Chad and the Martin Brothers are some of the best as of right now IMO.