Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-03-2018, 10:17 AM

Default Cleaning a Quick Fuel tech carb safely

Seems that my car was sitting for quite some time before I picked it up. It's got a QFT carb on it, polished body and red anodized plate and blocks. I need to rebuild it but was afraid the typical carburetor soak remove or damage the red anodize.

Any suggestions on a good way to clean out any varnish and clogged passages without damaging the finish? Thanks

Old 12-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think plain ol caned carb cleaner will hurt the finish.
I have used liquid toilet bowl cleaner as soak, works great. But I bet it will take the finish right off too.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:40 PM
Boost Engineer

My vote would be the can of carb cleaner sprayed on the pieces OUTSIDE in the open air.
8 of my Holley co-workers have died from that cleaner fumes and spray over the years.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
My vote would be the can of carb cleaner sprayed on the pieces OUTSIDE in the open air.
8 of my Holley co-workers have died from that cleaner fumes and spray over the years.

Tom V.
I use the stuff to kill spiders ect. Its almost like Mace if you get it in the eyes. I gave a can of it to my wife when she drove somewhere I did not think was all that safe. Can of that and a Bic lighter and you can take anyone down.
Died ? You mean like cancer ?

Old 12-04-2018, 06:35 AM
Boost Engineer

Died like Cancer? YES

Normally I do not post anymore on the Race Forum but this subject is a Health Concern for all members, especially Racers.

Mind you the employees were around Carburetors daily and if they were providing the free rebuilds/calibration fixes at the track their bodies were exposed to the stuff much more than the average person.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll head your warnings but there have been 40 years in the past when I wasn't as smart.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Died like Cancer? YES

Normally I do not post anymore on the Race Forum but this subject is a Health Concern for all members, especially Racers.

Mind you the employees were around Carburetors daily and if they were providing the free rebuilds/calibration fixes at the track their bodies were exposed to the stuff much more than the average person.

Tom V.
Come on back to the Race Forum Tom. Some people value your opinion.
Don't worry about getting into it with some people. Stuff happens.
Free speech is the best speech.