THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Done correctly by someone like Jim Mott or Scott Tieman restoration would cost 100k. Mike Marsh's pretty much all original '62 Catalina aluminum front end car ended up selling for slightly less, or slightly over I can't remember?, 100k two or three or four years ago and it took him several years of taking it all over the place to auctions to get it gone.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just looked at the ebay pictures carefully and IMO there is something funny about the #s stamped onto the front face of the block it is just too even and perfect. I have several 389/421/428/455 blocks in my shop and have had a number more of them pass through my hands and have never seen one stamped that even with exactly even depth of stamping I don't think? But I could be wrong perhaps that is factory stamped? But the seller admits it is not the original block.

But that would still be a neat car to do for someone with the will and the $$.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO,the code means nothing as it is already been said it is not the born with block.From the pics as I said it looks like a real 62 421 block.Tom

Old 11-21-2017, 10:30 AM

Default re-body

That needs to be re-bodied for sure. That is one crusty bitch.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart - thank you for saving all that for future reference.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 11-21-2017, 11:19 AM

It just went past my 16K limit. I'd say its on its way over 100K.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It will be interesting to follow and see what it actually sells for. Non-original engine and condition I would be flat blown away if it brings anything close to 100K. But I am wrong most of the time. SD Catalina's in Barret Jackson form are bringing in the low 6 figures now. They are down substantially from the crazy numbers they were bringing years ago. Just like the hemi cars, they have really cooled off. Doesn't mean it isn't a super cool car or a fantastic project. I honestly feel if you could get that car for free, you could do a proper restoration on it and make a few bucks. I would never go into this one thinking I was going to retire on the profits from this car. It would be a labor of love. Although rare, it's not an aluminum car.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I rebuild and install the engine, fix the floors, and try and blend that front fender in so it looks somewhat presentable. After that I'd drive the wheels off it!

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 11-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wonder if it was a tow car for another race car?Tom

Old 11-21-2017, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I have several 389/421/428/455 blocks in my shop and have had a number more of them pass through my hands and have never seen one stamped that even with exactly even depth of stamping I don't think?
I think the engine code is above the engine unit number on the early blocks also?

But, as Tom said:
Quote:
IMO,the code means nothing as it is already been said it is not the born with block.From the pics as I said it looks like a real 62 421 block.Tom

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-21-2017, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John, do you know Dealer Code 17-167?

In the Jacksonville Zone, just curious to see where it was originally retailed.

I'm interested in knowing more about the block.

Tom, originally you wrote that it looks like a true '62 SD block.

I thought all '61 & '62 Block castings were p/n 538181 for both 389 and 421 engine assemblies.

According to McCarthy, the '61/'62 SD blocks were the exception to the common use of the transfer lug in that they used the same block casting as the regular 389s, none of which had a transfer lug.

I'm just wondering what visual clues, if any, could be used to confirm it as a block originally part of an SD engine assembly as opposed to a run of the mill '62 block.

Later you said a true '62 421 block. Same question, what visual clues make it a 421 and not a 389?

Aside from the Engine Code being stamped below the Engine Unit No. which may actually be correct for '62 Engine Assemblies, I'm wondering why the EUN is 347311.

This EUN is NOT on McCarthy's list of the '62 Catalina and Grand Prix SDs.

I'm curious what the block cast date is. I'm wondering if it might be reasonable for the 347311 EUN which I believe would mean it was cast around late April whereas the original EUN 435838 had a block that was most likely cast around the early part of June.

If it is NOT a restamp, was there a '62 SD that is NOT on McCarthy's list (actually credited to Fred Simmonds' exhaustive research)?

Fully restored with a correct appearing but NOM, I think a seller would be hard pressed to find a buyer at much above twice the apparent $40K retail for other very nice '62 GPs. I would think $80K should be top dollar. With floor pan replacement and a ton of other body and paint needs, you won't be able to restore it for under $100K and more likely 50-100% above that, then add the purchase price to that total. The former Gartzman '62 GP SD sold for a reported $180K in 2010 out of Milt Robson's collection but I believe that included the commission for the auctioneer. It is also NOM. So maybe I'm way off base. But I think the seller has tried to unload it since without success so maybe he was hosed. If a 2nd one is restored just as nice, hard to know if that would increase or decrease demand for this model. Seller doesn't offer any info about the history of this GP. I seriously doubt that this car has any race history or celebrity owner history, but lack of any known history is likely to depress the value. Would for me anyway.

Restored, it would make for an interesting exhibit at the Pontiac-Oakland Museum to help illustrate the Super Duty story. But as a collector car in and of itself, I think the market for it is very small which won't help the value.

If somebody with deep pockets does restore it, I will admire it. But it would be well outside of my list of a dozen most coveted Pontiacs.

Would that 2nd master cyl have been used for some sort of hydraulic assisted clutch conversion?

Old 11-21-2017, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very cool. When was the last time a SD GP sold? I don't ever recall one. The car is certainly worth restoring based on the rare nature of it.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John,I said appears,if a 3 1/4 main block with the casting it has to be a late 61-62 421 block.Also the area along the lower part of the head surface looks correct for a early block.No clue what the second MC was for.When Petes book was written there was only one survivor left with dubious history on the restoration.Since then a few have surfaced.Ken Colicino had a very original black one.The guy in Nebraska has-had one and I believe another surfaced.A steel car restored with non original block at auction with not much history would be a tough sell over 150 IMO.A rebody in a car with not much if any history would not be a sound deal.Tom

Old 11-21-2017, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

If you have to throw $$$ figures around trying to justify the build, it won't likely come out above water, even though this is a rare car.
If you have the mega $$$ and want to build it for yourself, that's different

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 11-21-2017, 08:02 PM

I met an old guy named Charlie about 25 years ago in Detroit . bit of a hoarder . his house was packed. he told me he had a " special" 62 grand prix he parked a long time ago in a barn in port huron if I remember correctly. this one is a barn find and its in troy.. my memory is a bit fuzzy about it and I thought "yeah right" at the time . I wonder now if possibly its the same car. hmmmmm

Old 11-21-2017, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I see what appears to be the trunk mounted battery. Great car in a killer color combo. Agree that even if free, the cost to restore would exceed the end value......still, a super rare and potentially beautiful car that deserves to be restored.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO View Post
Very cool. When was the last time a SD GP sold? I don't ever recall one. The car is certainly worth restoring based on the rare nature of it.
Didn't sell but high bid at $325K.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0516-24...ix-super-duty/

Resto cost $100K + $XXX EBay might be a great investment!

Old 11-21-2017, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62cat View Post
That needs to be re-bodied for sure. That is one crusty bitch.
It's rough, but I don't think it's all that bad - I've seen a lot worse restored.

As for the cost of restoring versus selling value discussion, as most of us who have gone through the process know it's hardly ever worth restoring any car with the intent of making a profit on it... You do it for the fun of it, and to save a car from the grave.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think being a Grand Prix helps value. I actually would prefer a Catalina. We could buy this car and do everything ourselves, and I still don't know what you would make. Have to sell at an auction. That's 10 percent but does not include registration fees or getting it there. These are not the easiest cars to do either. If you bought for 40k and restored to perfection, sold at auction for 150000 would you make anything? Open sided fours on eun is usually not correct either. Not original block so guess it does not matter as long as 3.25 mains.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Threes on eun are not right either.