Old 03-26-2012, 10:35 PM

Default GTO test car

It's been discussed before, but I like to refresh people's memories once in a while. Here is the GTO test car
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto test car.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	279602  

Old 03-27-2012, 04:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The mirror doesn't look like the right time period.
The turn signal in the grille look homemade not like a GM engineering
The placement of the GTO emblem in the grille?

Old 03-27-2012, 06:21 AM

This picture was copied from Car Craft magazine by me. It is legit. The car was used to test blow outs. It was in service for several decades, hence the non-stock parts.

Luke

Old 03-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Isn't it still around? Has it been restored?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes - it was still in use at the DPG when I worked there (1990 - 1994).

It has been restored to it's former (purple) glory and now resides in the GM Heritage Center collection.

K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I realize it's almost unbelievable, but I just received confirmation via email from the GM Heritage Center that this Plum Mist '67 is, in fact, the tire test car from the DPG:

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 03-27-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i've read the thread about this car a few times. love it. i'm sure i forgot some of it tho...

why are the grilles modified? whats on the hood? are there anymore pics of this car? doesnt look rusty in the old pic. stored indoors? did anything more from the story come to the surface? ever crashed? mystery engine? any story about blowing up the original? used for anything else? how was it decided that it should be restored, and not tossed?

Old 03-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can speculate -

Quote:
Originally Posted by F ROCK View Post
why are the grilles modified?
Why not? (lol) Seriously - the DPG is (...sorry - "was"...) populated by a bunch of car nuts in a remote location where controls were a bit looser than in the mainstream GM. They were always playing around with something (Impala SS wagons, extreme Corvettes, off road race pickups, custom GMC motorhomes as chase trucks, etc). Just a natural extension of what they do out there.

Quote:
whats on the hood
An air deflector of some kind. The car was used for "high speed" work and was purely function over form and I think at some point they began to revel in that.

Quote:
any more pics of this car?
I'm sure there are, for as long as it was out there. Probably lots of informal shots in guy's toolboxes - I may even have some somewhere - but I've never seen any other "published" photos.

Quote:
doesnt look rusty in the old pic. stored indoors?
It's Phoenix. Unpainted cars don't rust out there. (It sat outside the whole time).

Quote:
did anything more from the story come to the surface? ever crashed? mystery engine? any story about blowing up the original? used for anything else?
No. Every time they used it (lol). No. Lost oil pressure - probably just wore out in conjunction with laterial g's. I doubt it (all of the air management/quick deflation machinery probably kept it from being useful in other tests) It may have been used in more mundane testing before being commissioned as the tire test car.

Quote:
how was it decided that it should be restored, and not tossed?
Well - again - there's a bunch of motorheads at the DPG so I suspect they knew what they had, especially as as time went on. Additionally, Jeff Denison is the one that informed Eric White (gtoric) and me that it was the same car as the one in the Heritage Center (...I could hardly imagine it....) so I have to believe he had his hand in that as well.

Jeff is not directly (ie formally) involved in the collection or in the management of GM assets (as far as I know) but is highly respected and has a lot of influence on the decisions that are made. You can rest easy knowing that he is keeping an eye on the Pontiacs that GM owns -

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 03-27-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool info, thanks Keith.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978